The online racing simulator
G27 -> T500RS Upgrade
(16 posts, started )
G27 -> T500RS Upgrade
I am in the position where i can go from a G27 to T500RS with 458 wheels and TH8 RS shifter but the question is.. is it worth it?

will i really see that much of a difference between the two thats its worth the cost to upgrade..

i deffo want the 458 wheel and t500rs base/pedals.. the shifter, as long as its 6spd etc i can look at alternatives..
Fanatec CSW for sure
Depends on how much you can get your hands on it. I don't really find it that much better quality-wise compared to a G27. Yes, it's faster and more silent and more accurate, but it still feels cheap IMO.
Fanatec shills hard at work as expected.

Hard mount, change the wheel to something with leather, then it feels better than anything else under 1k pricepoint. Also 1080 degrees.

TH8 is awesome, the throws are pretty long compared to Logitech shifters, but it does feel like it could take a nuclear blast and survive. You can rage the gears in as hard as you can and it'll thank you for it.
Or just get a proper wheel to start with, instead of replacing the rim. Also quick release.
Quote from Bose321 :>Also quick release.

Which the T500 has. Not sure what's the point in it with a sim wheel though, not exactly a problem with space like in a car with roll cage.

Fanatec build quality seems to still be pretty much toylike, friend is on his 4th CSW now. Not what I'd call a reliable product, atleast their warranty works now, still sucks to be 2-3 weeks without a wheel every now and then.
well i can pick the full lot up for £350 brand new after factoring in the price i can sell the G27 for.

ive seen mods to make the throw of the gearstick shorter which id be interested in, one think i do like with the g27 shifter is i can stick it on the desk.

i would only really use the 458 wheel the standard rim would sit in its box forever or until someone needed one for a replacement i guess..

i do like the G27 but the knocking thing is starting to do my crust in (english for annoying) and its pretty much the only reason why im thinking about replacing it.
Quick release on computer steering wheel?? xD

Bose, no matter how much money you spend on computers and related, it wont change the fact that it's not real life!
Damn fanatec fanboi thinks he is a hardcore real life racer and car enthusiast
Quote from Matrixi :Fanatec build quality seems to still be pretty much toylike

Bahaha.
Quote from Torolol :Quick release on computer steering wheel?? xD

Bose, no matter how much money you spend on computers and related, it wont change the fact that it's not real life!
Damn fanatec fanboi thinks he is a hardcore real life racer and car enthusiast

Oh shit, I'm not an actual racer ?! I thought so because my superior wheel with quick release is so damn good.

I got fooled again.
Hehe. I know. But don't worry, no one is perfect.
It's in the belt driven force feedback IMO. And the load cell brake on the CSR Elite pedals and the hydraulic brake on the Club Sport Pedals.

Now. I only have the GT3 wheel with CSR E brake. And I have picked up a colossal amount of time that I didn't have on my G27. As for a toy construction? Not sure what weed you are on. My GT3RS is sturdy enough and the shifter is an aluminum handle and shaft with a little longer throw than the G27 (CSR shifter not CSW). The pedals are made out of aluminum and are no joke. Very easy to customize and there's a sensitivity knob right behind the brake so you don't need to play around for each individual game or with program profilers. I also love the on LED-screen adjustments so you can adjust your wheel lock, ffb, etc etc all on the go even while driving

For me the high resolution of the throttle and brake allow a lot of control. As a matter of fact I went from 1800 to 3000 iRating on iRacing.com after I swapped wheels. Basically you start at 1500, and 3000 is about the average of the top split races. So it's not a bad iRating. My point besides, I have much better feel in the wheel than my g27 had and the more precise pedals allow me to control the car much better and even feel the lock up threshold more easily. Especially helpful in a road car in LFS

In my opinion - you should try a Fanatec if you know someone who has one. It may take a while to get used to but I think it's more enjoyable.

@Matrixi, that DSD quick release cost 40 dollars itself, good try though.
I went from a G25 to the T500RS and shifter. The housing is huge compared to the G25, but the wheel itself is brilliant. The fanatec is comparable in fidelity, but the T500 is built like a tank and feels very solid. Get some polyurethane pad in the brake pedal and you get nearly that loadcell feel with it too. I can just manage to press it all the way if I press as hard as I can.
Well I'm practically at 3000 irating now anyway.. Lol

I'm only looking at the t500rs due to getting it so cheap, i cant afford the csw stuff..

I'm a little concerned about the size of the wheel base, i dont want it to overtake my desk and 24" monitor but i might have to deal with it.

So in conclusion then... For £350 its probably worth going for the upgrade?
Quote from Bmxtwins :@Matrixi, that DSD quick release cost 40 dollars itself, good try though.

The wheel has quick release (one screw on bottom) built in itself you numpty, that adapter just allows fitting any standard racing car wheel on it. And again, what does quick release matter... on a freaking sim racing wheel? You also forget to mention, that all that Fanaboy gear costs over twice as much as a T500 with a TH8 shifter and the TM wheel also has belt drive. Fanatec pedals are definitely more advanced. That said, there's nothing wrong with the TM pedals either, they're nuclear bunker solid and the pots are high quality.

@OP £350 including the shifter? Then yeah that's good value, go for it. I paid around 300 euros for my set a year ago and I love it.
£350 includes

T500RS
Ferrari 458 Italia wheel
Shifter

I thought that was a good deal personally but wanted to double check it was worth the upgrade.
Seems like a reasonable price. Was just offering an alternative

G27 -> T500RS Upgrade
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG