The online racing simulator
GT World Series 2014: Round 4 Administrator's Notebook
Was a good round, apart from the server issue. Here's a few notes, mainly on stuff from my end. You all raced cleanly, but caused just enough mayhem to keep us active in race control

Ordering at the Red Flag and a Tracker Thing

I'm pretty sure half my errors and delays in ordering the grid were just because I may have misclicked and deleted one too many or one too few laps from the tracker. It's also possible that I did it right, but when teams complained about the lap counts being "wrong" I couldn't straight up wrap my head around it. I'm sorry it took so long to sort.

What happens is, if you're trapped between the GT1 leader and the GT2 leader, you're on the tail end of the GT2 lead lap, but because the tracker counts laps in relation to the GT1 leader, it thinks you're a lap down in relation to the GT2 leader because when it does the scoring, you have completed one less lap than the GT2 leader. During a normal Safety Car, this situation is alleviated by the wave-around; and at race end it doesn't really matter because the difference doesn't usually impact the completion limit for points, and the order is still correct.

Should there be another server failure, I'll do what I did this round: the cars that were in the wave-around position at the red flag were given an extra "lap" packet - I deleted one less of theirs to synchronise their laps, making the tracker accurate on lap gaps.

This trick is also why everyone is a bonus lap down to the GT2 leader at the halfway result - the leader was the second to last car in the string of cars at that lap, only Car 56 crossed s/f after the leader.

Inter-class Drafting

Since there was a close incident on it during Round 4, and it was penalized at Blackwood, I need to remind you - GT1s should not "wait" for GT2s to offer an extended tow. GT1s should only wait behind a GT2 if it's unsafe to overtake, and then should overtake rapidly once it is safe to do so, and do so in a safe manner. Since KY2 has many significant drafting opportunities, this will be especially important to mind. Also remember, per rule, Bump Drafting is PROHIBITED at all times in GT World Series.

Life and Everything

It's unfortunate that those who had it had their strife with Tomek, and couldn't resolve it like gentlemen due to his sudden passing. So too, it is unfortunate that we had to be reminded what we do mean to each other in such a way. We do this for fun, and the competition. We take it seriously, but we also have great times with each other. Just remember how it can all be gone all of a sudden, and while this Internet world may be where we talk with the likelihood of never meeting each other in person, we do leave lasting impacts on those we deal with in this virtual world. Remember that I myself do appreciate and respect you all for participating in these events and being around to make it worthwhile to still be here, whether you race, or commentate, or admin. While I may lose my temper more often than I'd like, I still am glad that you're all here to race with us.

It's near the end of a long season with more than we wanted in it; but there's still plenty of racing action to come.
Quote from dekojester :While I may lose my temper more often than I'd like, I still am glad that you're all here to race with us.

Deko, if you didn't lose your temper, it'd make races boring. Especially KY500 practice sessions. Some grin-inducing moments there
#3 - CSF
Two points I would like to ask about from Round 4:

Why was there no Safety Car for the car out of fuel in a dangerous position?

Is it really necessary to send a course car against traffic for the whole of the last sector? I understand the want to not have SC's, but as I have said before, an RC going backwards round the track, on the grass or not, is still dangerous.
Quote from CSF :Two points I would like to ask about from Round 4:

Why was there no Safety Car for the car out of fuel in a dangerous position?

Is it really necessary to send a course car against traffic for the whole of the last sector? I understand the want to not have SC's, but as I have said before, an RC going backwards round the track, on the grass or not, is still dangerous.

The position at which Car 53 came to rest was around the same spot that Car 96 had come to rest earlier in the race after burning his clutch. It was deemed at the time to be sufficently far off the racing path to leave enough room.

Sending the rescue car counter-course was done, but I did alert the RC to be extremely careful and guided it every moment of it's trip against the flow of the course. The RC did disobey my order to stay agaisnt the armco in the final chicane entry, going to the incorrect side of the marker boards, but did follow the directives for the rest of the trip.

The Safety Car should have been deployed, yes. It is entirely my fault it was not; I did not take into account the difficulty that the recovery would undergo during the final chicane. Fortunately, the only issue I observed was Car 77 being held up thorough the chicane, but they did a very good job to avoid a collision.

I was off the entire time after the issues during the red flag. I am hereby reprimanding myself for an erroneous judgement, which unduly held up Car 77. It is my error and fault that Car 77 had to take corrective action to avoid a collision with Car 53 and the rescue car at the exit of the final chicane.

A similar case in future will probably see the safety car scrambled, and the rescue car scrambled along the direction of the course at the same time to attend to the stricken vehicle, which it should have ample time to do so once cars start catching the SC.
No, it was not.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG