The online racing simulator
Ingame engine sound sharing
I know this has been suggested a few times before, but I feel like it needs to be brought up again. Sharing sounds or assigning a different sound per driver ingame is something that should be implemented. If anyone's watched a race in person, they will notice that each car sounds slightly different, even in F1. This video shows the difference between various cars, not much different than racing in LFS. The difference between both the yellow and white BMW's in this race is significant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9h4jJQyoAI

This will also fix the annoying droning of all cars revving with the same sound (notably at the countdown at the start of the race).

The sharing of sound files is nothing more than sharing a skin on LFSW, even less than 500 kb. If the sharing of the inserted sound samples is too intensive, simply sharing the parameters of the sounds could also work.
I both support this idea and go against it.

I don't want to listen to someones awful sounding, clipping XRG. Nor do I want to hear the XRG sounding like an FZR, (not entirely sure, but I think that could be achieved through the in game sound editing?).

But I do support the idea of at least having multiple sound files for each type of car that get chosen at random _except for_ the players car which always gets the same. I don't want to get into my XRG and have it sound different from run to run. But I would like to hear slight differences so I know who might be near me while racing. Maybe the selection algorithm should take into consideration username if online to keep that consistent between runs.

Just my thoughts.
Quote from blackbird04217 :
I don't want to listen to someones awful sounding, clipping XRG. Nor do I want to hear the XRG sounding like an FZR, (not entirely sure, but I think that could be achieved through the in game sound editing?).

Well not really since XRG has 4 cyl engine and FZR 6 cyl, they wont sound similar because LFS "synthesizes" the engine sounds.

That little randomization between other cars is a good idea though!
More realistic option would be synthetising engine sound by the car setup
And what in the setup, beyond the restrictor, is going to modify the engine? I would not want to change tire pressures or wing levels and have the car change sounds.

BigPeBe - You are correct with that, although with the available options you could make the XRG loud and still sound pretty similar, not identical of course. But my point stands that I don't want just sounds created by anyone- but I do support the idea of more audio differences which it sounds like LFS could be setup for.
That's a good point, I have considered that as well. But it could be fairly realistic. it is possible to make a 4 cyl Honda as loud and obnoxious as a Porsche racer.

I'm also thinking Bigbob means changing out certain parts that can be added or removed in the garage will make a different noise, but In the setup of the car itself, possibly not.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG