The online racing simulator
Building Desktop PC
(4 posts, started )
Building Desktop PC
Quote from DJMancho :Hi Guys,
I am just wondering, I am not planning to over clock my PC and I have a h80i CPU cooloer and phenem CPU. Would the Thermal tape do any good since it is cheaper and a lot of it.

http://www.pccasegear.com/inde ... cts_id=4712&cPath=335
Cheers

I wouldn't use that stuff on a CPU, the H80i should come with some pre-applied, if not grab some and just apply a pea size - you'll only need to do this once so pointless having more of it?

Also wrong section
Phenoms tend to be fairly hot, and also overclock well. I'd recommend paste and your link is talking about graphics cards so I'd certainly go for paste. It's not expensive so buy/borrow some paste.
Unless your getting into serious O/Clocking then the brand doesn't really matter.

http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-Thermal-Paste

With AMD, apply a pea sized blob and allow the heatsink to spread it, with intel, apply a strip and stet.

It's better to do it properly the first time and not have any issues.

And, go on, overclocking is FUN !!!!!!!
Especially with an AMD processor. And with intel......
You may want to look at a cheap heatsink that works better than the AMD standard, I run a scythe katana on my o/ced xeon in a 775 socket and that's at 38/40 idle, 70 max. And the heatsink was only $20NZ. They work with AMD's as well as intel.

When you get it going run Speccy to keep an eye on the temps. It's not accurate but it gives you a good idea if it's reaching a meltdown.

And it's not really the wrong area, there isn't a right area for that question. Have fun with your build.

Edit; just checked your cooler link. PASTE without a question and overclock it till it boils, then back off a bit. Never waste your money on watercooling unless your overclocking seriously. If your really not overclocking, I'll swap a good aircooler for yours !
We Kiwi's really do luv Aussi's, honest..... And I won't even mention the Bledisloe.................
Cheers Guys, Helped alot

Building Desktop PC
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG