The online racing simulator
Quote from sicotange :
I could try a more recent version of Linux. To be honest I'm looking for the Linux version of XP. A no-bullshit OS stripped of glitter.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty a little bit you can give some minimal installation of Debian Testing a shot. You'll get updates on a rolling basis but with (hopefully) sufficient soaking period to work out most of the problems. I've also had a pretty pleasant experience with LXDE spin of Fedora 19, although I used it only in VirtualBox for some kernel hacking
Quote from Keling :Wine 1.7.19 64bit on Arch/Linux.
$ optirun wine LFS.exe
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winealsa.drv": libasound.so.2: cannot open shared
libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Sound works fine for me on 64 bit Arch. I believe you need to install the lib32 versions of libmpg123 and libasound.

Edit: I believe that's multilib/lib32-mpg123 and multilib/lib32-alsa-plugins
Quote from rowdog :Sound works fine for me on 64 bit Arch. I believe you need to install the lib32 versions of libmpg123 and libasound.

Edit: I believe that's multilib/lib32-mpg123 and multilib/lib32-alsa-plugins

Thanks. Problem solved.

How could I forget it's 32bit.
A heads-up for Linux gamers using Logitech wheels. Due to this change (https://git.kernel.org/cgit/li ... 5e5c99d0d657d22a7dbc69334) it will no longer be possible to easily change the range of the wheel without proper permissions through sysfs. We intend to write a udev rule to resolve this situation properly and securely.
Quote from MadCatX :A heads-up for Linux gamers using Logitech wheels. Due to this change (https://git.kernel.org/cgit/li ... 5e5c99d0d657d22a7dbc69334) it will no longer be possible to easily change the range of the wheel without proper permissions through sysfs. We intend to write a udev rule to resolve this situation properly and securely.

I'd be thankful if you keep us updated here
Heh, never knew I could change it. Good job I've always been happy with 900°...
As long as proper sysfs structure is created you can change the range in

/sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid:logitech/<dev>/range

like this

echo 450 > range

From kernel 3.16 the attribute won't be world-writable anymore so you'll need proper access right. I'll hopefully write a udev rule to automate this before 3.16 comes out.
Quote from MadCatX :From kernel 3.16 the attribute won't be world-writable anymore so you'll need proper access right. I'll hopefully write a udev rule to automate this before 3.16 comes out.

Interesting news. While a udev rule would be nice, the issue seems easy to solve from the command line.
sudo echo 450 > range

Of course, that does assume you have root access to the machine you attached the wheel to.
Quote from rowdog :
sudo echo 450 > range

> this will not work. Use sudo sh -c "echo 450 > range"
It seems to run fine in wine (1.6.2) for me, after installing the dll.

Framerate seems to be same/slightly better with dx9 (50-90FPS on an empty track), even with AA'd mirrors.

AMD A10-7700K APU using onboard graphics, I did find that the official AMD driver works better than the open source one on this machine so far (several games, not just LFS).
Quote from vitaly_m :> this will not work. Use sudo sh -c "echo 450 > range"

You're right, I don't use sudo so I shouldn't have suggested specific code, just the idea to "do it as root."
Quote from Degats :
AMD A10-7700K APU using onboard graphics, I did find that the official AMD driver works better than the open source one on this machine so far (several games, not just LFS).

Catalyst is still way ahead of open driver. In the past, I've had to use Catalyst to run LFS and pretty much any game. I was shocked to see that LFS actually worked with the open driver when I came back after a year and a half. I'd guess that it works for me because Arch Linux uses a very recent version of the driver and my ATI 6950 is way over spec for LFS.
Quote from rowdog :Catalyst is still way ahead of open driver. In the past, I've had to use Catalyst to run LFS and pretty much any game. I was shocked to see that LFS actually worked with the open driver when I came back after a year and a half. I'd guess that it works for me because Arch Linux uses a very recent version of the driver and my ATI 6950 is way over spec for LFS.

YMMV depending on the specific card model but I myself had a very pleasant experience with R6400M (and r600 based chip) and FOSS drivers. Even Unigine: Valley ran correcly. Hint: dynamic power management is still disabled by default on some cards so you might want to switch it on manually by specifying "radeon.dpm=1" in the kernel bootline. Besides saving a lot of power on idle it provides better performance as well.
Quote from MadCatX :"radeon.dpm=1" in the kernel bootline. Besides saving a lot of power on idle it provides better performance as well.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go when I reboot.
Okay, so I have the same problem as 2nd post (missing textures - need to download a dll of some sort.) What do I do? I'm not very tech savvy at all. I'd love an explanation that would be easy for me to understand. Thanks guys.
Quote from hibooost :Okay, so I have the same problem as 2nd post (missing textures - need to download a dll of some sort.) What do I do? I'm not very tech savvy at all. I'd love an explanation that would be easy for me to understand. Thanks guys.

Install winetricks from the repository. If it is not included in your repository, just download it:

$ wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
$ chmod +x winetricks

then run it (remove "./" if you installed it from the repository):

./winetricks

Then select "default prefix", then "Install app or DLL", then select "D3DX9_43.dll" from the list...

After installing that D3DX9_43 DLL u should have those textures back
Quote from vitaly_m :Install winetricks from the repository. If it is not included in your repository, just download it:

$ wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
$ chmod +x winetricks

then run it (remove "./" if you installed it from the repository):

./winetricks

Then select "default prefix", then "Install app or DLL", then select "D3DX9_43.dll" from the list...

After installing that D3DX9_43 DLL u should have those textures back

Got it. Thank you so much!
You can also install the complete native D3D9 DLL package with 'winetricks d3dx9'.

Quote from hibooost :When I run that code, it says "wget: command not found."

Then install wget from your distro's repo.

Actually any major distro should already have winetricks packaged. There's no need to use wget. But it doesn't hurt to install it.
I have tested 0.6F version on Linux (Linux Mint 17 64 bit) and I can compare it to native Windows version.

On Linux it does not open .jpg files (there's more unlisted here):
SUITO.jpg
HE_Marshall.jpg
AX_ADS1.jpg

But the game visually looks nice but not how it should look (it's not smooth) and is not missing textures.
With highest settings and antialiasing 8x, VSync on I get around 39-50 FPS.
Without antilasing I get around 56-61 FPS. Then turning off VSync does not change anything. Frame limiter is set on 100.

On Windows 7 64 bit with everything on highest and antialiasing 4x, frame limiter off I get around +300 FPS.

I was testing on BL1 track. I was using Wine 1.7.20 and open-source AMD/ATI graphic drivers (version 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1). Kernel version: 3.13.0-24, X.Org: 1.15.1.

I have attached screenshot from in-game with everything on. PNG for better quality: http://oi61.tinypic.com/fcup2t.jpg
Attached images
lfs_00000005.jpg
I'm also considering installing Linux (Lubuntu), but my computer does 30 FPS with everything on. I guess I couldn't expect the same with Wine, as it's more like an imperfect Windows emulator rather than a true compatibility layer.

Vitaly_m's description should be stickied somewhere though, to make users find the solution for their texture problems easier.
I have tested 0.6F on my dual boot PC and everything works fine on Linux, though the performance is quite disappointing if many cars are around. For example FPS is around 60 on an empty track, but dips below 20 on a full grid. Im using a copy of my win7 LFS install on Linux, so the settings/textures are the same.

Specs: Win7 x64 + Catalyst 13.12 / Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x64 + Wine 1.7.20 with D3DX9_43.dll + Catalyst 14.6 Beta (i5 2500, 7870 tahiti le)

I've attached 2 screenshots for comparison
Attached images
Ubuntu14.04LTS.jpg
win7x64.jpg
Quote from Dark[HUN] :I have tested 0.6F on my dual boot PC and everything works fine on Linux, though the performance is quite disappointing if many cars are around. For example FPS is around 60 on an empty track, but dips below 20 on a full grid. Im using a copy of my win7 LFS install on Linux, so the settings/textures are the same.

Specs: Win7 x64 + Catalyst 13.12 / Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x64 + Wine 1.7.20 with D3DX9_43.dll + Catalyst 14.6 Beta (i5 2500, 7870 tahiti le)

I've attached 2 screenshots for comparison

I don't think the 2 screenshots were on identical settings.

Performance difference was still too dramatic though.
Quote from Keling :I don't think the 2 screenshots were on identical settings.

Quote from Dark[HUN] :...Im using a copy of my win7 LFS install on Linux, so the settings/textures are the same...

They are identical. Checked Catalyst too, all settings are the same. Btw for some reason the win7 screenshot looks a bit washed out in the browser (firefox/chrome)
Dear Wine users,

Please could you have a go on the new 0.6F2 test patch?

It uses more advanced shaders, HLSL versions ps_2_0 and vs_2_0 which help to provide much higher frame rates for most people because the cars are rendered in a single pass instead of three.

So I'd just like to know if it's still working for most people, or how to fix it if not.
https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86101

Thank you!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG