The online racing simulator
#1 - nacim
[INSIM] Play song in multiplayer
Hello !

I was wondering, why does LFS don't have a Insim option to Stream music or song from server to clients, so it can create a custom racing channel (with differents types of songs, so the song adapts to the Sounds volume settings). It could be nice on every type of server, from cruise to race and drift ones.
#2 - amp88
There would probably be serious licensing issues surrounding this type of streaming capability being part of LFS (just look at the the unfolding Twitch/muting VODs with copyrighted music furore). If you really want to stream music on the server you can do so using 3rd party applications, but obviously that relies on all your visitors choosing to listen to your music stream. Incidentally, I wouldn't enjoy the server I was on being able to control what I listen to. Some people wouldn't want to listen to any music at all and others would like to listen to their own choice of music.
#3 - nacim
But it can be an option, for example /radio on a server, not forced song, and why not an option in the Audio menu 'Allow server to play songs' [yes/no]
#4 - amp88
Quote from nacim :But it can be an option, for example /radio on a server, not forced song, and why not an option in the Audio menu 'Allow server to play songs' [yes/no]

The music licensing/copyright problem remains (and is the larger hurdle...).
Speaking from my perspective. I simply have Internet streams by Radio stations playing in the background during longer Stints. Others have their playlists playing. Aside the legal issues, I wouldn't use such a feature as I have other more individual Options.
If you look at the LFS Options Settings Survey HERE, you'll see that only 1 person out of the 130 who've filled in the survey has opted to play music ingame, so I wouldn't think it would be used much.

And say it was enabled and the server owner didn't allow you to opt out?

Anyway, why does this differ from being able to set this up yourself under LFS Audio options?
#7 - nacim
[QUOTE=sinanju;1865600]If you look at the LFS Options Settings Survey HERE, you'll see that only 1 person out of the 130 who've filled in the survey has opted to play music ingame, so I wouldn't think it would be used much.
[QUOTE]

This person, it's me
I like the music that Victor created for LFS (the music addon pack). ^^
#8 - kdo
Quote from sinanju :If you look at the LFS Options Settings Survey HERE, you'll see that only 1 person out of the 130 who've filled in the survey has opted to play music ingame, so I wouldn't think it would be used much.

And say it was enabled and the server owner didn't allow you to opt out?

Anyway, why does this differ from being able to set this up yourself under LFS Audio options?

I put a no on that survey because playing 1 music 1h is getting borring (sorry vic )

But i would like that option. And yes there could be right protection that doesnt allow us
If a multiplayer insim system was set up to play music, this is what you'd likely get from me (from my record collection)

Bleecker Street- Simon & Garfunkel
Brand New Cadillac - The Clash
Camaro - Kings of Leon
Car trouble - Adam and The Ants
Car Wash - Rose Royce
Cars - Gary Numan
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
Chevrolet - ZZ Top
Daytona - Chris Rea
Drive - The Cars
Driving home for xmas - Chris Rea
Driving in my car - Madness
Fast Cars - Craig David
From A Buick 6 - Bob Dylan
Goodbye yellow brick road - Elton John
He thought of cars - Blur
Headlights on dark roads - Snow Patrol
I'm in love with my car - Queen
In my car - Shania Twain
Little G.T.O. - Ronnie and the Daytonas
Little Red Corvette - Prince
Lovely Rita - The Beatles
Mercedes Benz - Janis Joplin
Moon Over Bourbon Street - Sting
On the road - Donna Sumer
On the road again - Katie Melua
One for the road - Arctic Monkeys
Somewhere down the road - Barry Manilow
Texas - Chris Rea
The 59th street bridge song- Simon & Garfunkel
The long and winding road - The Beatles
The Road to Hell - part I - Chris Rea
The Road to Hell - part II - Chris Rea
The sunnyside of the street - The Pogues

Admitedly, not many server owners will be as old as me (I was born in the '50's - which so happens to be a song title from The Police - might have to add that to my list!).
The Police - walking on the moon is a great title !

And 50's musics in general are pretty good (Thanks Mafia 2 for make me like the 50's)

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG