The online racing simulator
a mega high resolution pack
(10 posts, started )
hey guys, i was wondering, all you talents texture gods should team up and make a super high mega resolution packagek like combine all the packages and put as 1 huge project for lfs. the download package would all merge into one and extract easily for others. what do you guys think... ?
#2 - Honey
i agree with you with the need of an high-res megapack, indeed if you look at my project at sourceforge, you will notice a quite ambitious description.
my initial intention was to contact the imo best texture-makers and propose something like that, but first of all it would need an app to select/install/uninstall each mod because each user has different taste and my prefer a mod by mrX instead of that by mrY, also imo it is still early for that: imo only very few textures are worth for the original replacement.
if a megapack has to be done, it must be a professional one: only very professional content and a management app to manage different mods installation/uninstallation/upgrade of each single pack and so on...just to give you an idea: acceptable content should be as professional and very high quality as the aplinestar gloves by boris lozac and very few mods are at such stage til now.
of course everything is imo
Imo ( ) the future creators of that mega pack should wait until S2 is finaly done, so they won't need to do some minor upgrades every time when a new patch is out which modifies some textures .
This would be nice to see. Would take a fair bit of time and commitment. Not to mention teamwork.

Could make LFS look quite nice. The current textures look fine but when viewed from even slightly close they're just blur.

Makes me wish we'd actually finished the TSR blackwood, may have to give them some final touchups and release them. I personally think they look quite nice (Can see them in action in LawVS's Aspirations)

Perhaps worth waiting for S2 final but I don't really see what could be changed about the tracks that would break textures between now and then.
Isn't LFS really all about on-line racing? When I'm heading down the home straight at blackwood towards the hairpin with cars either side of me, all the scenery is a bit of a blur. 512, 1024, 2048 doesn't matter one jot in the experience, just dents the frame rate. For those of you who prefer to park up at the side once you've spun into the sand trap, and watch the race whilst chewing on the remains of an old pork pie you found left in the glove box, then maybe a mega-res my-gpu-is-bigger-than-yours 650 gigabyte expansion pack might be of interest. I really can't see much point. Sorry.
Yes, LFS is a racing simulator and not a spectator simulator. But for some graphics are part of the 'sim factor'. It helps to immerse you if your surroundings look true to life. Plus graphics cards are getting more powerful by the day and personally I'd rather have 80fps and high res textures than 150 and the standard ones.

People pay hundreds, or thousands, of pounds for modern PC's and if they want to use the power of those by using high resolution textures, then more power to them. It will always remain an option
an option yes. however people have tried to make "high res" textures by stretching existing lfs textures, and attempting to add more detail to them, which IMO didn't really make much of a difference.

so essentially, all textures would have to be created from scratch. i love the texture/artistic style that eric uses, it's what makes LFS what it is! I browse through threads where people offer new tarmac textures, and I look at the screenshots and always cringe - what one person considers to be an improvement i see it as several steps backwards - and that was just a tarmac change!

also another thing, when playing GTR 1/2 with its super high res tarmac & grass textures, i get this weird morphing effect that happens once you reach a certain speed, it almost looks like they start running backwards! must be to do with frame rate or whatever, but i certainly don't get that effect with lfs's textures!
^ thats probably because of framerate or something.. weird, i've never had that happen to me

not sure about extremely high res., but something more realistic will do
Quote from al heeley :Isn't LFS really all about on-line racing? When I'm heading down the home straight at blackwood towards the hairpin with cars either side of me, all the scenery is a bit of a blur. 512, 1024, 2048 doesn't matter one jot in the experience, just dents the frame rate. For those of you who prefer to park up at the side once you've spun into the sand trap, and watch the race whilst chewing on the remains of an old pork pie you found left in the glove box, then maybe a mega-res my-gpu-is-bigger-than-yours 650 gigabyte expansion pack might be of interest. I really can't see much point. Sorry.

This comment comes as quite a surprise coming from one of the most renown LFS skinners out there. Aren't all those cars flying by too fast to bother looking at the skin? Why bother even skinning the sides when you only see the front/back while racing?

While it's true that the scenery is going by quite fast, the simple fact is that all of the textures in the game are woefully low resolution, especially if you're playing on a fairly large screen or at a high resolution. When I can see the jaggies in the braking markers at 140mph, that's a problem. LFS would have just as much great gameplay even if there were no textures at all. But the quality of the textures helps add to the immersion and gives the game a crisper look. If you've never tried some of the textures in this subforum you should really give it a shot. It's truly amazing how much high res signs or track/grass textures change the look of the game. It's like putting on a set of eye glasses and suddenly seeing things much more clearly than before.

Give it a shot, Al. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised.
Quote :When I can see the jaggies in the braking markers at 140mph, that's a problem

Hear hear!

Quote :It's truly amazing how much high res signs or track/grass textures change the look of the game. It's like putting on a set of eye glasses and suddenly seeing things much more clearly than before.

Give it a shot, Al. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

For fun you might want to check out out latest mod.. a fairly complete high-res reworking of the major textures at blackwood. It's at http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=11238

PS, Al, I've been checking out your skins recently. Truly incredible work! How long have you been skinning for? :wow:

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG