The online racing simulator
LFSpitboard
(45 posts, started )
#26 - Vain
@dungbeetle:
Do you think the best lap should be included in the standard layout or is that rather something for a later stage where the pitboard is customizable? I don't really fancy the idea of having up to 5 lines on the pitboard - the aim of LFSpitboard was to show as much information as necessary while distracting as few as possible.
I plan to work on the customization features for the next release. I want the display-mode (should the board disappear after X seconds or after X meters driven distance?) and display-location (At the s/f line? At the 1st or 2nd split-time? Or rather at node number X?) to be editable, prepare the drawing code for custom layouts and definitely implement changeable pit-strategies.
So the next release should hopefully cover your request since you will definitely be able to customize your pitboard to your taste.
@tade:
Does CSR even support patch X? LFSpitboard requires InSim v4, which came new in W9. CSR was done for InSim v3 as far as I remember, so it should be impossible to run them together anyway, since CSR doesn't work under patch X, which is required for LFSpitboard.
However your question raises the question wether LFSpitboard should require LFS's UDP function. LFS supports up to 8 TCP connections but only one UDP connection. So I should allow an option to disable the fuel-tracking to clear LFS's UDP-functionality for another program.

Vain
#27 - tade
CSR works perfectly fine under patch X, I can tell you that. I can hear it

Thanks for the quick reply, I hope you'll eventually fix it all!
Great job !!! It's really fantastic !!!

Now... a suggestion:

To make better to run with option "Shift + F" it will be perfect if you could include a little table with Split time.

Thanks !!!
Great little app, looking forward to this developing into a very valuable race day tool, well done Vain.

I have an improvement suggestion, is there any way to make the position of the lap board on screen configurable so it can be shifted around, particularly for when the pits are on the right side of the race track?

EDIT:
BTW tade, I have got CSR and PitBoard to work together.
Start LFS and CSR first, then start pitboard with a different OutGauge port than CSR.

My LFS cfg.txt settings are:
OutGauge Mode 1
OutGauge Delay 100 (CSR still seems to work with this value)
OutGauge IP 127.0.0.1
OutGauge Port xxxxx (set it to your CSR Port)
OutGauge ID 0

PitBoard cfg.xml settings are:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<InSim port="29999">
<OutGauge port = "50000"> (or any value different to your CSR port)
<Password value = "">
<BoardTimeOut value = "15">
<LFSExec location="../" start="0" InvokeInSim="1">
</config>

Hopefully that will work for you.
Quote from Vain :Do you think the best lap should be included in the standard layout or is that rather something for a later stage where the pitboard is customizable? I don't really fancy the idea of having up to 5 lines on the pitboard - the aim of LFSpitboard was to show as much information as necessary while distracting as few as possible.

Speaking only for myself, I agree with you, Vain. I like the pit board to be simple and easy to read. In this case, less truly is more. My biggest request would be to make it look more lifelike, if possible. But I'm not sure that's feasible given InSims limitations.

I think the GTR2 pit board could serve as a good benchmark:
http://www.digitaldisplacement ... 6-06-12%2019-37-39-92.jpg

I do like the idea you mentioned earlier, of being prompted for fuel and tire changes. That was my favorite feature of Becky's LFS Companion. It would be great if her program were updated for Patch X, and you could run it alongside your pit board app. The two programs combined could really go a long way toward giving the feeling of having a pit crew on your side, and would reduce the need for most of the HUD.
Quote from Vain :
Do you think the best lap should be included in the standard layout or is that rather something for a later stage where the pitboard is customizable?

Oh, when it's customisable, for sure! I do appreciate that it's certainly not someting you'd normally see on a pit board and I can understand that not everyone would want it .

Quote from Vain :
I plan to work on the customization features for the next release.

Thanks Vain. A best lap option in the next release would be bloomin' marvellous!

And thanks for taking people's requests into consideration.

Cheers.
does this tool work on AU1 races as well?
wonderful tool! I hope it can have a more sophisticated look but till now it looks nice.
#34 - tade
Quote from flinty72 :
BTW tade, I have got CSR and PitBoard to work together.
Start LFS and CSR first, then start pitboard with a different OutGauge port than CSR.

My LFS cfg.txt settings are:
OutGauge Mode 1
OutGauge Delay 100 (CSR still seems to work with this value)
OutGauge IP 127.0.0.1
OutGauge Port xxxxx (set it to your CSR Port)
OutGauge ID 0

PitBoard cfg.xml settings are:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
<InSim port="29999">
<OutGauge port = "50000"> (or any value different to your CSR port)
<Password value = "">
<BoardTimeOut value = "15">
<LFSExec location="../" start="0" InvokeInSim="1">
</config>

Hopefully that will work for you.

OK thanks for the advice, unfortunately I couldnt make it work.

Now the problem is that I start CSR then I start LFS and 5" after that I start Pitboard. When the race starts and Pitboard starts working, it changes the outgauge port of cfg.txt to 50000. So CSR cant work anymore. I'll see if I find some other way to make it work.
is there a way you can make it, to show the actual lap-number not the lap before with the position?
Quote from tade : it changes the outgauge port of cfg.txt to 50000.

Could you make the cfg.txt read only? I had a similar problem with Gear Indicator but I didn't spend much time trying to get them to work together.
Quote from BigFatCat :Could you make the cfg.txt read only? I had a similar problem with Gear Indicator but I didn't spend much time trying to get them to work together.

Right click, Properties, Read Only.
#38 - tade
Yeah, I tried that too yesterday, it didn't change the cfg.txt file but to no avail, CSR was still not working. It seems that when the race starts Pitboard changes the Outgauge port anyway.
#39 - Vain
Quote from tade :Yeah, I tried that too yesterday, it didn't change the cfg.txt file but to no avail, CSR was still not working. It seems that when the race starts Pitboard changes the Outgauge port anyway.

Actually it should, but it doesn't. LFSpitboard initialized OutGauge exactly once, which is directly after connecting to LFS (within a tenth of a second).
That can cause it to lose OutGauge under certain circumstances (you can see that when it doesn't remove pitboards after 15 seconds anymore).
Usually you'd be able to disable LFSpitboard's OutGauge functionality by setting the OutGauge port to zero. However, I made an exception in the program and considered zero to be an illegal port, which causes LFSpitboard to set the default port. I'll fix that in the next release.

Vain
Pitboard too old
Hi just run Pitboard version 3
but it reports pitboard too old
Is this the case ?
Cheers
Mike
Suggestion> adjustable basic text color. Gray isn't well visible, I'd like to have yellow. [picture]

Anyway, thx for this addon.
#42 - axus
<BoardTimeOut value = "10"> doesn't seem to do anything? Should it be adjusting how long I see the board for? It only disappears when I cross the next sector here.
#43 - Vain
Since I've been asked to do so here's the C++ sourcecode to the LFSpitboard version R3.
Notice that it wasn't reworked for improved readability and contains some bad sections. Also, it's completely procedural and written in one file because of the way development went. There are some work in progress comments and a lot of debug statements from bugs that are long since gone.
It is however a nice example of using SDL_net to make a quick and easy to use InSim connection.
To compile it you'll also need some header-files for the Irrlicht XML engine. Or just go straight for the full Irrlicht package because it's really useful anyway.

Vain
Attached files
main.cpp.txt - 31.7 KB - 305 views
#44 - Vain
Holy zombie posting batman! :eye-poppi

There's an update to R4 in the original post. But don't get too excited, I merely recompiled the pitboard for InSim v5, which appears to have been in use since sometime in 2011? I'll just stop complaining about Scawen's development pace right now.

Anyways, special thanks to yanki for reminding me to update this little program. I also wish everyone lots of fun to whoever attempts to try it out. Give me feedback if you have any complaints. This was a real quick attempt to revive 7 year old sourcecode. There will likely be problems. Many of them.

Vain
Have tested the latest version yesterday during the fox friday race and didn't find any issues.
All data it showed me was correct and it warned me to do my pitstop.

Thanks allot for updating this insim Vain, its really usefull.

LFSpitboard
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG