The online racing simulator
LFS need more car physics
(21 posts, started )
This game is great and gets better with each new version but why not make it even more fun and realistic by adding vehicle physics? Like there was released this recently:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X77cThD4vj8
Sure you might react that if we want that type of stuff we should just play that game instead BUT you are missing point then. I am not trying to make LFS new BeamNG but to simply borrow some stuff ideas that fits for LFS instead. We don't need all of it but if this is simulator not arcade(Trackmania?) then we do need additional improvements in that area aswell. Also this option should be optional - switchable ON or OFF in game options to prevent massive QQ from players.

Example: We would be able to destroy car by not driving it properly - switching gears without clutch or wrong usage of gear selection like switching to reverse while driving at high speed forward, not switching to higher gear when in manual red zone for long to damage engine etc.
lfs is a 'online racing simulator' crash physics like that online would make it really laggy.
Quote from k_badam :{...}crash physics{...}

I was actually suggesting something else - car(engine,parts,etc.) physics but crash physics would be fun too!
You know that beamNG doesn't have transmission damage for incorrect shifting?
And no engine damage for over reving? You do know that LFS has this already?

Quote from pärtan :You know that beamNG doesn't have transmission damage for incorrect shifting?
And no engine damage for over reving? You do know that LFS has this already?

Is that so? Then why in real life this happens when you switch gears wrong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGR6o4dnxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXe6BXMSgn0&t=4m22s
Not to mention what happens if you switch to reverse at speed and viceversa.
:doublefacepalm:
Yes... Real life does. What's your point?
Yeah its in lfs... barely and very lame.
You can do it better? Go ahead, amaze the world please.
no i cant but i aint the one that started selling a game in the first place.
simpele
Am I the only guy who thinks RoR (and this BeamNG thing now) soft body physics actually looks terrible?

Face it people, we are far far away from having enough computational power to do this in the right way, let alone sync it well over long distances.
Quote from Keling :Am I the only guy who thinks RoR (and this BeamNG thing now) soft body physics actually looks terrible?

Face it people, we are far far away from having enough computational power to do this in the right way, let alone sync it well over long distances.

It's far from perfect, and depends very heavily on the skill of the vehicle creator. But it's the closest thing to real life we've been able to muster. To be honest the engine has very little to do with the vehicle behavior.

But on the topic of bringing it to LFS, it's not needed, BeamNG is a crash game for destructive 12-year-olds above all, it's nowhere near a decent simulator yet. RoR however had the chance to evolve into a simulator where literally any vehicle can be (somewhat) accurately represented, but that's beside the point. LFS is a racing simulator, the only time you would be crashing is if you, or someone around you, makes a mistake. The crash only lasts as little as a fraction of a second. Yes, LFS' crash physics could use work to make the behavior and damage more realistic, but we don't need a full-on simulation of every body panel like Soft-Body sims bring to the table. It's just overkill.

Not to mention, it would be nearly impossible to implement at this point in LFS' development, RoR and BeamNG were developed from the start with this technology. LFS has been developed for 12 years without the thought of this being used. You'd literally have to start from scratch and attempt to recreate to a tee the physics that we have in LFS currently, along with handling the challenges of creating a decent Soft-Body engine, which are immense.

It just doesn't make sense, and even if there was a reason to do it, you'd be looking at another decade at least, to get it into a respectable state.
Quote from Mr. Kninja :{...}LFS is a racing simulator, the only time you would be crashing is if you, or someone around you, makes a mistake. The crash only lasts as little as a fraction of a second. Yes, LFS' crash physics could use work to make the behavior and damage more realistic, but we don't need a full-on simulation of every body panel like Soft-Body sims bring to the table. It's just overkill.{...}

WTF? Why noone is paying attention to what is written? I was not suggesting crash physics but more detailed car physics where damage to car itself is very important in simulation because it is not arcade like NFS where you crash in everything and car doesn't even have scratch and where you can abuse car without consequences! Just like real manual and real automatic transmission also is part of racing but it is not included yet(driver assistant aid doesn't count). I was also gonna suggest random car failure feature but i guess that would be pointless too. Noone wants to hurt pixel images of imaginary vehicles in a simulator game.
One of the most disappointing things in LFS for me is walls contacts. Whenever you spin off track and going to collide a wall or barrier, you can try to target your car directly on the wall and Surprise! You can go further without any problems, because you damaged only the body of the car, not the suspension... This feels pathetic...

Aerodynamic elements should be damagable, and they should fall off...

LFS body damages look good enough for me, but it is pity that it has no influence on simulation...

But these talks are not really helpful, since nobody knows what developers have already and it looks like they do not bother to react on the feedback too much
Quote from edzhjus :WTF? Why noone is paying attention to what is written? I was not suggesting crash physics but more detailed car physics where damage to car itself is very important in simulation because it is not arcade like NFS where you crash in everything and car doesn't even have scratch and where you can abuse car without consequences! Just like real manual and real automatic transmission also is part of racing but it is not included yet(driver assistant aid doesn't count). I was also gonna suggest random car failure feature but i guess that would be pointless too. Noone wants to hurt pixel images of imaginary vehicles in a simulator game.

+1
Quote from vitaly_m :One of the most disappointing things in LFS for me is walls contacts. Whenever you spin off track and going to collide a wall or barrier, you can try to target your car directly on the wall and Surprise! You can go further without any problems, because you damaged only the body of the car, not the suspension... This feels pathetic...

Aerodynamic elements should be damagable, and they should fall off...

LFS body damages look good enough for me, but it is pity that it has no influence on simulation...

But these talks are not really helpful, since nobody knows what developers have already and it looks like they do not bother to react on the feedback too much

+1

If you want people to drive in a realistic mindset, you need to create a world where people get realistic consequences for bad moves. If there's something they can abuse without being punished they will do it.

We should not expect soft body physics in LFS, like Mr. Kninja has pointed out. But adding physical punishment according to impact impulse and position is way easier.
Quote from edzhjus :Is that so? Then why in real life this happens when you switch gears wrong?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsGR6o4dnxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXe6BXMSgn0&t=4m22s
Not to mention what happens if you switch to reverse at speed and viceversa.
:doublefacepalm:

.:triplefacepalm:.
1. You linked to a video of BeamNG in the original post, not IRL videos.
2. BeamNG does not feature over reving damage or transmission damage. It only features soft body collision damage.
3. LFS features over rev engine damage as shown in the two IRL videos you linked.
4. Switching to reverse at speed in LFS doesn't provide any advantage so there is no reason to give penalties for it.
5. A real effect of incorrect shifting would be gear grinding, however this can't be simulated because you can't trough software programming lock out a gear from the actual real physical gearbox controller.
6. This idea is pointless
.:4xfacepalm:.
Quote from pärtan :5. A real effect of incorrect shifting would be gear grinding, however this can't be simulated because you can't trough software programming lock out a gear from the actual real physical gearbox controller.

Not really on topic but this should be easy with a joystick shifter right?
Quote from Keling :Not really on topic but this should be easy with a joystick shifter right?

Joystick shifters suck though
Quote from pärtan :Joystick shifters suck though

Can we combine joystick and a mechanical grid? Should be the best of both worlds.
Quote from Keling :Can we combine joystick and a mechanical grid? Should be the best of both worlds.

We can't but ask logitech or fanatec.
I'd use electro-magnets to pull or push the stick into a gear and thus simulate the resistance.

(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG