The online racing simulator
TEST PATCH 0.6E6 (NOW E7 - 3D support)
(132 posts, closed, started )
Quote from sicotange :I'm glad 3D support implementation is going well so far. I suppose upcoming patch will focus solely on 3D support? There is no chance you could squeeze the little InSim improvements discussed last year (autocross: no ground level check flag, new flat slab object)? If you decided to ditch this idea could you say so please, because it is fueling some (false?) hope

Hi sicotange, I have not decided to ditch this idea, but I think it will not be available in this patch. As this patch can be kept compatible, it's good to avoid the disruption of an incompatible patch. I still like those ideas though and would like to do it properly at some point.

Quote from Whiskey :Some years ago you said that making LFS multi-threaded could be done in about 1 month (IIRC). Would it make sense to do this change just after/before the DX9? I know it's impossible to do at the same time because it would be a hell to debug that, but it could be done in the same test patch period to have a mega revamped LFS version once it's done.

I'll understand if you dont want to answer this right now, when you are still implementing the 3D, and sorry for this offtopic post

Well I don't think it's really important at the moment, because we don't suffer from frame rate problems. I can understand that would be good to maintain high frame rates while doing some super graphics, like dynamic clouds and various effects. But it seems a long way off, I know dynamic weather would be great and reward adaptability. But the foundation for this is the tyre physics and after this patch I must focus on the tyre physics. The new version does feel better to drive, because it has a basis in physical simulation.

Quote from acous :Is there any ETA on the next patch? Will there be a fix for view drift? Neck model? Sorry to be a pain... can't help venting my excitement

I'm hoping this evening. No neck model yet. About view drift, there is a way to assign view centering to a key or a wheel button :
https://www.lfsforum.net/showt ... php?p=1832368#post1832368

I can't actually eliminate view drift, only Oculus VR can do that. But you can press the key or button to centre the view occasionally.

Next test patch updates so far :

General :

Improved coordination of background and text when switching between interface screens

3D Support :

Driver in driver options screen and car in race setup screen are now visible in 3D modes
Move view with animation option is now disabled in 3D modes

Oculus Rift :

Head tracking now works for menu screens and in game HUD
Predictive tracking option now available (zero milliseconds disables prediction)
Render target texture size is automatically selected for the output screen resolution
1g head tilt option is automatically disabled when using Oculus Rift

Fixes :

FIX : Computers that failed to support Rift were prevented from selecting other 3D modes
Quote :Hi sicotange, I have not decided to ditch this idea, but I think it will not be available in this patch. As this patch can be kept compatible, it's good to avoid the disruption of an incompatible patch. I still like those ideas though and would like to do it properly at some point.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated
Quote from Scawen :
I'm hoping this evening.

Great news! Can´t wait for the next patch.
:bannana_g
Is it possible that you set a default FOV of 110-112° as default for the Rift? I recently use 111° which i feel is best.

Edit: 90° is way too less
I think due to the low resolution of the dev kit, fog would be really nice .

and

I've noticed that tilting my head feels pretty weird.

still really enjoyable experience, just upgraded to s2

So far the map that i like the most in the Rift is South City.
Quote from just2fast :Is it possible that you set a default FOV of 110-112° as default for the Rift? I recently use 111° which i feel is best.

Edit: 90° is way to less

I don't want to do that until I've gone through the calculations, using the official method. I am surprised you are using such a high value because the LFS Oculus Rift view does not use the full vertical FOV available on a 16:10 Rift (and that is OK because you have a helmet on). But this needs to be checked using the recommended calculations.

Anyway, this evening's patch will contain the following. I will have dinner now and then run some final checks, so expect this in a couple of hours. I might also add a 1:1 / 4:3 / 16:9 selector for the virtual monitor. It currently has distance and scale, but I suspect you might want to see it wider than it is high. Hopefully that will be easy enough...

Changes from 0.6E7 to 0.6E8 :

General :

CTRL+ and ALT+ (assign text to F keys) tabs are now visible in mouse / keyboard mode
Improved coordination of background and text when switching between interface screens

3D Support :

Car in race setup screen / garage and driver in options are now visible in 3D modes
Move view with animation option is now disabled in 3D modes

Oculus Rift :

Head tracking is now used for menu screens and in game HUD (virtual monitor)
Predictive tracking option now available (zero milliseconds disables prediction)
Render target texture size is automatically selected for the output screen resolution
ALT+F11 and ALT+F12 are set to /rift toggle and /rift reset if not already set
1g head tilt option is automatically disabled when using Oculus Rift
New text command "/rift toggle" to switch the Rift mode on or off

Fixes :

FIX : Computers that failed to support Rift were prevented from selecting other 3D modes
Quote from Scawen :I don't want to do that until I've gone through the calculations, using the official method. I am surprised you are using such a high value because the LFS Oculus Rift view does not use the full vertical FOV available on a 16:10 Rift (and that is OK because you have a helmet on). But this needs to be checked using the recommended calculations.

Maybe you are right, when considering wearing a helmet.
It´s just because with 90° everything just feels a little bit strange when looking up/down left/right and with around 110° this effect is almost not noticeable. And everything feels a bit to near and big with 90°.

BUT this effect can also be due lack of positional tracking respectively neck model! Who knows...
Test Patch 0.6E8
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6E6 (NOW E7 - 3D support)
(132 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG