Post your watch!
(34 posts, started )

Poll : Do you wear a watch?

No
Yes
What year is this?
What is a watch?
Post your watch!
Since there is a thread for everything else already, then why not this.

This is mine:
I too have a LG Brand smartwatch, but I haven't used it a while now.

... once it arrives from Amazon.
Quote from bmwe30m3 :I too have a LG Brand smartwatch, but I haven't used it a while now.

Fancy watchstrap, but display is too small imho.
Yeah, older model, but the strap is fancy, it's leather I think, if not leather, imitation leather.
Maybe you should change the poll answers to: Yes, I wear a real watch. No, I wear a smart'watch'. No.
Quote from bmwe30m3 :Yeah, older model, but the strap is fancy, it's leather I think, if not leather, imitation leather.

It looks great, but I'm a bit worried about the glare on the screen. Is it okay for outside use?
came for free with a subscription, needs a "reload" every ... two years? Can measure time, date, and even short timeframes in seconds. No bluetooth, no calls, no function to show photos or anything. Pretty scratch and drop resistant.
Attached images
2014-09-26.jpg
As I don't sleep with a watch on my wrist, I don't mind dropping it in to the wireless charger once a day. Do smartwatches need a lot of further development for average joes? That's obvious - we're still barely in the first generation of wearable devices.

The concept behind them is still wonderful. Not having to dig up your phone just to read an email/SMS or set a quick reminder sounds brilliant to me. There's also the geeky stuff like using it for unlocking/starting your car, adjusting home lighting and heating or simply using it as a remote control for a DSLR.

There will be a ton of different applications that people haven't even thought of yet for smartwatches. Looking at photos and videos on a tiny screen isn't one of them, unlike what Apple wants to believe.
Matrixi, That's pretty much what I use my watch for, and this has a bit better battery aswell, lasts for like 3 days on a charge.
It's quite comfortable to flick your wrist to read a notification/sms instead of taking your phone out of your pocket, especially if your hands are full.
The Gear 2 Neo was my choice because there wasn't much smartwatches available then, it was Samsung, Pebble or Sony, I personally can't stand the display of Pebble, and Sony smartwatch seemed a bit primitive, so I got the Gear 2 Neo(and Neo because I didn't think that camera was worth the extra money).
Plus the Gear 2 has 4GB built-in storage for music and stuff, so you can put music on it, play through bluetooth headphones and go for a jog or something like that, without needing your phone.

Ontop of all functionality, it's cool to talk to your watch(not in public), it's like childhood dream come true, watch knight rider and all that stuff.

Boris Lozac, don't really know how to respond to you, you were the guy who owned HTC Wildfire(aka one of the, if not the worst android phones on market, crappy specs + heavy UI), and acted like it was the best thing since sliced bread, then switched to windows phone and then claimed that windows phone is actually the best thing since sliced bread, and how crappy android is.
Quote from bmwe30m3 :

Boris Lozac, don't really know how to respond to you, you were the guy who owned HTC Wildfire(aka one of the, if not the worst android phones on market, crappy specs + heavy UI), and acted like it was the best thing since sliced bread, then switched to windows phone and then claimed that windows phone is actually the best thing since sliced bread, and how crappy android is.

Don't take it personally/seriously I just don't consider that a watch, a wearable phone perhaps? Charging a watch every 2, 3 days? Too hard to pull the phone out of pocket, seriously? Just poor excuses for bunch a gadget freaks who don't know what a real watch is :P

Here's mine

Yeah, screw smartphones too. Everyone should just get a REAL phone that only does phonecalls and SMS. It's easy to knock on something you haven't even used or tried.

In 5 years time, I suspect smartwatches will be getting as popular as smartphones are now. A few generations of SOC development to improve the battery life will do wonders, until then they are enthusiast devices for us "gadget freaks".
Quote from Boris Lozac :Just poor excuses for bunch a gadget freaks who don't know what a real watch is :P

I've been used so called real watch for many years. To be honest - I'm using my 3rd one right now. I don't mind watch on my wrist to be smarter, but it has to look good. Samsung, Apple and LG fails to design nice watch, their rounded rectangle design is just so ugly. Only Moto360 with traditional round shape looks somewhat good.

But even if I like concept of smartwatches, I won't get them in next years. Why? Beacause smartwatches are still lacking of features for me and also the reason what Matrixi pointed out - those are basically first generation of wearables.
This baby was a birthday present, a few years ago. When I don't wear it, I feel naked.

There are still some things smartwatch struggles to do. Reading messages is fine and one handed user experience is not a problem either imho. Smaller screen is not really a problem either. Smartphones however do have cameras and don't need any additional devices for making phone calls. You can't take selfies without camera. And to make a phonecall with smartwatch you need some kind of headset (I think). Which means that if you forget the headset home you can't make phonecalls. Which also means you need to carry more stuff with you.

The best benefit of smartwatch is that it is very difficult to forget into your car. Unless you have detachable hand.
I don't think there even are many standalone smartwatches that function without a phone. They act more like an extension for your phone by hooking up to it via bluetooth.

Android wear is exclusive (for now) to android phones, Apple watch will be exclusive to IOS devices, and Pebble is mostly universal, but it's also pretty limited feature wise and quite bulky in its design.

It's a pity that Motorola went with an ancient energy hungry SOC on the moto 360, but I'm willing to put up with one day long battery life simply because it looks so much better than anything else out there.
Matrixi, I think that the Samsung Gear S will be standalone.

Hyperactive, You don't need a headset to make calls with a smartwatch, it does have a microphone and a loudspeaker.
Yeah, I'm aware there are standalone watches which is why I said there aren't many rather than any... but my point is that using a smartwatch as a single standalone device is a horrible idea! They work the best as an extension, for now atleast.

Just look at that Gear S for example, typing on such a tiny screen seems like a wonderful user experience.

Anyway, post more watches people! While I'm a fan of the upcoming smartwatch technology, I still find the mechanical beauty of ordinary watches to be great to behold.
I got this one:

Charges from (sun)light, gets the time from radio signal - it's the perfect low maintenance watch, the only thing I do is change to summertime/DST or another timezone when I'm on the road... The build quality is excellent as well, this truly might just be the last watch I ever need...

http://www.edifice-watches.eu/euro/lineup/eqw-m710db-1a1er/
Sounds and looks a lot better than a useless gadget around your wrist that you have to recharge every few hours. Let me check the time... oh wait the battery is dead again.
How long until we start wearing smartphones on our foreheads?
Obviously a fashion and status item only nowadays, but if one has a bug, one can't help it. Can't afford omegas or IWC's but you can find swiss (ETA) movements at decent prices.
Attached images
DSC_0014.jpg
Got tired waiting and cancelled the Amazon order, bought from 'murica instead.

It's even better than I ever imagined. Now I just hope the back won't crack - atleast there aren't any dead or stuck pixels.

Post your watch!
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG