The online racing simulator
AU1_Down_town
(6 posts, started )
AU1_Down_town
Left a bit unfinished as I ran out of objects to use, but it's still pretty driveable.

And here's a preview video of 1 lap around the layout:

Worked on this for about a few moments in a couple of days and wanted to create something near a racetrack that has a "city-ish" section, this is how it turned out.

It's quite wide for any car, even BF1 is quite easily driveable through the layout from a few minutes of testing. Haven't tested it multiplayer yet but 10 or more cars should fit on the starting grid.
Attached files
AU1_down_town_WIP.lyt - 7.2 KB - 309 views
Really nice layout, which I really like.

However, few things...

...if I was to use this on my server, a lot of drivers would just ignore the chicane near the end (before the hairpin), by crossing the checkpoint and immediately swerve right ignoring totally the first turn by heading for the second. They would also shortcut some other corners.

This is especially true where you use an InSim to record lap times. Most drivers will follow your route, but some will just want to show on top of score sheet, and so will try find where they can cut corners.

On open layouts like this, best to use invisible marshalls to stop drivers cutting corners too much, and to use route markers to make sure they actually follow the route you meant (see attached example).

Also, if using checkpoints on open layout, why make them so big? This allows drivers to take routes outwith track and still hit checkpoint. Use the W and E keys to make them just wide enough to cover width of track.

If running out of objects, where you have a long wall of long barriers, try swapping some of them for the longer armco barriers. You could try barrier - armco - barrier - armco - barrier, etc. If you used them at the spawn point leading to the your start, you could save about 4 objects (some of which [speed humps] I've used at the first chicane corner [in first image]).

Hope you didn't mind the comments I made!
Attached images
AU1_down_town__chicane.png
AU1_down_town__barriers.png
I don't mind about the comments at all, it is more helpful to have some criticism too.
I did try to make it a bit restricted so anyone could not cut it so easily, and i thought of placing the checkpoint right at the start of the curve to avoid that. I placed a few restriction checkpoints on the open area but didn't consider putting them anywhere close to the corners as it would most likely result in an unwanted spectate. But I might end up finishing it one way or another when I may pick up that layout again, thanks.

As for the checkpoints, if there would be an online race and something would happen during the straight i wanted to stretch it so it would be registered if there is, say, a racing incident for example.

Never thought of the armco-barrier combination. I might see and test it hopefully soon.
Very nice track
Looks good and seems not to be as "claustrophobic" as layouts sometimes tend to get.
Use of curbs seems nice too.
Personally I am always in favor to remove the outside-barriers in turns, if they are not needed and do not affect racing line.
Especially in first turn, might be good to allow cars to run wide instead of ending up in barrier. (thinking of the usual T1 chaos)
Alternatives to your original layout....

- Layout 2 is really just a change in the barriers and addition of route checkers and restriction areas compared to your original layout.

- Layout 3 has extra section after Sector 1 marker - in case you miss the braking point for the proper turn.

- Layout 4 as per layout 3 but I've put a start position in for single player hotlapping.

I'm currently using Layout 4 on my server (Sin'rs) for a 3 lap sprint. Track is quite short (I've managed sub 50 secs in a UF1), but I've already seen someone use the extra section I made after Sector 1, thinking that was the proper route, which I thought was quite funny. And the reason I put it there in the first place.
Attached images
AU1 DownTown2.png
AU1 DownTown3.png
AU1_DownTown4.png
Attached files
AU1_down_town2.lyt - 7.4 KB - 249 views
AU1_down_town3.lyt - 7.4 KB - 252 views
AU1_down_town4.lyt - 7.4 KB - 229 views

AU1_Down_town
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG