The online racing simulator
#1 - maeku
PS3 pad and high sensitivity
As the topic sais, I am having a problem with the sensitivity with PS3 pad.. I tried fidling with the settings but it does not seem to help much. So, is there any way to setup the sensitivity except the turn rate, compensation and smoothness?

Even fidling with ps3 pads deadzone ain't helping.

Otherwise there's no problem what so ever, only the turn rate being far too fast when you want to turn a little. Wheels just tend to turn far to fast and much, it all ending up in understeer.

The sensitivity I am trying to find is alike playing Forza4, this being far from it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
#2 - Tommy
Forzas sensitivity is selective - that is more sensitivity when countersteer is needed to steer outwards and less to steer into corner when oversteer happens. I find this kind of aid very confusing and personally hate it. I have used a pad (starting from ps1 dualshock) for 14yrs in LFS and developed a strong thumb sense I guess

Here are my tips:
1) Get rid of all deadzones, try to map whole physical stick range to ingame wheel movement (so none gets wasted)
2) Set steer compensation to about 0.6 for drifting, 0.4 for racing (more linear)
3) Use very limited steer range in car setup for grip racing (I recently discovered that 16 degrees is great ratio of countersteer ability and "feel")
4) If your steering is snappy try to filter/smooth it out (forgot the setting name) just high enough till it doesn't feel laggy

Try to use setups that have understeer feel so you won't struggle with countersteer and use some rigid position (I tend to rest my elbows on knees) so your pad won't float around in midair.

LFS has great steer response without any aids comparing to forza, take advantage of it - some people struggle with 900deg wheel turn to make a fast lock2lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C96uovYkiQs 36 degree turn, 0.6 steer compensation. Notice that it is hard to feel the end of steer range so I still flutter a bit.
#3 - maeku
What comes for Forza, I dont know does it still aid you in some way when you've turned all the aids in the menues off, since that's how I play it.. But anyway, I try the '16 degrees' thing if it helps.. Atleast it makes sense when you say it, if it really works that way..

Also forgot to mention that I end up fishtailing alot in straight when I just try to adjust the angle a little, cause the stick is just too damn sensitive. And when you drift the counter steering is also a tad too fast even the car setup IS understeering by default.

Anyhow, lets give the 16-degree diet a try.

Thanks.
Yes, in Forza there is still some degree of assistance even if you turn off everything in the menu. So the good response you get there is not from some special sensitivity level. (Theoretically there is no such thing called "sensitivity " in gamepad steering control, only linearity curve.)

16 degree lock is good as long as you're under control. But once the rear goes out it's more difficult to save.

Just a few days ago I did a "anti-fry-front-wheels system" script which limits your steering angle, but there is no response so far. You can see the discussion and the code in this thread. Can you give it a try and report how well it works for you?

Make sure to use no steer compensation in-game. The script already has linearity control.
#5 - Tommy
This script will definitively work I have made my own controler proxy too, using .net only but it does not alter steering output.

IMO it is not good to take all the hard work from the driver since it will limit him at some point in the future (tracks are 3D, the script takes 2D slip angle into account only, while small concave can make a difference in grip).

on the other hand it is cool for casual gamers...

Makeu: try to use very understeer sets (lots of rear toe-in, stiff front swaybar) and once you find that the understeer limits you, lower it a bit.
Current very fast, high-end setups are neutral and hard to control because they use all the available grip.
This WILL make you better if you want to get serious

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG