The online racing simulator
Quote from dawesdust_12 :... that just don't work on Linux like FFB wheels.

Would you please stop repeating this nonsense? A lot of devices _do_ have full FFB support on Linux and even more of them are supported enough for the needs of LFS.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Again, supporting Linux is not just about the graphics. There's so many other components that are required that just don't work on Linux like FFB wheels.

Using OpenGL is not about supporting Linux. Using the earlier analogy It's a steering wheel that drives on more tracks than DirectX, it will drive on any track because it's not limited by a vested interest.

Quote from dawesdust_12 :
Wine does good enough, and going native Linux doesn't add anything except more complexity to the end users experience (and break other shit).

What complexity and to whom? It wouldn't make an atom of difference to windows users. How would it be any more complex than WINE, a program where you often have to look through an online database to try and find which specific version of wine works with which specific program and if you happen to have two programs which require different versions of WINE, you're screwed. It's really no substitute for a native version.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Again, supporting Linux is not just about the graphics. There's so many other components that are required that just don't work on Linux like FFB wheels.

FFB is right in the Linux kernel.

source: www.kernel.org
Umm, I did think that PC games use OpenGL as well, it's not just a Linux thing. Yes, you do need extra stuff for wheels etc, but making it OpenGL means it can be multi platform with less effort.

Yes, DirectX 9c is awesome, till good old MS decide to cripple it in some way. Sure, never update but, why not just go opensource, remove the reliance on good old MS. Yes, not going to happen here, till MS just delete 9c, tell everyone to go with 12 or whatever, stop the old version working with any currently supported OS. They'd never do that ?, lets see.......
There's a new initiative for OpenGL which is a ground up redesign of the standard. Among the groups involved is Oculus VR, so given the chances of DirectX9 support for Oculus being limited into the future and a desire to be open platform then this could be worth a look at as a long term strategy.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/ ... eration-opengl-initiative
How many languages do you speak?
I don't know why everybody is talking about going DirectX10+ or OpenGL. Scawen don't have time for this, and it can't be possible alone. And, he doesn't want to change because he don't want to loose Windows XP compatibility (&Mac + Linux) and he dosen't use full power of DX9. We want new content, not useless updates just to remove compatible devices.
Quote from nacim :I don't know why everybody is talking about going DirectX10+ or OpenGL. Scawen don't have time for this, and it can't be possible alone. And, he doesn't want to change because he don't want to loose Windows XP compatibility (&Mac + Linux) and he dosen't use full power of DX9. We want new content, not useless updates just to remove compatible devices.

OpenGL works in EVERY OS. While it is true that the change would involve a huge amount of time redesigning the game it won't imply a lose of support for WinXP or any other OS. In fact, the game could run natively on Linuis and Mac if the appropriate changes are made.
Yes, it's not for now, but it's worth me starting to learn a bit about OpenGL.

It must be considered, as DirectX is designed only for Windows. MS would like developers to use it so our customers get stuck with Windows. But LFS doesn't really want to get stuck.

But for now and quite a long time, DirectX 9 looks like the best solution for LFS. I don't know much about OpenGL but I am starting to take more of an interest.
Scawen, have you considered adding borderless window mode? Most modern games allow it as an option (to make switching between game and external application easier/faster), but as a side effect, with LFS, you could enable "sum of all monitors width x smallest monitor's height" as a preset size, to allow one to do triple/dual screen without mucking about with drivers.
Interesting... is that a window you can't manually move because it doesn't have a title bar? And I guess you can see the task bar at the bottom all the time?
theres no task bar it looks and behaves exactly like a fullscreen game except that you can alt tab out of it like its a window (no flashing black screens and all that rubbish)

you could try dota2 or any other modern free to play game as most games support that mode these days (especially competitive ones thta people stream a lot)
A borderless window is simply a window with the exact size of the screen, and centrered. And it can't be resized.
I think Windows automaticaly disable the taskbar. Try like this

EDIT : I think it's not what I expected, check this out, this program convert every windowed game in a borderless one : http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/ ... n_open_source_fullscreen/ (source code can be donwloaded)
As shot said, DOTA 2 is a good, free example of the mode I'm suggesting. When the game is active, taskbar is hidden (but inactive, taskbar will cover the game window). It is effectively a chromeless window which takes up the entire height + width of a monitor.

Just don't actually start playing DOTA, you may never ever ever ever finish S2 if you start.
I believe window over taskbar effect comes from WS_EX_TOPMOST. I guess it could be usefull especially when you have two monitors with different resolution

However I would still like to keep true full screen as an option.

Spinoff : DirectX and Windows version discussion
(291 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG