The online racing simulator
Historic Class?
(33 posts, started )
Quote from zoxxy :You can change tyres, right?

Running on wide modern road or race tires would completely change the expirience, you'd loose the natural four wheel drifiting and the car would handle like a very badly setup Formula Ford, if you want to drive historic single seaters GPL really is the only place to do it. I think with a large amount of work LFS could just about pass off cars back to the 70s where a lot of the major changes took place in terms of basic concepts and materials.

I don't think it can be said that a physics engine can be made to suit any car by entering in a few parameters, LFS has been programed for modern tires and suspension systems and materials. The chances of a BRM V16 and Morgan's trademark sliding pilar suspension magically popping up from LFS tweak are about as likely as Eric getting a liscence and building the 'ring along with authentic Castrol R (I'd be happy to be proved wrong )
#27 - Gunn
Quote from ajp71 :I think with a large amount of work LFS could just about pass off cars back to the 70s where a lot of the major changes took place in terms of basic concepts and materials.

I don't think it can be said that a physics engine can be made to suit any car by entering in a few parameters, LFS has been programed for modern tires and suspension systems and materials.

LFS could of course represent any car or period. Physics haven't changed since the planet formed, only cars have. Designing a car with different suspension or tyres is no more difficult than the work already done with car types in LFS.
Quote from Gunn :LFS could of course represent any car or period. Physics haven't changed since the planet formed, only cars have. Designing a car with different suspension or tyres is no more difficult than the work already done with car types in LFS.

Of course the basic physics will stay the same but it would be a lot more work than just adding another turbo 4 production engine.
#30 - Woz
Quote from ajp71 :The FOX runs on a production block in a light racing tune, despite only producing 190 bhp from 8500 ish rpm it's highly stressed for a 2 litre road engine as it's built out of much lighter materials than a normal road enigne hence the much finer degree of accuracy. The GTR cars are again road engine blocks built up for racing purposes they may not have much in common with a road car but they are still using a low revving compromised road block. The FO8 would be powered by a Judd V8 IRL which is a racing engine, unlike the others this engine is designed for racing for starters it's a stressed component (the enigne takes the load of the car) it's built with very low tolerances to cut the weight to an absolute minimum and depending on the budget (and regs regarding engine changing) only built to last several fast runs before a full rebuild).

The Judd V8 is relatively unstressed and low revving as it is usually fitted in single make series and for hillclimbing where budgets are either smaller or can be cut without hindering the competition. True highly stressed racing engines are a rare thing now (seen in F1 only really) with the number of single make championships and increases in the quality of production engines more big production engines are being fitted for racing such as the Renault V6.

Anyone who tells me that just because LFS can simulate a Zetec it can simulate a BDA without a lot of physics being rewritten has little clue what they're talking about. I'd be happy to be proved wrong so if anyone can produce proper racing engines through LFS Tweak I'd be happy to hear from you

Does a BDA not have power and torque curves?

From how you talk you think they are a magical box that does not produce power the same as any other engine on the planet?

What do you believe is missing from LFS that would stop their simulation then?
plus a BDA and a zetec arent really all that different anyway lol
Old formula 1(first generation of them BTW), Camaro SS, 1920 racing cars, Ford T(it would be really funny to race with!)...

Historic Class?
(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG