The online racing simulator
Who or what is initiating these bans?
As a server host I am trying to understand the output of deb.log when it comes to bans.
In the following example, I can see that user1 bans user2 for 1 day, and then removes the ban:

Nov 21 15:52:48 user1 : /ban user2 1
Nov 21 15:52:48 User is banned for 1 day
Nov 21 15:52:49 Leave @ X : 0 username2
Nov 21 15:52:49 0 username2 was banned (user2)
Nov 21 15:53:07 user1 : /unban user2

No problem there.
But I don't understand what initiated the following output:

Nov 21 16:03:45 user2 : /laps 2
Nov 21 16:03:45 /ban user2 99
Nov 21 16:03:45 User is banned for 99 days
Nov 21 16:03:46 Leave @ X : 0 username2
Nov 21 16:03:46 0 username2 was banned (user2)

user2 (an admin) changed the number of laps, and then was banned for 99 days.
This kind of ban, without an apparent "source" has happened more than once.

How can I find out who (or what) is continuously banning user2?

As far as I (and the logs) know, thare are no InSims connected other then LFS World's InSim Relay.
#2 - troy
Maybe they are banned through the lfs remote admin console?
Ah,

Yes, that makes sense, and possibly confirmed. I sent a /msg command via the remote and the log did output:

Nov 22 15:32:42 /msg test
Nov 22 15:32:42 test

Thanks troy.

Maybe Vic can be poked to send some source data long with the command packet to the host. Sure there will always be ways to hide but at least that would be something.
Actually, not even the connection from the LFS Remote "proxy" is logged on the server.

Furthermore, I don't know if LFS has built in encryption but the LFS Remote appears to send the password in plain text over HTTP. And the certificate used for lfsworld.net is only valid for lfs.net/www.lfs.net.
For reference, this has been handled via PM.
Yep, Cheers Vic!

Perhaps the LFS Remote logging capabilities will be extended at some point. But if you need more verbose logging before then disabling Insim Relay should solve the issue with "anonymous" bans.

Edit: or keep your admin password in check!
/admin=password ?
I can log client messages and commands if needed. One would just need to request logging and tell me the host name as I'll not be logging everything (I'm not an intelligence agency, 'ey).
I do log all client connections and that helped Fel's issue.
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :/admin=password ?

Hehe, almost. Turns out one of the admins could not be trusted and spread the password, I guess ...

For that reason it would be nice with per-user passwords or keys that you would be able to revoke. But this will do for now.

Who or what is initiating these bans?
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG