The online racing simulator
Wine users... please have a go on the DX9 test patch
Anyone who uses Wine to run LFS...

If you haven't already tried the test patch, please have a go. We are getting very close to release and LFS now uses DirectX 9 instead of DirectX 8.1 (that was always used in the past).

We need to know about any problems as soon as possible, or the full version will be released with those problems.

Please report your findings on the test patch thread, and don't forget to report which version of Wine you are using:

[ EDIT : Link to test patch removed - Please use official version 0.6F ]

EDIT 2 : There is a new test patch that uses more advanced shaders and it would be good to know how it works with Wine: https://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=86101

Thank you!
Looks like there is no textures loaded

UPD: Wine version is 1.7.19
Attached images
lfs_00000001.jpg
Someone refered to installing some d3dx9_* DLL from microsoft and it helped!

I installed some of them (can't say which exactly did help) using winetricks script and it fixed the thing.

Wine 1.7.19
Sorry for offtopic or maybe it isn't offtopic

WINE + LFS = Don't drink and drive ???
Quote from DANIEL-CRO :Sorry for offtopic or maybe it isn't offtopic

WINE + LFS = Don't drink and drive ???

LOL proves that he's dated... No one drinks and drives anymore. It's too hard to do that and use the phone - Oxycotin....
Anyways... what does this actually do?.... I never really got the whole dx 8 -9 ...54? shader things. Does the higher the number mean that more you have to spend on a video card?
woooooooo I just came in to say that I am honestly really happy an update for LFS is coming out soon. Really, really happy.
Quote from Cabriolet21 :woooooooo I just came in to say that I am honestly really happy an update for LFS is coming out soon. Really, really happy.

soon TM
Formatted hard drive, installed the latest Linux Light distribution (Linux Lite 2.0 Codename 'Beryl' 64bit - 2nd June, 2014). Kernel version: 3.8.0-34-generic.

Wine 1.4
======

0.6E
===
Got Wine then installed LFS 0.6E. LFS worked fine with with 30-40 FPS with everything on max settings (somehow only 2 resolution options were available) except for antialiasing which was disabled. When I enabled antialiasing (no matter which option) FPS dropped dramatically to an unplayable 5-10 FPS.

0.6E17
====
Textures could not be loaded when I start LFS (see screenshot attached). I will now try with some changes to Wine.

FYI, this is on an ultrabook with an i3 Sandy Bridge CPU.

EDIT: Installed D3DX9_43.dll with Winetricks and everything works fine now. LFS seemed snappier on the whole (instant access to main page) and I have a slightly higher FPS. On the other hand antialiasing is still not usable as it still reduces FPS to an unplayable 5-10 FPS. That's the main difference I noticed performance wise compared to Windows 7.
Attached images
with D3DX9_43.dll.png
without D3DX9_43.dll.png
Quote from sicotange :
0.6E17
====
Textures could not be loaded when I start LFS (see screenshot attached). I will now try with some changes to Wine.

FYI, this is on an ultrabook with an i3 Sandy Bridge CPU.

Try this, as stated by the user who had the same issue:

Quote from vitaly_m :Someone refered to installing some d3dx9_* DLL from microsoft and it helped!

I installed some of them (can't say which exactly did help) using winetricks script and it fixed the thing.

Wine 1.7.19

Quote from sicotange :EDIT: Installed D3DX9_43.dll with Winetricks and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the detailed test. Seems everyone has the same story with that D3DX9_43.dll

OT : By the way sicotange, did you see Flotch spotted a few spellings / typos in the French translation?
I could copy over the fixes but I guess it's best if I leave it to you!
https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1858286#post1858286
D3DX9_43.dll definitely did wonders. I wonder though if the antialiasing issue is due to Wine.

In single player on AU1X I get 60 FPS but as soon as I turn on antialiasing the FPS drops to an unplayable 5-10 FPS. Does anyone experiences this with a more powerful PC than mine (Asus UX32A)?

Quote :OT : By the way sicotange, did you see Flotch spotted a few spellings / typos in the French translation?
I could copy over the fixes but I guess it's best if I leave it to you!

I'm looking into it as we speak
Quote from sicotange :D3DX9_43.dll definitely did wonders. I wonder though if the antialiasing issue is due to Wine.

In single player on AU1X I get 60 FPS but as soon as I turn on antialiasing the FPS drops to an unplayable 5-10 FPS. Does anyone experiences this with a more powerful PC than mine (Asus UX32A)?

I'm looking into it as we speak

I have AMD Trinity 5600 CPU (3.8 GHz) and AMD R9 270 videocard. On windows I have good performance, but on linux with open source driver game is unplayable (around 50 FPS without anti-aliasing and around 20-30 with it). I didn't try AMD drivers, but I guess they would change the image.

But as far as I know AMD drivers wouldn't work on any modern linux for your PC, as they dropped support for older GPU's on modern linux kernels
Quote from sicotange :D3DX9_43.dll definitely did wonders. I wonder though if the antialiasing issue is due to Wine.

Quote from vitaly_m :I have AMD Trinity 5600 CPU (3.8 GHz) and AMD R9 270 videocard. On windows I have good performance, but on linux with open source driver game is unplayable (around 50 FPS without anti-aliasing and around 20-30 with it). I didn't try AMD drivers, but I guess they would change the image.

Does the new "Mirror antialiasing" option make a big difference?

I have switched on Full-scene antialiasing and Mirror antialiasing by default in the new version, but now I am wondering if the default should be off (as the Full-scene antialiasing always was before). It's nice when LFS looks good without changing any settings but I don't want new people to experience a low frame rate.
Quote from vitaly_m :I have AMD Trinity 5600 CPU (3.8 GHz) and AMD R9 270 videocard. On windows I have good performance, but on linux with open source driver game is unplayable (around 50 FPS without anti-aliasing and around 20-30 with it). I didn't try AMD drivers, but I guess they would change the image.

But as far as I know AMD drivers wouldn't work on any modern linux for your PC, as they dropped support for older GPU's on modern linux kernels

Your GPU is not old though. It should work.
Mirror antialiasing doesn't seem to impact performances at all. I don't see a substantial difference.

Full-scene antialiasing makes it unplayable (5-10 FPS) but it seems to be because of Wine? Feedback from Windows users should be more representative?
Wine 1.7.19 64bit on Arch/Linux. I'm having no sound for some reason. SHIFT+N always result in OFF.

$ optirun wine LFS.exe
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L"AdobeARMservice"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0004,0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x71e72c,(nil)): stub
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f754,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x18.
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winealsa.drv": libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:mmdevapi:DllGetClassObject Driver initialization failed
err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80004005
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
err:dsound:get_mmdevenum CoCreateInstance failed: 80004005
fixme:d3dcompiler:D3DAssemble flags 1
failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winealsa.drv": libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winealsa.drv": libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winealsa.drv": libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Graphics looks fine with D3D9 winetrick. Performance is only slightly lower than under Windows.
Quote :Wine 1.7.19 64bit on Arch/Linux. I'm having no sound for some reason. SHIFT+N always result in OFF.

I had the same issue. I still don't have sound at the moment but when I restarted LFS SHIFT + N switched to ON/OFF again. Looking for the culprit...

EDIT: This is becoming interesting. It seems to be Adobe Flash or Wine... If I launch a clip on youtube and start LFS, LFS has no sound. If I start LFS and then launch a clip on youtube it's the exact opposite, LFS has sound but the clip doesn't. Adobe Flash always seemed unstable to me (apparently Adobe is no longer planning to support Flash on Linux, 11.2 being the last version to be supported). Keling, can you also reproduce this?

Quote :Graphics looks fine with D3D9 winetrick. Performance is only slightly lower than under Windows.

Turning Full-scene antialiasing does not impact your FPS dramatically?
Quote from sicotange :Adobe Flash always seemed unstable to me (apparently Adobe is no longer planning to support Flash on Linux, 11.2 being the last version to be supported). Keling, can you also reproduce this?

Why would anyone still use Flash when there is HTML5?

I suggest you to enable the HTML5 player (if any video is not available in HTML5 it fallsback to Flash) and check if then the sound card/device behaves properly.
https://www.youtube.com/html5
As outdated as the Flash player might be, it's still used on YouTube when ads are displayed. Besides, it might not be the one to blame. The bug could be on ALSA side or something else involved.
It's even worse with HTML5. Somehow Firefox manages to hang when a clip plays on youtube in HTML5 modus. That is when LFS is running. I suspect Wine is creating some sort of conflict.
Quote from sicotange :Turning Full-scene antialiasing does not impact your FPS dramatically?

No. It's about the same as what happens under Windows.

I'm using a Clevo W230ST with GTX 765M running NV 337.25 driver. The Intel iGPU also runs very well.
Quote from sicotange :It's even worse with HTML5. Somehow Firefox manages to hang when a clip plays on youtube in HTML5 modus. That is when LFS is running. I suspect Wine is creating some sort of conflict.

You seem to be running a rather old kernel. The i915 driver in the kernel has received numerous improvements since 3.8.0 and so has Mesa (the OpenGL library). Unless you have specific reasons for using this version you might want to give another distro with newer software versions a go - or update if your distro provides updated packages. Ubuntu 14.04 uses kernel 3.13, recent updates of Fedora 20 gets you 3.14. Both of these distros are on mesa 10.1 with the possibility of mesa 10.2 arriving for F20.
Quote :No. It's about the same as what happens under Windows.

Good to know, I guess my hardware doesn't like Linux or vice versa. I should try a more recent of Wine.

I could try a more recent version of Linux. To be honest I'm looking for the Linux version of XP. A no-bullshit OS stripped of glitter. I had the best Linux experiences with LinuxMint, Debian, Slax and Ubuntu 8.x. I also tried Ubuntu 10.x and 12.x but was disappointed. Somehow it felt messy. I'm not sure the latest is the greatest but I didn't know about this i915 driver update. Fedora is tempting.
Quote from sicotange :To be honest I'm looking for the Linux version of XP. A no-bullshit OS stripped of glitter.

Get a minimalist distro and install needed packages.

Wine users... please have a go on the DX9 test patch
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG