The online racing simulator
I got so-so quick in the GT 12c on iRacing, and I found myself having to use weird tricks to go fast that definitely weren't realistic. Just felt like you were driving on ice half the time. The way you had to rotate the car before the apex. it reminded of the ridiculous lap records on LFS. Though LFS these quirks only appear right at the shape end of WR world. Just because something is hard to get used to doesn't mean it's more realistic.

Drive a modern car and try to ignore every piece of feedback you don't get in a sim and they do feel absolutely dead. So naturally in a sim some cars will feel dead.

With Assetto Corsa, everything seems to correlate well with my (admitadly limited) real world experience
-
(nathan246) DELETED by nathan246 : You didn't see anything. Go away you homosapien.
Quote from Intrepid :I got so-so quick in the GT 12c on iRacing, and I found myself having to use weird tricks to go fast that definitely weren't realistic. Just felt like you were driving on ice half the time. The way you had to rotate the car before the apex. it reminded of the ridiculous lap records on LFS. Though LFS these quirks only appear right at the shape end of WR world. Just because something is hard to get used to doesn't mean it's more realistic.

Drive a modern car and try to ignore every piece of feedback you don't get in a sim and they do feel absolutely dead. So naturally in a sim some cars will feel dead.

With Assetto Corsa, everything seems to correlate well with my (admitadly limited) real world experience

+1. McLaren MP4-12C GT3 is waaaay more well done in Assetto Corsa than in iRental. I've tried the car on both platform. In iRental you need to rape the car, torture her to turn into the apex and still missing it (well, yeah, you can say - drive a proper setup, noob, not default, but I drove in AC as well without any changes in car setup, just a default). It's really awkward you know, when in one simulator the car is so understeery that looks pretty ridiculous, knowing the fact it's a modern rwd racing car, meanwhile in other - it's really well balanced and at some stages is very oversteery, but not understeery at all. Although, I find really interesting in AC McLaren's behavior, when you entering high speed corner or that fast chicane in Silverstone, the rear is prone to run away, but at the same time I like that it's really realistic physics between street car, like MP4-12C and racing car MP4-12C GT3. If you can easily catch the sliding back with street car, then with racing car is basically no chance, especially when back runs away at high speed corner.
They have done some tweaks with the HDR, no need for 'page down' at daytime
I'm always one for defending iRacing usually, but the MP4 at the moment is a piece of shit, and before it wasn't any better. It's meant to be racing the RUF but it's not even close,if you slightly look at a kerb the wrong way it spins, unless you run jacked up tyre pressures and other setup tricks that make it feel garbage. AC have the nose ahead for at least the MP4, definitely.
Yea but the RUF was never a GT3 car anyway, so the pace isn't comparable to anything other than the generic GT3 rule-set.
Quote from DeKo :I'm always one for defending iRacing usually, but the MP4 at the moment is a piece of shit, and before it wasn't any better. It's meant to be racing the RUF but it's not even close,if you slightly look at a kerb the wrong way it spins, unless you run jacked up tyre pressures and other setup tricks that make it feel garbage. AC have the nose ahead for at least the MP4, definitely.

I have the same opinion. I do respect iR and I think along with AC it's definitely providing the best racing experience. Basically the rest iR cars are awesome, I've not tried all of them, but which I've tried are excellent and I don't complain physics of the iR, in general, they are working really fine, and can't understand those who really complains and drops iR just for that mysterious low speed-ice driving physics. I didn't have any bad experience with physics, but I had a bad moment with MP4-12C GT3 for sure.
I like it.
Mp4 gt3 is a good example of why I prefer road cars in simulators. It just feels underpowered and not anywhere near as involving as the evora s2, which was also added.
Of course you'd prefer road cars over GT cars. You don't get the G-forces from simulators which would make it feel awesome as in real life, so driving them feels steril compared to the road cars which twitch every direction.
At least aside from obvious g-force absence you can get properly immersed when driving race cars from the sound and the vibe you get. You don't really drive a road car in a sim and get immersed in quite the same way I think.
I get at least twice the enjoyment out of road cars.. E30 is a gift from sim gods..
Quote from BlueFlame :Yea but the RUF was never a GT3 car anyway, so the pace isn't comparable to anything other than the generic GT3 rule-set.

The only thing stopping it from being a Porsche 911 GT3 is a license, otherwise it's identical.
I dont understand why every racing games (sims too) have such a boring sounds. AC has okay sounds but cars like MP4 GT3 sounds beastly IRL but in AC it sounds more like vacuum cleaner compared to real life.
Quote from BlueFlame :At least aside from obvious g-force absence you can get properly immersed when driving race cars from the sound and the vibe you get. You don't really drive a road car in a sim and get immersed in quite the same way I think.

Impact of sound is quite easily adjusted with the volume control, and I believe non mechanical noises are at least as crucial to the immersion factor as mechanical noises. Wind and road noise, dirt and debris hitting the car, tyre noise, all at least as important as a loud whiny diff.

I don't know what you mean by "vibe" though, it's not like I'm pretending to be a race-car driver because it's a race car, it's sim-racing/driving regardless.

I think the Mp4 feels like a really good representation of the car. But I just don't get why people want (so many of) these overly grippy underpowered feeling cars in simulators. Seriously, some people want every single GT3 car in the game!
Quote from DeKo :The only thing stopping it from being a Porsche 911 GT3 is a license, otherwise it's identical.

Well a RUF is not identical to a 911. RUF have a different philosophy to Porsche, thats why they modify them so heavily.
Quote from sinbad :Impact of sound is quite easily adjusted with the volume control, and I believe non mechanical noises are at least as crucial to the immersion factor as mechanical noises. Wind and road noise, dirt and debris hitting the car, tyre noise, all at least as important as a loud whiny diff.
!

One thing I don't get with AC is the ambient sounds.
Why on earth did the devs think it was realistic to be able hear the crowd cheer and blow their trumpets, as you pass by them in your ear bleedingly noisy racing car with your helmet on?
LFS does the same thing too, with a polite round of applause as you take the chequered flag.

Why?
First sim problems
Just tried the MP4-12C GT3 in AC, first time driving for a couple of weeks in either iRacing or AC and really enjoyed the driving experience.

I like the physics in both sims but what strikes me when I haven't driven much is that in AC the cars feel connected and I feel in-tune straight away. It still takes me a bunch of laps to really start pushing the limits but I don't feel frustrated by the experience.

Whereas in iRacing when I am in-tune with the feel of the sim it is great also and comparable but I find it a much more frustrating experience than in AC to get in-tune with the feel for grip. If that makes sense...

Anyway still really enjoying AC and looking forward to more to come
I have absolutely no time to try it due to my gf and my job.
BMW 1M - eBay Motors livery

More on AC FORUMS or HERE.
What else has this awesome feel that E30 provides, i'm sure i'm missing some great cars and combos..
Quote from Boris Lozac :What else has this awesome feel that E30 provides, i'm sure i'm missing some great cars and combos..

Try the new 'mapped' 1m
Can I just ask this for everybody that uses AC.

I could not run the Tech Demo above 15fps, with everything turned down. What chance have I got on running AC? The problem is I don't want to pay £30 to find out it is non playable?

Here is my specs

Windows 7 64 Bit
I3 3.30ghz
8GB Ram
Nvidia GF 120
Intel HD GFX ( using this for third screen )
1TB SATA drive

I didn't have third screen for Tech Demo, and it still didn't run above 15fps

CHeers

Fordie

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8871 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG