The online racing simulator
how much selling insim costs?
hello
i had an idea about creating a new insim, and i started in it
if i plan to sell it, how much does it approximately cost?
considering that it contains the common features and some additional ones
#2 - Jakg
I don't think there's a viable business in selling InSim applications in LFS - and even if there was, the value would be very very very low.

Your more likely to have someone pay to develop an application for them, but even then I don't think your likely to get much.

PS - Love the description of "it has some common features and some additional ones". Thats pretty much any application... ever.
The 2 main InSims that I've seen used on servers are LFSLapper (aka lapper) and Aario, which are both free (Aario has a pay for version, but now that EQWorry has 'disappeared' not sure that that version is still available).

There are other Insims around - bit more specialized to use (I think, although I maybe doing them a dis-service), like PRISM, etc.

And as the cruise element of LFS always seem to be having spats and falling out with each other, you sometimes see someone make a cruise insim available for free.

With all these free choices, and not having tens of thousands of server owners, not sure would even be worth it.

And even if you managed to make a sale, what guarantee would you have that it wouldn't be available for free (stolen, hacked, accident) within short time anyway. I mean if Microsoft can't make Windows or Office hack proof, can you make your software such?

As someone who writes add-on scripts for lapper, much better to do it for the challenge, or the experience, or for fun, or for showing originality, or for kudos, or whatever, but NOT for making any money out of it; especially not a living!
well, i see a lot of almost copied insims, i mean almost same features with one or two differences.
so you mean that there's no benefits from creating a different insim than those and sell it?
Quote from zazcoisa1998 :well, i see a lot of almost copied insims, i mean almost same features with one or two differences.

That's probably because most people want the same thing now.

Remember, this game is quite a few years old now (look at my Join Date - and I was a latecomer!), and its likely that features that people would like to see in an Insim have probably already been done.

Quote from zazcoisa1998 :so you mean that there's no benefits from creating a different insim than those and sell it?

I'm not saying there's no benefits; just don't expect to make any/much money from it.

Rather than worrying just now about the pros and cons of a new insim, make it, put it on a server - both to show people what you've done and for testing, and then come back to the forum and then ask if there's a market for your insim.

HOWEVER!

If you show or tell people about a new feature, be prepared for people to make their own version of that feature - there's a lot of very bright progammers using LFS that can make an insim (look at how many give free advice to budding and existing programmers), and once they've seen something new, there will be nothing to stop them making their own interpretation of that feature.

Even if you manage to sell one copy of your insim, once its in the public domain (ie showing running on a server - which is the very point of an insim) then any new idea is open to being plagiarised. You don't need to see actual code to copy an idea.

I don't want to appear all negative - I am trying to be constructive.

If I could programme (I do scripts using someone else's main code, so don't consider myself a programmer) I'd start by doing an insim with just some of the 'common features' that you talk about in your first post, and show on a server that it works, and is stable. Once you've got to that stage, then think about your additional features, and what to do with them.

At the very least, putting it out there and therefore proving that you can programme in the real world might well be something that you can put on your CV/Resume. That might be where any money might come from.

After all that, if you do decide to do some programming, then good luck.
#6 - Jakg
For the love of god please stop calling it an "an Insim".

It's the equivalent of asking "can someone make me an HTTP" when they want a web server.
Just for the record, I don't believe in deities or any form of divine celestial supreme being, so I'm incapable of loving any non-existant act of faith.

And as what to call it, some call it 'potato' and some call it 'photatho'; where I come from, we all call it a tattie (as for instance used in the phrase 'tattie howking'). Singular: tattie - plural: tatties.

As long as the person I converse with understands, who cares, as long as we can make chips out of it?

And to any north american reading this, when I say chips, I don't mean crisps, I mean fries. And when I say crisps, I of course mean potato chips. And when I normally talk of potato chips, I'm usually referring to chips made out of potatoes. That's french fry chips, and not potato chip crisps.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG