The online racing simulator
Star Citizen now has the Murray Cup available
I was wondering, if anyone else has backed, and fancies a LFS.net mini time-trial? We'd probably have to do something like pasting screenshots or the like, for now, but I figured it'd be fun.

If you don't know what Star Citizen is; it's an upcoming space trading and combat simulator. Currently in pre-alpha, smaller components are being released to backers to allow them to experience the game as it's being created.

The Murray Cup is an in-fiction event that allows players to race against each other and is part of the 2nd module, called Arena Commander. There are other modes as well all involving combat

If you want to check it out, I've uploaded a small video of a 3 lap race at the basic circuit (there are more complex ones) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thZFTJdQ3Mg (forgive the crap quality and black bars, I relied on shadowplay, which was a mistake).

There are a bunch of ships available, unfortunately as it's pre-alpha and there's no real game as such at the moment, you cannot earn new ships in-game (which is a bit of a bummer as they're **** expensive imho, even if you are supporting the development it's getting a bit insane). When it's finished this will be possible.

I'm flying a 300i, which is one of the slower ships. There's a few m50s at least 1 350r in that race. Both are about 50% quicker than my ship - however most people don't have any race-craft at the moment so it's reasonably easy to do well (for now).
Star citizen, where you pay for being able to buy a ship in the future.
Quote from CodeLyoko1 :Star citizen, where you pay for being able to buy a ship in the future.

At the moment it should be considered that if you buy a ship (even for one thats not available), you're backing the development of the game. A cynical person would say that by releasing the pre-alpha modules and some ships just being flat out better, and not available to all, is just a money grab. I'm a little bit in that boat now that they've raised 55 mil in crowd funding and the cost of the ships and starter packages seem to be rising.

Now, I will admit that the prices of some of the packages and standalone ships is starting to get a little ridiculous. I'm also a little sceptical that the game is going to be up being as Chris Roberts keeps promising.

That all said, I backed when it was on Kickstarter and I was wondering if anyone else in the LFS community had. I know we've got some Elite Dangerous backers also, and I figured perhaps there was some overlap Would be good to bring across friends from one game to another. Admittedly I've been rather absent from the LFS forums recently.
#4 - bbman
Backer here... Haven't tried the racing yet though... I don't think I could be setting records, focused more on being able to defend myself than speed - I think that's more useful most of the time...
Quote from bbman :Backer here... Haven't tried the racing yet though... I don't think I could be setting records, focused more on being able to defend myself than speed - I think that's more useful most of the time...

I'm pretty bad with the whole dogfighting thing at the moment. In the PU I doubt it'll be the role that i'll take most of the time That said, I'm finding the high speed aspects of racing is really helping my ship control (with KB+M). Might be worth giving it a go.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG