The online racing simulator
New InSim packet to set handicaps per car for multi-class servers
This new packet IS_HCP sets intake restriction or added mass. See InSim.txt

It is per car type (e.g. XFG / UFR) and affects all players with that car equally.

This can be useful for example to enforce use of lower power grippy cars without the user needing to edit their setup.

It is fully compatible with 0.6F.
https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/86202
I have now tested it. It works flawlessly although the ability to set UCID would make it even more useful (UCID = 255 for all players). I suppose there are pertinent reasons to omit this ability?

EDIT: Sorry I should learn to triple-check before I post. In the 0.6F12 change list you mentioned "(affects all drivers using those cars)" so I assume UCID is out of the question ;-)
Correct, this was possible to implement in a compatible way, because it uses an old system, in which the master server can provide handicaps for class balancing.

Only in this case, the host provides the handicaps and then would ignore master handicaps.
Quote from Scawen :Correct, this was possible to implement in a compatible way, because it uses an old system, in which the master server can provide handicaps for class balancing.

Only in this case, the host provides the handicaps and then would ignore master handicaps.

At what point can we start discussing new packets and features for InSim?
Well I already have plans for the Westhill update:

- car reset at X,Y,Z / heading with or without damage repaired
- option to avoid lowering to ground when placing object

You can discuss new packets but I don't want to get involved at this time because I have serious work to do for Westhill. I'd prefer to avoid distractions for now and would rather see InSim packets that have already been discussed and are wanted by several programmers, and the reason for the packet explained in some way that I can understand. I just don't want to sift through dozens of packets for individual programmers' needs. It's too confusing.
So how about this, in the Programmer's Forum, we make a thread for each feature we want as a poll. Should it make 50% of the vote in favor would you then consider it? There are a bunch of features that I think would make a great addition too InSim if we can get them onto the system. But we need you to be apart of that conversation.
Quote from sicotange :...the ability to set UCID would make it even more useful...

I'd just like to add my +1 to this.
It would make true multi-class racing (ie GT1+GT2) much easier, amongst other things.

I appreciate this isn't a short term thing, I'm just getting it on the radar for future.

Not sure if I should make an RFC for this in addition to this thread - if anyone thinks I should, please let me know.
It's complete nonsense because a GT2 setup is more then just putting an air restriction and/or added mass on it. It's trying to work around the problem of not having a server which can offer default setups.

Besides, people are not learning anything.
Quote from cargame.nl :It's trying to work around the problem of not having a server which can offer default setups.

Preventing cars joining the track with the wrong restrictions (by spectating the player) has been possible for a long time. The way I see it, the HCP packet was intended to make everyone's life easier, especially the player; it doesn't really add anything that couldn't be done before, it's just considerably less painful to do now.

I forgot about success ballast when writing my previous post, and I'm sure there are other cases where it could come in handy (maybe alternative penalties to drive-through, as the handicaps can be changed live).

The obvious uses are rarely the only uses...
Quote from Degats :it doesn't really add anything that couldn't be done before, just considerably less painful to do.

OK lets repeat myself endlessly

GT1 setup + air restriction / weight != GT2 setup

--
A GT2 setup also has different tires on it, different suspension settings, different gearings, different wing settings and different -everything-. Same counts for UFB or any heavy restricted car. This kind of automation keep people dumb. Easier for the player yes, but dumb. For cruising maybe not a problem but people driving around 10 seconds slower a lap on a racing server are just as dangerous. Better not having them join the track at all. Besides, whats the point anyway to have that kind of people on the track with slow setups to begin with? They cannot put themselves up for any challenge? Only thing they are doing is being moving obstacles for the people which have a proper custom setup.

There are not many global LFS recognized customized car classes around. In my opinion it's just better to offer from LFS car select menu some kind of preset. You see this @other sims aswell for example Ass.Corsa BMW; stage1 stage2 stage3.

Actually thats quite logical and everyone understands that. This restriction thing is just a workaround for the lack of LFS which doesn't offer different car variations on it's own. I don't understand this, it's so easy to milk content by using the same content twice or triple. Scirocco road version, Scirocco race version, Scirocco family version
Yes, I understood you about the GT2 thing, which is why I didn't mention it again and suggested other, more reasonable uses for a per-player version

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG