The online racing simulator
2015 Kyoto 250: Rules Book

2015 Kyoto 250 - Rules Book

The rules book for the Eighth Annual Kyoto 250 is available now on the NDR website, at this link.

Keep in mind that the NDR Sporting Code is also in effect for this event.
Some questions... Might be answered somewhere in rules or by common sense but figured it does not hurt to ask..

1) When a car spins/fails during SC it has to rejoin at back of field?

2) When formation is wrong: Just move to my place or wait for orders?

3) When excactly is "Green flag" given? When leading car crosses the white line with the green pylons?
(the line behind 77 in picture below)

4) If car is badly damaged in crash, is it allowed to pit asap or still have to wait for "pitlane open"?

5)
Quote :At the one lap to green signal, all tyre warming must cease, and the field shall tighten up
the formation, leaving generally one car width to the side and 2-5 car lengths ahead.

In the practice races it looked more like this:

Before green flag it was even closer, sometimes bumper to bumper but surely not 2-5 car lenghts?

6) Does the SC always wait for all cars to catch up before green flag?
Say the SC (with cars formed up behind) is approaching the last turn but some cars are a bit behind. (for example because they pitted very long.)
Can the cars assume that the SC will wait for them to catch up or should they "race" to the SC?
Attached images
green flag practice.jpg
Quote from Gutholz :1) When a car spins/fails during SC it has to rejoin at back of field?

See NDR Sporting Code VII.3.e. A car must not retake positions lost if spinning or otherwise not able to maintain SC pace or a reasonable gap around it (basically enough to close back up or increase gaps)

Quote from Gutholz :2) When formation is wrong: Just move to my place or wait for orders?

If a car spins out, you should hold formation until instructed to adjust, as it will be caught while I'm checking the grid (multiple times during the pace laps!)

Quote from Gutholz :3) When excactly is "Green flag" given? When leading car crosses the white line with the green pylons?
(the line behind 77 in picture below)

Green flag is given any time around or after that line; on the race start the lead cars must wait for green, on restarts, the leader may begin accelerating any time at or after that line. See Kyoto 250 Rules Book VII.5.d.

Quote from Gutholz :4) If car is badly damaged in crash, is it allowed to pit asap or still have to wait for "pitlane open"?

It may pit under a closed pit, but will be sent to the back of the line on the restart. Severely damaged cars should use the full apron on pit entry, even under SC. Otherwise, under SC, drivers should not use the full apron, and instead enter pitlane after Turn 3. NO DRIVER may stop at pit entry to wait for it to open.

Quote from Gutholz :5)
Quote :At the one lap to green signal, all tyre warming must cease, and the field shall tighten up
the formation, leaving generally one car width to the side and 2-5 car lengths ahead.

In the practice races it looked more like this:

Before green flag it was even closer, sometimes bumper to bumper but surely not 2-5 car lenghts?

The formation needs to be tight, but not that tight - there needs to be room to avoid situations with differing reaction times. I will mention the gaps in driver's briefings in future. It won't be a penalty item just for being closer than 2 car lengths, but if it causes an incident, it can be cited.

Quote from Gutholz :6) Does the SC always wait for all cars to catch up before green flag?
Say the SC (with cars formed up behind) is approaching the last turn but some cars are a bit behind. (for example because they pitted very long.)
Can the cars assume that the SC will wait for them to catch up or should they "race" to the SC?

All drivers who pit on the first or (most times when there's still >16 cars in the race) second lap after pitlane is open are afforded the opportunity to catch the SC queue. Drivers pitting later in an SC are not always afforded this opportunity, but most times we will allow all cars on the leader lap to catch the queue. No driver should feel they need to rush to catch the SC, in fact slowing down as soon as you can see the queue in the distance, but staying somewhat above SC pace is reccomended. Never should anyone suddenly accelerate or brake under an SC period.
It's funny when a participant knows rules better then race director:
Sporting code VIII.4.1.On Ovals, the pit entry will close until the field is caught up behind the Safety Car.
Or K250 rulebook VII.5.a)The pitlane entry will close at the time of a safety car deployment; and will not reopen until the majority of the fieid is caught behind the safety car.

Did not happen today in first caution - half of the field were more ahead of safety car then behind when pit entry was open. Caught me by surprise and gave a great bonus to those,who screwed up mandatory pit strategy. And /wind=0 after the race is a great command to avoid mishaps like the one happened today. :P

Also would like to have some clarification - I recall that tyrewarming was forbidden after 1 to go signal,is it the case here too? Can't find it in rules. Quite messy out there when few still figure skating all over the track while everyone should try to form single file.
#5 - pik_d
At the beginning of the race Provost said that the mandatory pit had to be under green, so that's kind of a moot point. It does look like one person did do their only pit stop during that caution though.

Provost timing out must have distracted us from that, since clearly we didn't catch it during the race.
I think yea, someone deffo did their pits under yellow :/
Quote from Eclipsed :It's funny when a participant knows rules better then race director:
Sporting code VIII.4.1.On Ovals, the pit entry will close until the field is caught up behind the Safety Car.
Or K250 rulebook VII.5.a)The pitlane entry will close at the time of a safety car deployment; and will not reopen until the majority of the fieid is caught behind the safety car.

Sorry got it wrong. As I am not just a Sim Racing Race Director, I got rules confused, sorry.

Quote from Eclipsed :Did not happen today in first caution - half of the field were more ahead of safety car then behind when pit entry was open. Caught me by surprise and gave a great bonus to those,who screwed up mandatory pit strategy. And /wind=0 after the race is a great command to avoid mishaps like the one happened today. :P

Sorry about that, I messed up, I know.

Quote from Eclipsed :Also would like to have some clarification - I recall that tyrewarming was forbidden after 1 to go signal,is it the case here too? Can't find it in rules. Quite messy out there when few still figure skating all over the track while everyone should try to form single file.

I couldn't remember, I will find it somewhere. Thanks.

Quote from pik_d :Provost timing out must have distracted us from that, since clearly we didn't catch it during the race.

Also, pit stops in practice can be sorted after the fact, which was the idea this time.

I know I got some stuff wrong, forgive me, I'll get it right. As I said before, I am not just a Race Director in the sim racing world, I am also Race Director for the the real stuff too so I got a bit confused after being away from lfs for a while. (Woops :S)

Next time will be better.
Quote from Eclipsed :It's funny when a participant knows rules better then race director:

Did not happen today in first caution - half of the field were more ahead of safety car then behind when pit entry was open. Caught me by surprise and gave a great bonus to those,who screwed up mandatory pit strategy.

All pitlane issues during the first SC are because Car 58 maintained full pace, making it so that he caught the queue of cars led by Car 7, which was working under reduced pace, and therefore the SC had to be scrambled early and collect those cars that should have not even been able to be stuck behind the SC had Car 58 reduced pace after the yellow was called. Really, everyone except Cars 33, 58, and 97 reacted properly to the yellow flag. 33 did stay mostly flat-out after recovering from his incident, and car 97 stayed flat out to catch the queue. Really, all cars should reduce pace until catching the queue, no matter how far back. Staying 50-70kph above SC pace will be more than enough to catch the queue in reasonable time.

However I cannot say it was either right or wrong to open the pitlane at that point. It is ultimately the Race Director's call if conditions are right to open the pitlane. "Majority of field" can be and has been interpreted to mean "all cars on the lead lap" - we are not required to wait until every last car is actually in the queue. If the leader and SC are just about to enter T3, and the last car for the queue is midway between T1 and T2, the "all cars in queue" requirement is satisfied as that car would be at the end of the queue by pit entry point.

Quote from Eclipsed :And /wind=0 after the race is a great command to avoid mishaps like the one happened today. :P

Yes, usually done. Not sure why I didn't do it after the session Sunday, then again I don't remember much about Sunday at this point!

Quote from Eclipsed :Also would like to have some clarification - I recall that tyrewarming was forbidden after 1 to go signal,is it the case here too? Can't find it in rules. Quite messy out there when few still figure skating all over the track while everyone should try to form single file.

Tyre warming should cease at the one to green signal.

Quote from pik_d :At the beginning of the race Provost said that the mandatory pit had to be under green, so that's kind of a moot point. It does look like one person did do their only pit stop during that caution though.

Provost timing out must have distracted us from that, since clearly we didn't catch it during the race.

Compulsory pitstop penalties are always to be post-race penalties, as they can be completed up to the final lap, so therefore cannot be reviewed and penalized in time during a race session.

Since the Race Director of the session declared that pitstops were to be taken under green, it will be enforced as such, even though that was not the default intention. Drivers must pay attention at all times for announcements of the sort. If I see that it was mentioned in a time that might have been a "last break" time, I might waive the penalty, as it was a late change. That will be reviewed later on Tuesday.

2015 Kyoto 250: Rules Book
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG