The online racing simulator
I know it may be early.
But there's some more information?
Eric is most probably playing with the optimiser and is asking some more function in the editor
Yes, we are still working on the Westhill updates. Eric sent me a test version with most of the new paths done. This brought up some more editor improvements I needed to do. I've been looking around the track. Eric is still finishing some things and fixing some issues. I've been trying to get the remaining things off my list. This stage seems to go on a while. Some things take longer than expected and other unexpected things come up. But it's all about making improvements to LFS so it's all good, apart from the wait.
Quote from Scawen :Some things take longer than expected and other unexpected things come up.

Sounds like me and my dad changing rear struts at the weekend.

Haynes:

1. Unbolt top with a 14mm... etc..
2. Disconnect roll bar drop-link, but first make sure you... etc..
3. Unbolt bottom, being careful to... etc..
4. Remove strut.

We anticipated step 2 being a bit tricky, but it was a cinch thanks to some clever thinking by Mazda.

'Remove strut' on the other hand, took twice as long as all the other steps put together, and because it was one sentence in the book, we assumed it would be the easy bit.

I guess that when LFS reaches v1.0, these changes to the editor tools to make them easier or more functional or powerful, could end up benefiting the community directly too. Even if now they are invisible.

In my own line of work, it's always a case of being too busy chopping the wood to sharpen the axe. It must be nice having complete control with little compromise.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, we are still working on the Westhill updates. Eric sent me a test version with most of the new paths done. This brought up some more editor improvements I needed to do. I've been looking around the track. Eric is still finishing some things and fixing some issues. I've been trying to get the remaining things off my list. This stage seems to go on a while. Some things take longer than expected and other unexpected things come up. But it's all about making improvements to LFS so it's all good, apart from the wait.

Thank you!

Good job. Please keep us informed
Any small step takes informed our anxiety. : D

Google translation.
Thank you for the quick update, keep it up!
Quote from EeekiE :In my own line of work, it's always a case of being too busy chopping the wood to sharpen the axe. It must be nice having complete control with little compromise.

indeed, while working as a programmer for 10 years the thought often came "why is this damn axe so dull"

you're right that it's nice to have complete control, however there is a price to pay. it's expensive to do things your own way and you have to trust in yourself that the investment you're making will pay off some day.
Quote from Scawen :...Eric sent me a test version with most of the new paths done....

I wonder how many km of off road the new WestHill will get . A proper rally (or rallycross) car will be needed soon ^^
Quote from Flotch :I wonder how many km of off road the new WestHill will get . A proper rally (or rallycross) car will be needed soon ^^

I'm up to 7 miles so far, just around the sides lfs://join=PiranMOTORallyStage4 7m

I can barely wait to get my hands on the new one with the accessible off-road bits
Quote from Scawen :Yes, we are still working on the Westhill updates.

I know it can be very annoying to do, but thank you very much for keeping us up to date on what might seem trivial. It means a lot to everyone who is counting the unknown number of days until they can take a look themselves.

Vain
Quote from EeekiE :
Quote from Scawen :Some things take longer than expected and other unexpected things come up.

Sounds like me and my dad changing rear struts at the weekend.

Haynes:

1. Unbolt top with a 14mm... etc..
2. Disconnect roll bar drop-link, but first make sure you... etc..
3. Unbolt bottom, being careful to... etc..
4. Remove strut.

We anticipated step 2 being a bit tricky, but it was a cinch thanks to some clever thinking by Mazda.

'Remove strut' on the other hand, took twice as long as all the other steps put together, and because it was one sentence in the book, we assumed it would be the easy bit.

Experience tells us that that little 1 line in fact opens the pits of hell. I've learnt that those simple 2 words in number 4 were carried out on a car with less than 30,000 km, and didn't require the use of a large hammer, a long bar, 2 cans of WD40, skinned knuckles, learning several new words from your father, possibly a gas axe, and serious consideration of the use of thermite.

A bit like LFS updates.....

Should I raise Rockingham, or not........?
Probably not.
Never trust a Haynes Manual Difficulty Rating. Ever.

Their test track is rated as a 1 spanner yet somehow our driver still managed to stuff a single seater there.

On topic, I still can't wait. Loving the informative Scawen though
Quote from McGherkin :Never trust a Haynes Manual Difficulty Rating. Ever.

"Haynes Book of Lies" my mates and I used to call it.
Quote from Racer X NZ :Should I raise Rockingham, or not........?
Probably not.

You may try, but it's quite heavy, I'm not sure if you will be able to raise it just by a bit... Unless you are some tectonic force...

(sorry, I couldn't resist ... I'm like superconductor today...)
Hi, just a quick message so you know we are still working hard on the update!

I took a few days just now to make a new system that allows for higher detailed fences without increasing the number of objects. It is a flexible system that allows a repeating model to be placed along any of the 'segments' that are used for tracks and fences in LFS.

This has been used now to improve the appearance of some of the fences and barriers in the new Westhill and allowed the removal of some alpha test textures, because geometry can now be used for repeating supports. I was able to write some auto-repair code that saved Eric from having to manually edit thousands of fence segments.

Eric is finishing some models and has been filling some of the distant landscape scenery. I still have a few things to do left on my lists. I'm not really sure how challenging some of them will be. After the weekend I'll need to examine my notes and get them together onto fewer sheets of paper and I'll know where I stand then.
Thanks for the update Scawen, I just hope you can get updates/content out in the very near future at a decent pace.

It is indicative of the big delays in LFS that Leagues are no longer viable and public racing has never been so low, so I hope you will think about this and prioritise in the right way.

I absolutely believe that long term, the tyre physics are the #1 thing that will make LFS a fantastic sim, but it really has got to a point with the delays that you are in real danger of losing 10 years of community moving onto other sims...
Great to know that you guys are still working hard on the update. Keep up the awesome work.
Sounds very good, can't wait to test
9 Mb inline movie, awesome.
That gif... awesome keep up the great work, hope to see some new things soon!
This thread is closed

Progress with the Westhill version
(525 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG