The online racing simulator
Cleanup : Off topic posts from 0.6E15 thread
OFF-TOPIC

Quote :This will soon be the official version so we need to fix it.

Is there any possiblity to squeeze some InSim improvements into upcoming patch? To point out an old discussion:

Quote :Originally Posted by sicotange
I can't help myself to ask the following (since you seem to have been working on Autocross Objects recently): are there any plans to add pitch (& roll) to the IS_AXM packet? Changing the angle of the slope of the "Ramp2" object for example would be awesome but I guess this would mean you would have to reduce the minimum step of objects (25cm) too.

Originally Posted by Scawen
As there is no space for pitch and roll in the existing 8 bytes per object, that would be too much of a change at this time. I thought I might investigate one thing though - maybe I could add a single bit to the Flags that would avoid the ground level check, so an object would stay exactly where you put it (and with zero pitch and roll). I realise that the granularity of ZChar is a limitation but at lest this would allow objects to be placed in the air over physical surfaces. One more thing I was thinking might help is a simple new object, a plain rectangular flat slab of concrete. It would look like the ramp but be level. Maybe it should have the same height as the ramp and legs. Or maybe two different objects, a plain flat slab and a separate slab with legs.

It would be appreciated if you could briefly comment on this because I started coding an InSim app based on this hypothetical new feature
Quote from sicotange :OFF-TOPIC

Is there any possiblity to squeeze some InSim improvements into upcoming patch? To point out an old discussion:

It would be appreciated if you could briefly comment on this because I started coding an InSim app based on this hypothetical new feature

Hi sicotange.

I would still like to do this, and hopefully in the near future. But not in this actual 3D patch because this one will be compatible. I think as we make the transition to DX9 it is a good idea to leave this patch compatible with the old one one, and that change you requested would be incompatible.

In fact we are working on an incompatible patch for the near future. That is before all the S3 things are done (as they will still take quite some time). So with the intermediate incompatible patch it should be possible to add that floating object bit.
Thanks for the swift reply. I shall now work on the French translation of the 3D support
Quote from Scawen : incompatible patch for the near future.

Near future... I don't want to create any endless quotes, but to be prepared for something like this a timeframe could be nice. So let's try to ask it the other way around.. Near future, is that definitely áfter summer or can't say?
Quote from cargame.nl :Near future, is that definitely áfter summer or can't say?

Early 2009? Just guessing
Hahaha how funny, first time I heard that joke, so original. Unintelligent postings from people who have nothing to do with the current online community are really not needed. I am asking this especially for me and other server owners / coders to be a bit more prepared for changes with a potential high impact.
Quote from cargame.nl :Near future... I don't want to create any endless quotes, but to be prepared for something like this a timeframe could be nice. So let's try to ask it the other way around.. Near future, is that definitely áfter summer or can't say?

Well tried, but I guess the answer will be more something like "won't say"
I could say when I think the intermediate update will come out but I would be wrong, so I'll shut up.

I would like to say what would be in it but we have got in trouble before so I have learned to just keep my mouth shut.

Remember, in five minutes of madness we once stated that the VW would be out in a couple of weeks. But having failed to meet that date we are then attacked for years. So... several years of punishment for five minutes of madness. Not worth it...
Highlander
Quote from cargame.nl :Near future... I don't want to create any endless quotes, but to be prepared for something like this a timeframe could be nice. So let's try to ask it the other way around.. Near future, is that definitely áfter summer or can't say?

Just get back to the origins of 3D patch and count...
I think first test version after 3D is released (not yet) will be about 1-6 months, then testing/polishing/fixing will take another 2-8 months, so basically I would expect next release somewhere in 3D+3-14m time, maybe more. Xmess so far possible, but I wouldn't bet my money on it, depends on the scope of the changes, maybe it will be more like preparation for S3 stuff coming later, so only small changes done fast, but breaking compatibility.

I think there is no point to ask about release date before the next test version exist and it goes like 3-4 rounds of fixing and polishing.

CEO summary for those who don't have time: "when it's done".
There are people who would prefer to hear at least some news, teasers, screenshots, or anything, rather than no news at all. That includes me. Of course I was disappointed when I read that VWS had been postponed. But for instance, I'm still looking forward to Rockingham. Maybe because it'll be a new track in LFS after a lot of years. Something is better than nothing for me. Now I don't see any evidence of what you're working on, so I have to believe what you say.

But then there are people who say you promised to release something even if you just showed a couple of pics, said you were working on it and then changed plans. If I'm right, you don't do it anymore because of this group.

On one hand, it's a shame, because if you carried on posting progress reports, some people would be satisfied, and you could just ignore the rest. But now people don't get excited anymore and leave because of the silence and "nothing" happening, even though in reality, you are working on something.

Just my :twocents: and sorry for off-topic. I just had to say it, although it won't change a thing
I wasn't asking for a release date, I was wondering when it definitely -not- will happen. If lets say, definitely not in the upcoming three months then it's less of a surprise to make necassary InSim changes then when it comes by surprise in lets say next month.

I can remember the sudden issues which appeared when 0.6B beta patches showed up concerning broken InSim applications.

But ah well, I also understand that a part of this community can never be informed about anything. Sadly it's mostly the same part which never participates actively to anything related to LFS.
Yeah, I am sorry about it. But for example this update I am talking about was planned to be before Christmas. But it has simply taken longer than expected. So how would people feel now, in June, if we had said "we will be releasing X before Christmas"...

It's supposed to be soon but look I am already getting in trouble here for just trying to give a vague reply, that this minor addition to InSim could be 'soon'.
Yep, OK, fair enough.
Don't worry Scawen, some people still have hope in LFS and the development team of LFS, including me, and I'm looking forward to this update and I really hope that you, the development team of LFS, will eventually come up with something new after this update as well. LFS is still an awesome game and even though there hasn't been anything new in the recent years, it's still a complete masterpiece.

Surely, the lack of development has affected the way people look at this game, also the league scene is not as competitive as it used to be, but in the end I think that if you personally still have faith in this whole project, it will eventually show how strong the community is..I sort of lost my point there, but I hope you understood it - such events in the end make everything stronger and such..

I apologize for continuing the off-topic, but I simply couldn't resist. The only thing that I truly want is that the legacy of LFS would continue, despite the fact that other sims are stepping the game up.
Quote from Scawen :Yeah, I am sorry about it. But for example this update I am talking about was planned to be before Christmas. But it has simply taken longer than expected. So how would people feel now, in June, if we had said "we will be releasing X before Christmas"...

It's supposed to be soon but look I am already getting in trouble here for just trying to give a vague reply, that this minor addition to InSim could be 'soon'.

I totally understand your feeling, but on the other hand I do think you focus too much on the very vocal and negative part of the LFS community.
Sadly the internet in general has become a large garbage bin over the years and every forum, notice board etc. is littered with moans, aggression, accusations, treats etc. and those people ruin what used to be nice places to read/write.
I agree with you that you shouldn't give dates or maybe even comments like "soon" or "this Christmas" etc, but I also believe that some news from time to time would be a good thing.
Put it in a closed thread or maybe even in a blog where comments are not allowed.
A lot of people like to know what is going on and the single fact that things are going on.
This doesn't have to be a lengthy explanation of what you are exactly doing and it isn't needed to do it on a weekly basis as well.
Just put something on every now and then, like what you are working on, some ideas you have about the (near) future of the game.
Sort of thinking out loud and sharing that with the community.
If people can't handle that, it isn't your fault but theirs and the not (so) vocal part of the community would be grateful for it I'm sure.
Quote from Scawen :Yeah, I am sorry about it. But for example this update I am talking about was planned to be before Christmas. But it has simply taken longer than expected. So how would people feel now, in June, if we had said "we will be releasing X before Christmas"...

So dont say dates. Just say: "In S3 there will be these things..."
I decree that this is just a sociological phenomenon. Current generation is losing the ability to be patient. It's logical to be unwilling to give pertinent information when you know in advance that a delegation of trolls will be destructive no matter what you say. People don't realize that when you are writing codes (especially a sim) it's close to impossible to give an accurate release date. Only vague estimations should be given in my opinion and that's exactly what Scawen is doing.

On the other hand I can't help but feel that something could be improved communication wise. I mean if Scawen would give an interview about thermodynamics I would watch. Or if the LFS devs would go on a road trip with the VWS Maybe a little promotional clip about the latest Oculus Rift support in LFS?

Yet in the end those are just futilities and Scawen shouldn't feel morally obliged to give more inside information. As far as I'm concerned I judge the end result and so far every new version of LFS has progressed in my eyes. It's a shame Eric is being so mysterious though.
Sorry for off topic, but come on, we don't need dates. I think the community got used to waiting. We need teasers, sneak-peeks and stuff that will keep us on the edge, or at least to look forward to something. I haven't been looking forward to anything regarding LFS for the past 5 years.
Which leads to even more questions, spamming.. Nah.. Not really handy..

How I read this communication; I expect an incompatible release < 3 months but cannot say that because of setbacks of unknown reason which in the end generate again a longer development period. It's enough info.
Quote from Scawen :In fact we are working on an incompatible patch for the near future. That is before all the S3 things are done (as they will still take quite some time). So with the intermediate incompatible patch it should be possible to add that floating object bit.

Does tyre physics count as a "S3 thing"? I mean, is this test patch going to be incompatible because of the tyre physics? Would be nice if you could clear that up so we don't get excited for nothing.

Quote from Scawen :I would like to say what would be in it but we have got in trouble before so I have learned to just keep my mouth shut.

It's ok if you announce/reveal stuff as long as you don't give any dates - for example, some time ago you revealed that Eric is working on another track for S3. Did you get any trouble because of that? I don't think you did.
Quote from Amynue :It's ok if you announce/reveal stuff as long as you don't give any dates - for example, some time ago you revealed that Eric is working on another track for S3. Did you get any trouble because of that? I don't think you did.

This is actually a good point.
I'm not talking about it any more.

I made a mistake just answering sicotange's question and now people are trying to make me talk. It's annoying because I'm actually here working, now distracted by this thread.

We plan to release an incompatible test patch at some time "soon" and that is all there is to it. But first we'll get this compatible patch out of the way.

It's not just up to me what I say, this is a partnership. And our rules are clear now. We don't talk about what future releases may or may not contain until we are ready to release them.
Okay :lovies3d:
Quote from Amynue :Does tyre physics count as a "S3 thing"? I mean, is this test patch going to be incompatible because of the tyre physics? Would be nice if you could clear that up so we don't get excited for nothing.

S3 is content. Just like S1 and S2 are levels of content.
Demo - Sx get physics when updated.

This thread is closed

Cleanup : Off topic posts from 0.6E15 thread
(45 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG