The online racing simulator
Quote from Sobis :Speak for yourself. LFS for ever and ever.

100% agreed with motionjuice here. there is enough to like about LFS what others don't have.
Quote from Sobis :Speak for yourself. LFS for ever and ever.

This.

LFS has always been the simulator i like to drive in.
#428 - col
Quote from DrBen :when Scawen sees a way to rejuvenate the physics of LFS that allows to stop the race-winning people to use all the catastrophically unrealistic set-ups as they are now -> we all win.

This is very important, and one of the main reasons why Scawen needs to update the tyre physics. Any real-time simulator will have weaknesses in the physics model, and after time, the players inevitably find and exploit them - competitive racing becomes less and less realistic as a result.

To me this is a much bigger deal than graphics or sound when it comes to immersion factor and believability of LFS.
What stops you from using those sets yourself?
Probably he thinks that it's a cheat,just like force mode...
#431 - col
Quote from ImudilaSkyline :What stops you from using those sets yourself?

Nothing obviously. Read my post - I said it makes it less realistic. Kind of a problem for a game that is all about simulating a realistic racing/driving experience.
Quote from ImudilaSkyline :What stops you from using those sets yourself?

What's the point of making a physics simulation if doing the right thing doesn't make you faster?
And what makes you think you do the right thing?
Physics are a moot point without an environmental simulation.

In the real world there is no such thing as as a perfect setup or a perfect lap. Conditions constantly evolve lap by lap and hour by hour. A perfect setup at midday can be half a second off the pace in the evening.

This is why the push for better tyre physics has never really interested me. I would be more interested in a Donington style airport next to Blackwood, or some greasy corners under overhanging trees at Fern Bay.

The problem with a static environment like LFS is that it is possible to achieve "perfection by repetition" and for me this in no way reflects the reality of doing a days racing.

Weather and localised environmental factors mostly come hand in hand with the ability to represent them in the graphical engine. There should be a local nuance to every circuit - Aston feels exposed and should be windy, Westhill is supposed to be on a hill in Britain and so should be exposed to the elements. South city should have drain covers and tarmac patches that affect the grip differently in different conditions - and the conditions should always be evolving.

This is what a simulation needs to be. All sims seem to focus on tyres and I've never felt that LFS was lacking in this department, environment always gets overlooked.

The aerodynamics model in LFS has always been the weaker, go look at downforce cars at club racing and you'll note that the cars in each train of cars generally follow each other at more or less the same distance apart.
#435 - col
Quote from Becky Rose :Physics are a moot point without an environmental simulation.

Nonsense. Tyre physics is one thing, environment simulation is another. Both are important, neither makes the other moot.

I totally agree that a dynamic environment would be a huge step forwards for LFS. However, the fact that unrealistic tyre physics leads to unrealistic setup and unrealistic driving techniques wouldn't change if you added a dynamic environment. You would be fixing a bunch of different problems.
I think environmental changes would make the enjoyment factor much greater in LFS. As it is the same people are always the fastest and it takes years of practice to get to the level that those fastest guys are. A little environmental grip change here and there would completely change the dynamics of a race. As it is the people who are fast at the start will be fast at the finish unless they melt their tyres.

Dynamic conditions would definitely improve the quality of league races, and would bring more driver interest in for LFS.

That's not the say that the tyre physics cannot be improved, but I think the environmental factor would be a greater improvement.
Quote from Cornys :As it is the same people are always the fastest and it takes years of practice to get to the level that those fastest guys are. A little environmental grip change here and there would completely change the dynamics of a race.

Dynamic conditions would definitely improve the quality of league races

I don't think the change would be this massive since I think the fastest guys now would still be fastest with the dynamic conditions. Obviously it will change the racing but the conditions will affect everyone.
Being a software developer and having my own projects I understand how it can be very hard to make progress past a certain point. I have to say, LFS is damn impressive for a 2-3 man team even after all these years. Keep working at it an a breakthrough will come soon enough! It's exciting to hear that the team hasn't given up.

On a side note, since LFS came out computing power and network bandwidth has gone way up. I can envision a multithreaded tyre model, shader based global illumination, and tons of other cool stuff being feasible all at the same time now!
Awesome to hear that there is still something going on. Thanks for the feedback

Do you run trails? Maybe we can catch up for a nice run in the woods
Quote from Ufo13 :I didn't see that 2009 post where the dev calls his fans idiots, I regret purchasing a licence from such an a**hole

If you didn't see the post, how can you comment?

You are now calling someone an a**hole because you are believing a false version of events that someone else has told you. Who's the a**hole now?
Quote from Scawen :If you didn't see the post, how can you comment?
Who's the a**hole now?

Trapped :clapclap:
Quote from Scawen :If you didn't see the post, how can you comment?

You are now calling someone an a**hole because you are believing a false version of events that someone else has told you. Who's the a**hole now?

You just gave me a good laugh for about 10 minutes. He (the person you quoted) is an a**hole because he believes in a complete bulls**t version of the line of events told by someone else.
If I excessively used swearwords, Im sorry.
Scawen bothered to reply?
Quote from rosewood2 :You just gave me a good laugh for about 10 minutes.

You usually this easily amused?
This whole lfs community is twisted.
Quote from pipa :You usually this easily amused?

It was a good laugh, yea.
As sick as I am of the lack of new content in LFS, I'm disgusted quadruple-fold by its "community". What a great racing simulator being sullied by such blithering idiots. Scawen ought to close the forum, it is a cesspool.

EDIT: Scawen, you're still cool. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing.
Quote from ToxicKlay :

EDIT: Scawen, you're still cool. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing.

But skip the useless 3D.
This thread is closed

Nobody has asked outright....so guess I will
(467 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG