The online racing simulator
Car pedals question
(34 posts, started )
Quote from Rappa Z :My brother's VW Jetta has the most annoying clutch pedal I've ever experienced. The first few cm have almost no resistance, but then there's a sort of 'crest' right around the bite point where it gets really heavy. You have to press harder to get over the 'crest' and then you end up tumbling down the other side as it seemingly loses resistance again.

So you've either got all clutch or no clutch unless you have fantastic coordination and are really focusing on the clutch.

I agree, my Jetta has the 2nd worst clutch of anything I've driven. The first goes to every Ford I've ever driven. Those thoughts are only due to the fact that I've never driven a manual GM. If a GM clutch is anything like the steering and braking systems, then I assume they would come out on top of the worst list.
Which is funny because I find the clutch in my Jetta (2001) to be pretty decent. I can consistently find the bite point and control it with ease.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Which is funny because I find the clutch in my Jetta (2001) to be pretty decent. I can consistently find the bite point and control it with ease.

TBH, it sounds more like clutch malfunction/bad setup to me.

When I just bought my Corolla, it had a weird clutch: it started to bite at the very floor, just when you start to release the pedal but the full bite was at the very end of release point. Turned out that clutch basket was skewed. Clutch replacement solved the problem.

If its hydrolic clutch, maybe it isn't set correctly? Or the fluid needs replacement...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Which is funny because I find the clutch in my Jetta (2001) to be pretty decent. I can consistently find the bite point and control it with ease.

I got use to it, sure. I just found it so drastically different than anything I've ever driven. It's like a 5 mile long throw on the clutch pedal.

The throttle lag off idle doesn't help.
My feet size is 39/40 (5.5/6 in UK measurements) and in the Renault I drive (1st gen Megane estate with 1.9dTi) it's quite a good experience. It's a diesel, so I can go off using only the clutch and you gotta love that low-rpm torque. The gas pedal is actually very smooth.
I often drive a 2012 Fiesta 1.4, and the pedals are pretty unlike every other vehicle I drive. The throttle is fly-by-wire - like most modern cars, but doesn't feel linear to use. And the clutch (Even when new) sits so far high up that I sometimes hit my knee on the wheel.

You get used to it though And they're nice cars to drive really, just different..
Quote from rosewood2 :My feet size is 39/40 (5.5/6 in UK measurements) and in the Renault I drive (1st gen Megane estate with 1.9dTi) it's quite a good experience. It's a diesel, so I can go off using only the clutch and you gotta love that low-rpm torque. The gas pedal is actually very smooth.

Shoe sizes and french cars ... I once was ask to move a Twingo just to another parking spot. I almost crashed it into a hedge because with my feet (UK size 14/EUR 50) I could operate either brake or clutch, but not both at the same time (my right foot was under the clutch pedal I guess)
Talking about crap cars and pedals, try driving a YUGO if you have a chance, you'll learn to appreciate any car you have, no matter how crappy it might be.
Let me describe you the joy of driving one. (I don't own a YUGO, a friend let me drive one.) When you press the clutch you can't shift gears, then you realise that you have to push as powerful as you can to push the clutch to the end. Then you have to find a gear, so if you want to shift at lower revs chances are that the speed will drop so much you will just shift in the gear you were in before. The throttle is spiky as f!"#. You can't press it without the car bouncing like hell. Maybe it's because it's a lot lighter than other pedals so I pressed it too hard. And last but not least, the brake pedal. If you want to stop from 40 (kmh, not mph) to 0 in less than a kilometer, you have to push the pedal all the way to the end, which also means that you'll get quite a workout.
Quote from Rtsbasic :I often drive a 2012 Fiesta 1.4, and the pedals are pretty unlike every other vehicle I drive. The throttle is fly-by-wire - like most modern cars, but doesn't feel linear to use. And the clutch (Even when new) sits so far high up that I sometimes hit my knee on the wheel.

You get used to it though And they're nice cars to drive really, just different..

i own a 2012 1.4 fiesta and i cant really confirm that...from the very beginning till now (20k KM) everything was fine...
the clutch start gripping somewhere in the first quarter and is completely in once u release half...
the gas pedal is pretty much a setup thing i guess...i dont like it either, since for once at certain RPM i have more accleration with less throttle...which is, well wierd.
must ask the dealer at some point what he can change about that

Car pedals question
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG