The online racing simulator
Things That Have Changed In You
(35 posts, started )
#1 - AndyC
So i'm in work and its a slow day and I got thinking since i've been playing LFS what's changed. So i thought i'd create a topic see if anyone has any intresting or similar changes in themselves. So feel free to fire away.

One thing i've noticed change in me is that my reaction times are much quicker, in real life as well as online gaming. I've saved quite a few near beer spillages in the pub that would have crashed to the ground over a year a go.

Another thing that has changed in me, which isn't a good thing, is that my trust in the road user has gone down. For example when going around a roundabout side by side with another car I'm thinking he'd better stick to his lane and just little things like that. Its quite annoying actually. And the other day I was on my bike waiting for a new BMW 7 Series to go and they decided it would be fun to reverse into me (that has nothing to do with LFS but it doesn't help my trust in Public road users)

So has anything changed in you since joining Live For Speed?

Andy.

Wrong section sorry, could someone please move this to off topic, cheers.
I think lfs screwed up my brain. But seriously, just like you, I have noticed improved reaction times.
I must say that my reaction times have improved too...and I can focus better..and my english has slightly improven but thats because the forums
Erm, I became way more of a car geek. And I know loads about physics and car mechanics that I didn't two years ago.
LFS forum made me not forget English after many years of learning it at the school and the university.

It also made me understand what racing skill is about, when in 2003 i started to improve my times and got better and better "feeling" of car, though simulated. Also made me passionate about bodywork cars racing (DTM, FIA GT, Porsche, WRC, WTCC) instead of F1.

The delay of S2 made me start learning Italian.
Late 2002 when I found LFS and early 2003 when I joined the RSC forums purely for LFS (although later I branched out a bit into other sections), I was a senior in high school with some of the worst grades imaginable. My work ethic was non-existant. I was working weekends at a gas station. March 31st, 2003, I released the first Grippy set on the forum after getting lots of compliments on it from people online.

Fast forward to June 2003, I graduated high school and my parents bought me a motorcycle as a graduation present. I was all signed up to go to the local county college in the fall. Grippy was huge among newer racers while I began growing out of it as a result of getting a wheel.

Fast forward to December 2003, I get my grades back from the county college after my first semester. With 3 A's and a B, they turn out to be the best grades I've ever gotten up to that point. Clearly my work ethic has changed practically overnight. My father bought a few pistols of various calibers and we start going to the pistol range every weekend. In late December, I quit my job at the gas station due to the weather getting much colder. GrippyLX4 had also become rather popular. Everything's going right for once.

Fast forward to June 2005, I've graduated from county college with very high marks (3.8 GPA out of a possible 4.0) and I'm all signed up to go to a university. The bike has been dumped a few times since I got it 2 years previous and I've sustained minor injuries as a result (all minor scrapes but they definately hurt a lot). Bob Smith seems to have taken over duties of making newbie sets.

Fast forward a bit more to present day, September 2005, and I'm living on campus at NJIT in Newark, New Jersey, USA having a pretty good time, feeling like everything's really come together with one major exception: I still have yet to find myself a girlfriend. :worried:

So, it could simply be coincidence but one might say LFS changed me a lot. My father seems to think it was the shooting, and I tend to agree having learned a lot of discipline from it, but I think it started before that.
improvement in reaction times.....
my grades!!!!
eye sight has gotten worse
RSI came about
my chair isnt soft anymore and now is in the form of my arse.....
got to understand setups more
stress levels have gone up....
screwed up my brain...
Improved my English a lot...
Lost my free time...

About real life driving dont think so, LFS is a good car sim but it have a long way to go to match with a real car driving.. a game is a game and a car is a car, but i have a lot fun and friends in this game ( best thing )
Quite a story Forbin. You can still offer feedback & advice on the setups you know, or do your own.

Madman: you get RSI from typing (or... something else ), not from using the wheel.
im a bit less arogant than before, and a bit more frustrated with idiots
#11 - th84
Personally, i have found that im going through twice as much hemroid creme as before! Maybe i need a new computer chair.
I think S1 helped me with my real driving. I started playing S1 when I was 14, and I went for my drivers license when I was 15 and passed with good comments from the tester. I'm 16 now.

I must say, LFS has helped me find my career choice. Before I played LFS, I wanted to sit on the couch all day, watching motorsport, now I want to be the one people are watching Which has inspired me to get into the motorsport field, and i'm going to Rally School next month, which if I pass I come out with my Targa, Rally and Track license.
Its all about losses and gains really...

Loss of eye sight
gain in weight
loss of free time
gain a few tenths on a track
loss in hair
gain in blood presure (especially around ESL time )

my english now is worse, cuz i spk in forum spk al de time
LOL, ROLF, WTF, AFAIK... etc etc

man i love this game!
well, because of lfs and other racing games i always feel the urge to push a car near its limits tractionwise. i'm always sorta fighting back that urge to go fast... LFS and trackdays keep me from wearing my tires down too much.

Also my fingers hurt from gripping the DFP tight for hours on end.
well i can say one thing...

one thing i havent gotten used to is driving in LFS after driving in life.. not the same at ALL.
not enough grip on most cars imo.. i mean the other day i couldnt do a U turn in an XFGTR.. going 5 mph.. the wheels just skidded while i was slowing doing turns around.. it just didnt want to turn, the wheels were squealing.. and the tires were at optimum.. dont know about faster speeds, but LFS sure doesnt feel right 40 mph and below
I stay up later at night.
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAA

how true for so many of us!
I learned to be nicer to noobs (ish)
I visit forums too much :S
I don't drink much at home any more. Drinking and playing LFS is impossible... obviously. It's a good job the pubs i frequent don't have PCs in them
No time for the wife after the kids are in bed, she watches TV and I race in the basement.

No time for watching the Nascar races. The wife heads to her mother's with the kids so I can watch the race and I end up on LFS.

Nascar is taking a backburner to road racing series. I'm now hunting for stuff like Grand Am or Trans Am series. Don't know all the road racing series, just look for cars like the GTR cars in LFS.

Work production suffers. Reading LFS, RSC, CRC, NAL, and Master Skinnerz forums takes precidence over anything work related. Yea boss, I'll get to that as soon as I post in the "Thing that have changed in you" thread.

I've found that I want to put stiffer shocks on the back end of my pickup truck so I can use the throttle to rotate around that corner on the way home from work, you know, work, where I just spent 8 hrs reading LFS forums.
i drive slowwwly in real life now.... LFS is enough to fill my adrenaline quota for the day.

my reaction times are slower now, Reactions rised up to ~15ms(i used to be an Unrealtournament - mohaa - COD serious player. About 10ms )

peripheral view awareness dropped alot (again, used to play unreal etc etc... now i only focus my full view into the road line, corners, etc..)

so i lost more than i gained... but i gained bigger "fights", a fight in LFS can last the entire race.
A fight in unreal lasts for a.. click

cya
messed up brain in combination with other "brainsmashers"
no free time
better reaction in real traffic
better shrt n long englich (forum + inSIM)
4 year old daughter that drives FE(short one) only 7or 8 seconds slower than me (25% ffb @ wheel)...
lot more mechanical/setup knowledge
Hmm... the most obvious change because of LsF: I discovered the appeal of virtual gears 'n' screws.
In the past, I was just a pc driver who liked to jumpin the action, not bothering about setups or manual transmission. I enjoyed both sims like GTR and arcade racers like World Racing or NFS. But now, after a few weeks of LfS (in which I had not nearly enough time to play ) all the other racing games feel lacking. So basically, I ended up with lots of software I won't touch ever again...
Hmmm geez.
Reaction times are slowly getting better. (even though my reaction times are extremely high due to playing ALOT of first person shooters online etc)
I've become ALOT more paranoid (always looking over my shoulder to see if someone is about to rear end the car i'm in.. it's not a fun way to live ... )
A new passion for car games. Well, LFS takes the cake that's for daaaaamn sure (even though i dibble dabled around car games before LFS :P)
Makes me sorta wanna get my license :P (i'm 19 and still don't have my leaners.. I KNOW I KNOW don't tell me ... )

so i guess it's about even :P
Quote from spyshagg :i

my reaction times are slower now, Reactions rised up to ~15ms(i used to be an Unrealtournament - mohaa - COD serious player. About 10ms )

Wow, they are seriously quick reaction times !! i'm about 20ms at the moment and its slightly improving with the help of LFS and CS:S

(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG