The online racing simulator
No LFS on mac?
(21 posts, started )
No LFS on mac?
Hi, i've just started like "high school" (gymnasiet) in sweden and we get a MacBook Pro. The first thing I thought was like "YES! Now I can start playing LFS again!!". But... Then I started to realize that LFS doesn't work on Mac.. Bummer... Is there ever going to be a Mac version of LFS or do I simply have to buy a new computer? Because that, I can't afford.. My girlfriend also has a Mac so can't borrow hers either. I saw that you can play LFS on mac with Crossover from Codeweavers, has anyone tried it? Does it work good or does it lag?

(My english might not be the best)
Some say WINE works very well. Then again - I have no clue about it. Google will help you more then I.
I used Winebottler and it worked. (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/)

No clue about steering input like a Wheel, I just quickly checked it and Keyboard/Mouse worked.

Regards,
Steffen
As Warper mentions, Winebottler does work, but wheel support is terrible as the hardware manufacturers haven't written any support for any wheels. I haven't ever tried running Logitech's tools inside of Wine to see if that works.

Boot Camp is the best way to run LFS, but it does require a Windows licence as you're dual booting.
#5 - Kova.
Install windows on mac thanks to dual boot and then you can install LFS
Tried using latest winebottler with 0.6F, all works fine including controllers but for some reason none of the track ads or driver suit .jpg files load during start.

Will try wineskin later if that works better.
Quote from Matrixi :Tried using latest winebottler with 0.6F, all works fine including controllers but for some reason none of the track ads or driver suit .jpg files load during start.

This is most likely related to the DX9 switch. Some native DX9 DLLs are needed to get the textures to load properly.
Yup, was thinking along the same lines. Will have to see if these wine bundling programs have any options to get the required DX9 files included.

*Edit: Copied D3DX9_43.dll to the LFS folder, all textures load now. Maybe including the DLL with LFS would be an idea to make it easier for people on Wine?

Getting 60 FPS at 2560x1600 with integrated Intel graphics so performance is great with Wine on OS X.
Quote from Matrixi :Yup, was thinking along the same lines. Will have to see if these wine bundling programs have any options to get the required DX9 files included.

*Edit: Copied D3DX9_43.dll to the LFS folder, all textures load now. Maybe including the DLL with LFS would be an idea to make it easier for people on Wine?

Getting 60 FPS at 2560x1600 with integrated Intel graphics so performance is great with Wine on OS X.

Correct performance is good on OS X

If someone can ask LFS dev's I'll bottle a Wine + LFS application for OS X that they can redistribute !

I need permission to include LFS witht he wine files for an OS X all-in-one application
Quote from cmanns :Correct performance is good on OS X

If someone can ask LFS dev's I'll bottle a Wine + LFS application for OS X that they can redistribute !

I need permission to include LFS witht he wine files for an OS X all-in-one application

That would be great! You should go ahead with that idea.
South Park. Season 15, Episode 1....
Watch it and 'therestheapplejoke.avi'

So, is it better boot camped (win) or with wine ?
Just wondering if anyone has done head to head testing on the same hardware.
As LFS is processor based I'm interested in seeing how good Linux (OSX) is on the same platform.
It'll run just as well as it does on Windows when bootcamped, WINE's performance will be considerably worse.
Quote from MadCatX :It'll run just as well as it does on Windows when bootcamped, WINE's performance will be considerably worse.

Not true, I get near same performance OS X or windows

I use CS:GO, etc on OS X and prefer it on OS X over Windows

System admin of 9+ years
Quote from Racer X NZ :
As LFS is processor based I'm interested in seeing how good Linux (OSX) is on the same platform.

OSX is not Linux. It's a UNIX, but uses Mach as a kernel and BSD for userland along with a proprietary windowing system.
Quote from cmanns :I use CS:GO, etc on OS X and prefer it on OS X over Windows

Is that through wine or natively? CS:GO is native on Linux & Mac, using OpenGL instead of DirectX - it will run slightly better than on Windows in some hardware/driver configurations, whereas DirectX via wine will in theory always be slower to some extent. Again, how much slower depends on the game/wine version/hw/drivers.
Quote from Degats :Is that through wine or natively? CS:GO is native on Linux & Mac, using OpenGL instead of DirectX - it will run slightly better than on Windows in some hardware/driver configurations, whereas DirectX via wine will in theory always be slower to some extent. Again, how much slower depends on the game/wine version/hw/drivers.

It's interestkng actually. The way Valve implemented OpenGL was actually a DirectX emulator in the core. The graphics engine calls DX methods, but those get captured and translated on the fly to OpenGL.
I use VMware Fusion, works OK (however don't expect high frame rates)
So I'm the only guy with almost identical frame rate under Windows and WINE again?

No LFS on mac?
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG