The online racing simulator
G25 shifter - replacement
(11 posts, started )
My friend has a g25 shifter which is dying, it wont select 1st and 3rd, we worked out its the little switch wires which are all buggered, we have replaced the wires and tried to fix it which does work for about an hour.

Does anyone know where we can get any replacement switches or a 2nd hand shifter?
I see secondhand G25 shifters on Ebay quite often...maybe that is an option?
The micro switches have a number on them...without taking mine apart I do not know the number...but there will be parts or an equivalent available.

Note also that I seem to remember reading some fault with the G25 shifter mechanism ....the micro switches either work or not....personally I never used the shifter for changing gear.
Quote from Anthoop :
Note also that I seem to remember reading some fault with the G25 shifter mechanism ....the micro switches either work or not....personally I never used the shifter for changing gear.

I used mine 6+ years on sequential (the H-pattern was used very few times), and it was so worn-out that even the sequential shifts were failing...

It's the same as the pedals. When they were new they worked fine. After some time they start to spike and then some months/years later they are too broken to be used without getting really annoyed by them.
After a little more experimentation we found that each gear selection selects either 4th or 3rd. So 1st, 3rd and 5th all select 3rd, 2nd and 5th select 4th and reverse didnt select anything.

Sequential shift selected 1st (pushed forward) and nothing (pulled back)

I didnt realise but the switches i was talking about were actually potentiometers. We double checked the connections aswell, so using a multimeter we checked the circuit between the length of all wires. Then we plugged everything in and checked the plugs were connected correctly all came back finez

The only thing we couldnt rule out was the 2 pots and the pcb.

So i need the potentiometers i think.. Any ideas?
Indeed, the fault is either the potentiometers or the wires breaking. I was lucky to have both since my first G25. I had wires that somehow were cut in half??? and potentiometers which I just had to clean and I was fine to go. Try cleaning it with electrical cleaning spray.
#6 - Mysho
From my own experience (haven't got anything else but G25s) your best option would be to buy a new shifter from e-bay. Even if you will do your stuff with p-meters the thing will just repeat over and over again after some time.

You need to switch the part and hopefully find the "strong" one, which will last longer time. It's usually best option imo.
Is it potentiometers in there eh?! One day I will have mine apart and have a looksee.

I would definitely try cleaning as it costs nothing.
Anyone know if it is the same potentiometer as used in the pedals?
Due to how the pot. works they do get dirty...and they also wear out.
If the track is not worn out then a good clean will fix it...for now.
Quote from Anthoop :
Anyone know if it is the same potentiometer as used in the pedals?

Not at all. They are completely diferent.
#9 - robt
Tried spraying some contact cleaner in there and changing gear like a madman for a minute or two? Do that then let it dry out and then plug it in, might do the trick Solved many a "dead button/pot" problem.
i did spray them with cleaner and kept changing through the gears but it didnt really make any difference

looks like he's just gunna have to save for a standalone shifter.
Quote from Whiskey :Not at all. They are completely diferent.

Thanks. So I guess I need to have a look.

If it can be of any help to you Redman then I have spare time next week and will take it apart and have a gander.....if you are sure the connections are ok and you are sure you have cleaned the pots adequately then it sounds like new pots are needed but I can not be totally sure until I see what I am looking at.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG