The online racing simulator
Full gamepads support
(16 posts, started )
#1 - nacim
Full gamepads support
Hi guys !

As some knows, my wheel is broken, so I use a DUALSHOCK 3 to play to LFS.
MotionInJoy emulates it like a Xbox 360 controller, so I don't have compatibility problems. But I think that LFS should have a proper gamepad support for people that don't have enough money to buy a good wheel.

So, I propose :
- Steering aid option : Even if I don't use it, I think that beginners need this kind of help to correctly drive and 'get the trick'
- More fluid steering : Even with analog smoothing at max, it's not really cool and need some improvements
- Vibration support : For me, what's make the game really immersive when using a gamepad, some games have impressive vibration integration (Assetto Corsa, Forza Motorsport)

Sorry for my bad English !
Sounds like a good idea to me. Instead of making the steering linear to the stick, make it work kinda like keyboard steering.
Well, now that LFS has moved to DX9 as well, XInput could be nice for those that use Xbox controllers for LFS. XInput (instead of DirectInput) for compatible controllers allows for split triggers along with more precise stick movements.
#4 - nacim
It is possible to use both (XInput and DirectInput) ?
So Scawen don't have to rewrite all the control system just to include gamepad support.
XInput is quite simple interface designed for XBox 360 gamepads only. Wheels and joysticks still need DirectInput to support force feedback, shifters, analog pedals etc...
#6 - nacim
But the support for gamepad need to support all kind of gamepad, not only Xbox 360 controller.
Generic gamepads can still use DirectInput like they do now...
#8 - nacim
Well I see, and what about a more smoothed direction curb ? It could be infinity better that this one, where when we turn full left or right, the direction goes immediatly on left or right (even with analog smoothing, it just slows the effect :facepalm
Quote from nacim :Well I see, and what about a more smoothed direction curb ? It could be infinity better that this one, where when we turn full left or right, the direction goes immediatly on left or right (even with analog smoothing, it just slows the effect :facepalm

Analogue steer smooth does exist...
I've just readed that XInput is the only way to use vibration on Xbox 360 gamepad (or any XInput devices).

Quote :XInput devices (that is, the Xbox 360 controllers) will have vibration functionality only when using XInput APIs

Source: MSDN Microsoft

Now we have a real use for XInput, and a secondary effect is that we can separate the two trigger buttons.
Quote from nacim :I've just readed that XInput is the only way to use vibration on Xbox 360 gamepad (or any XInput devices).

Now we have a real use for XInput, and a secondary effect is that we can separate the two trigger buttons.

No. LFS doesn't support vibration feedback anyways, so Still sepearate triggers is the only reason.
Quote from pärtan :Sounds like a good idea to me. Instead of making the steering linear to the stick, make it work kinda like keyboard steering.

Yep. Use relative positioning with joypad input like keyboard press but with "pressure". That would make joypad way more playable. Adding FFB effect to the mix would be interesting as well.

You can already do relative positioning with PPJoy/vJoy and a custom feeder, if really necessary.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :No. LFS doesn't support vibration feedback anyways, so Still sepearate triggers is the only reason.

I know that LFS doesn't support vibration, but as my first post says, it could be an improvement to do, so XInput can be helpful.
Quote from nacim :Hi guys !

As some knows, my wheel is broken, so I use a DUALSHOCK 3 to play to LFS.
MotionInJoy emulates it like a Xbox 360 controller, so I don't have compatibility problems. But I think that LFS should have a proper gamepad support for people that don't have enough money to buy a good wheel.

So, I propose :
- Steering aid option : Even if I don't use it, I think that beginners need this kind of help to correctly drive and 'get the trick'
- More fluid steering : Even with analog smoothing at max, it's not really cool and need some improvements
- Vibration support : For me, what's make the game really immersive when using a gamepad, some games have impressive vibration integration (Assetto Corsa, Forza Motorsport)

Sorry for my bad English !

with the right mix of analogue steer smooth and steer reduction you can get the steering quite good.

Ive done 418919 Km/260311 Ml with the ps3 dual shock and find it rather good. For full support i think it is windows that lacks the capability and thats why motionjoy is needed

for seperate triggers ect that has always been possible aswell as using as combined
I still use my old Xbox Type-S gamepad for many games (having to use x360ce for newer games that only support Xinput tough) and still works great. This old Type-S along with DualShock 2 & 3 all have pressure sensitive buttons and while motioninjoy makes it possible to use this neat feature for PS2 games on PC, I was wondering if it was possible to use it for PC games as well (such as LFS of course).
Quote from Skytrill :I still use my old Xbox Type-S gamepad for many games (having to use x360ce for newer games that only support Xinput tough) and still works great. This old Type-S along with DualShock 2 & 3 all have pressure sensitive buttons and while motioninjoy makes it possible to use this neat feature for PS2 games on PC, I was wondering if it was possible to use it for PC games as well (such as LFS of course).

I believe it should do but will check later to be 100% sure
The tilt control would've been something that i would of thought wasnt supported but it is

Full gamepads support
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG