The online racing simulator
Autocross object: Penalty zone
After discussing Round 4 of CityLiga 19, thinking about how to solve the cutting issue on some tracks (especially open configs and autocross layouts), the idea of Australia's V8 Supercars struck my mind: For some circuits they have a certain cutting tolerances, e.g. cutting the corner four times a race won't harm you, you just get warning(s), but on the fifth occasion you get a drive-through-penalty.
How about a circle (like for the path checkers) you can simply place where you deem it necessary: Drivers would get a warning in the chat, admins would get a notification in chat. Also server admins could set the number of cuts they tolerate, which are not shown to the drivers however. Some command line like /setpenzone=n, with n being any positive number excluding 0 would be the number after how many cuts the driver gets penelised, 0 would just create a chat message.

E.g.:
/setpenzone=5
warning, warning, warning, warning, dt

/setpenzone=0
warning, warning, warning, warning, ...
I agree with that idea, but shouldn't the /setpenzone command be something like this?:

/setpenzone=5
warning, warning, warning, warning, warning, dt, sg,
The idea is good (there really was lots of cutting ) but implantation could be different I think.
Imo it is not really needed as LFS-feature because Insim already has all functionality to create such system. In fact I think I have already seen something like that on some servers?
Either one polls the car positions (MCI paket) or one checks for objects being hit.

Such features are imo much better implented via Insim rather than hard-coded in LFS, because much more flexible.
(Similiar goes for things like joker-laps in rallycross.)

But there is one LFS-feature that would make creation of such systems easier:
A circle-object that is placed like checkpoint-circle but does nothing.
Only thing it does, if a car enters the circle then it sends an "autocross object hit"-insim-message. That would remove the need to constantly poll car positions and make placing the restricted zones easier. (LFS editor can be used vs editing numbers in Insim script)
@ rosewood2: You are probably right... but I think an upgrade should only occur when the penalty was not served:

/setpenzone=5
warning, warning, warning, warning, warning, dt (served), warning, ...
warning, warning, warning, warning, warning, dt (not served), sg, ...

@ Gutholz: I, for my taste, rather have things like this or like an in-game tracker, I once had the idea for here as well, hard coded in the game, sothat one does not have to rely on third party products, especially when these things are helpful for racing.
#5 - delis
I think the idea itself is great, but what will happen, if the cutting happened unintentionally? For example your own mistake by bouncing there from another car who is not letting you pass, a crash, slow car, or anything else unusal in place where there are no other options than to avoid it by cutting that specific corner. You could still get penalty for that could you?
Quote from delis :I think the idea itself is great, but what will happen, if the cutting happened unintentionally? For example your own mistake by bouncing there from another car who is not letting you pass, a crash, slow car, or anything else unusal in place where there are no other options than to avoid it by cutting that specific corner. You could still get penalty for that could you?

that's why I thought the people logged in with admin password should get the messages, so they could take a look at it and eventually either cancel the penalty or let it run in that =0 mode to decide on their end when it is worth a penalty. That counts for league racing, for public racing the n one has to test what is a sensible figure, but if you cut 5 times without need and the sixth time you have to to avoid an accident, it would just be bad luck in that example, but still an unforced error by the one cutting the previous times. If you want to exceed this, you have to take the responsibilities for it.
What happens when you have people cutting multiple turns multiple times?

Say you're on your 3rd warning for turn 1, 1st for turn 2, ok for turn 3, 1st for turn 4, ok turn 5, 5th on the chicane, etc, etc? Get a bit hard for driver to remember penalty qty for specific corners - especially on long races.

Isn't it not better to just have a penalty marker circle a bit within the track boundary, which allows a driver to put a wheel a little off track, but not excessively so, and this will (maybe eventually) teach drivers to respect the track boundaries.

Once drivers get spec'd few times for cutting corners, they either learn rules - or leave server!

However, I do like your idea for a circle object that you can bind an InSim command to (chat, action, etc), as currently you can only use a square x,y zone. Would also make it so much easier to place rather than try have to work out coordinates.
Attached images
Penalty Marker.png

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG