The online racing simulator
New Autocross Designer
(57 posts, started )
I tried that, but the cones just end up crossing each other. I'll post a screenie.
Duh, Duplicate it and stretch it larger.
#28 - cdub
Argh!

I spent a whole lot of time making The World's Best Autocross Layout (TM) and lost it all. It could have been the size of the thing, though I did trim it down to less than 500 objects.

What needs to be done with Library.zip? Extract to dir, or just leave it?

I haven't tried it again yet, though I hope to - it's a great little app, very easy to use once you get your head around beziers! Well done.
Attached files
TrackLab.exe.log.txt - 2.3 KB - 260 views
Quote from cdub :Argh!

I spent a whole lot of time making The World's Best Autocross Layout (TM) and lost it all. It could have been the size of the thing, though I did trim it down to less than 500 objects.

What needs to be done with Library.zip? Extract to dir, or just leave it?

cdub, very sorry to hear you had troubles. Did you save the layout as you were going along (as opposed to exporting)? If so, can you send me a copy, so I can try to repro the problem? If not, saving regularly is probably the best way to deal with any fragility in this early release of the designer.

The log file is useful, I see one or two possible causes - did you have any really short curves which had long objects like barriers? Did the program crash with a message or just exit silently? Did it crash several times?

Regarding the Library.zip, you don't need to unzip, Python digs the libraries out of it on the fly.

Anyway, I'll keep looking and banging on it, but as I say, the best thing to do if you want to try again is to save regularly, since that both protects your work and will give me a starting point for exploration if you run into troubles again.
i've had a couple of issues...

track1 - exported the lyt file just fine and opened it up and everything was as it should be in LFS. perfect. I went to open its .trk file in tracklab, and nothing was there in the design view. its just empty.

track2 - exprted the lyt file, and tried to open it in LFS, empty car park. this one i can re-open in tracklab and everything is still there. after exporting, there is an alert box saying there was an error, and upon checking the log file, there is the following message:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "TrackLabMain.py", line 646, in OnExportLFSTrack
struct.error: ubyte format requires 0<=number<=255

the files are saved/exported to a subdirectory of the tracklab folder called tracks.

i've attached both the .trk and .lyt files for both tracks to see if they can help you out.

still think this is a great program
Attached files
tracks.zip - 5.4 KB - 317 views
Sorry about these troubles. Again, it's alpha code, never been banged on by other people. I'll try and fix things as quickly as possible.

Glyphon: thanks for the two .trk files. I have found at least a couple of the bugs and hot on the heals of some others. I'm able to fully open both track1.trk and track2.trk now and I'm chasing the export issues.

Will post a patched version shortly...

John.
theres a small bug with barrier white and red (the short ones) theyre treated as if they were the long ones so all you get is a bunch of barriers spaced out wide
Hey! A fellow AutoX program maker buddy. (I made the Layout Thingy)

I have to say this is a nice program yet very simple to use. The way things should be. The feature of distributing objects along a curve is something I had in mind if I ever got around to updating my own.

So keep up the good work and if you want, please steal the aerial and object graphics of AU1 for your own program. Yes, not all the objects are there but they will be someday
I've posted a patch that should fix all the currently-reported problems, including the red/white barrier lengths. You can get it here. Sorry again its 14MB, I'll have to figure a patch scheme for the Python library .zip.

Try opening/exporting the troublesome .trk files again and they should work now.

John.
Quote from Stuff :Hey! A fellow AutoX program maker buddy. (I made the Layout Thingy)

I have to say this is a nice program yet very simple to use. The way things should be. The feature of distributing objects along a curve is something I had in mind if I ever got around to updating my own.

So keep up the good work and if you want, please steal the aerial and object graphics of AU1 for your own program. Yes, not all the objects are there but they will be someday

Thanks for the encouraging words RayOK. I do plan to add rendering at some point and your offer is very much appreciated.
John,

You don't need to be appologizing for your program. I think all of us that are using it realize that it is an alpha build, and expect there to be the occasional kink. I for one am very glad that you decided to start this project because it is something that was very much needed.

i'll test the tracks that i built with the new version as soon as i get to the computer that i was using when the problems happened.

again, much thanks

.:edit:.
both of my trks seem to be working now. thanks
This is great. It's exciting to make something and then see it appear in LFS!

One addition I think would be highly valuable is to be able to import layout files into the program for editing.
Quote from Michael Denham :One addition I think would be highly valuable is to be able to import layout files into the program for editing.

Yes, I'm tinkering with that now. To make it really useful, I think I have to add general curve-grouping to the editor, so you can move/scale/rotate groups of curves at once, then I'd make it possible to import .trk files as groups that you could place as entire track elements.

The other minor problem with this is that the set of objects for each track are different, so you'd have to have different sets of importable elements for each track, or it would have to drop object assignments on import if the original track didn't match.
Sounds like a nice program... Ill be able to test it in about 40 minutes when its done downloading

Dial_up_DriFter
Dial up. D:
(delete) double posted
Well done for putting this together, I had the same kind of idea a while back but never got around to doing anything about it. Its a really nice, easy to use little program.

I'm sure you've got your own list of features you'd like to see implemented but here are a couple of ideas to add to it if they arent already there:

1. Import background image, with scale and move capability. That way people can import aerial maps and trace over.

2. Option to place arcs, not just beziers. Beziers are nice, but race tracks tend to have a high proportion of constant radius turns, which can be a bit of a faff to replicate with bezier.

Thats it, keep up the good work.
suggestion: working mouse wheel including scrolling horizontally (by holding shift) and zooming (holding ctrl)
Can you make it so that I specify a road width, and it draws two rows of cones next to the path?
Hows development on this coming?
Quote from glyphon :Hows development on this coming?

Hi Glyphon. I've been working on other projects, sorry to say - this was a little labor of love for the AXers out there. I will get back to it, I promise. That said, I have fixed several export & file save/open bugs and included a simple .trk file importer which will overlay the imported track (or track segment) on the current design. It can be downloaded here: TrackLab v0.1d.

John.
Can some one compress the hell out of these?
okay...at first it said in a popup box.... python24.dll could not be found...blahblahblah so i downloaded it and installed it into the folder

now when i try to run the program it says "Runtime error!

program desktop/blahblah/blahblah.exe

this application has requested runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
please contact the applications support team for more information"

??? and yes i installed the D patch
I dont know if this is just me or the program, don't get me wrong, awesome program, but AVG found a trojan in it. (see attachment)

Like i said, it might just be me, but i would suggest everyone check, to be sure.
Attached images
Untitled-1.jpg
Just scanned it with AVG Free (Linux, checks for windows virus's to prevent spread to windows computers) and with Avast, AVG returned positive, whereas Avast returned negative, and I often get false positives with AVG, so I am convinced that it is clean.
question on the program, like one of u said before you would put a barrier in but it wouldnt show up, I have the same problem, what am I doing wrong?

New Autocross Designer
(57 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG