The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :This is what I think. I don't really want people to buy a monitor or TV to see this - it's not worth it in my opinion.

If gaming, or LFS, is someones hobby and they've money to invest in their hobby - then why ever not? I spend a small fortune on my own past times. LFS isn't really one of them at the moment but it has been a keen interest in the past.

The only down side is that a large TV screen usually finds its way to the lounge, and steering wheels don't attach to coffee tables terribly well.

But action films are jolly entertaining in 3D. Not all of them granted and 3D does suck for RomComs, but add LFS to the mix and the only objection anyone should have to buying one is whether there is the available cash, and whether you can clear the other half out of the lounge long enough to get the steering wheel out before her lack of soap operas drivers her crazy.
Quote from Becky Rose :If gaming, or LFS, is someones hobby and they've money to invest in their hobby - then why ever not? I spend a small fortune on my own past times. LFS isn't really one of them at the moment but it has been a keen interest in the past.

You understood his meaning wrong. It's not about spending money. It's about 3D monitors being a gimmick. Yeah, they have some 3D effect, but you are still looking at a monitor.

Oculus Rift is much more immersive and it's only 300usd for the dev kit (supposedly even less for the upcoming consumer version). You would be hard pressed to find any decent 3D monitor for that price and what you would end up is much worse. So Oculus Rift is not only more immersive and "more 3D", it's also a better deal money wise.
I prefer to work with what's available now. For instance I bought my telly about 2 years ago for £600. Now you can better 3D tellies for half the price, and sure eventually the occulus will come out and be cheaper with whatever pitfalls it has and on the horizon will be something better.

Technology always gets better and always gets cheaper. I remember a PC costing the best part of £2000. Nowadays you can even get a high end Mac for that money and they're more overpriced than a solicitor with a government contract.

Meanwhile I've been enjoying the 3D shower scene in Resident Evil for the best part of 2 years now. And the Occulus Rift isn't going to improve that!

Next year some other gimmick will be the next Ouya or Rasberry Pi, but right now, 3D is still pretty cool.
The issue is that everyone who thinks 3D is a "gimmick" clearly hasn't messed around to see what's actually achievable. These are opinions likely based on movies at the cinema (which although CAN be done reasonably well, such as The Hobbit).

Properly set up 3D gaming renders a whole new world to look into - same thing as Rift but with a limited FOV and no head-tracking. And it's still very immersive; far more than staring at a 2D image. Attached are some JPS screenshots from some games taken with my system (just a hotkey within 3D vision to do that) - anyone who has the ability (Scawen mentioned he can feed them to his TV in SBS mode) should have a look, and if you can see these shots and still tell me "3D is a gimmick" or "3D gaming is a gimmick", then you should probably poke out one eye because depth isn't important to you, or you may have no depth perception to start with.

Note a couple these were taken back when I had 1680x1050 a couple of years ago, the rest are 1920x1080. Not sure how the smaller ones will translate on a 3DTV (Avatar and The Witcher 2). Also excuse the JPEG compression noise, I'm not sure if I can change the compression factor for taking screenshots.

The Metro 2033 shots I really like, they capture the atmosphere of the game pretty well.

Note that these are at maximum depth setting and might be a bit strong. If anyone is interested I could down the depth down to 50% or 25% and take a shot of any of these to compare.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent. ... 106394989/Avatar21_50.jps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent. ... 6394989/batmanac07_50.jps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent. ... 394989/Metro203302_50.jps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent. ... 394989/Metro203304_50.jps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106394989/TESV04_50.jps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106394989/TESV16_50.jps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent. ... 6394989/witcher299_50.jps
Quote from Scawen :Does the monitor have an option for "top and bottom" input? Top and bottom mode outputs all the lines of image that an interleaved monitor should display, just not interleaved. That software you are talking about, I think does too much! I don't know if software is available that can convert a top-and-bottom image into an interleaved image, for display on a passive screen. That is a really simple operation - it would be nice if LFS could do that, but I couldn't find an option to render only to alternate lines. If anyone knows a method, that would be really helpful for the people with passive 3D displays.

I found it! I had the monitor connected via DVI, not HDMI... (my mistake)
If I connected it via HDMI it offered some more menu options - and obviously the required ones for SBS and TAB. It's working now!

Thanks for your support anyway! Keep it up!
Quote from Scawen :Does the monitor have an option for "top and bottom" input? Top and bottom mode outputs all the lines of image that an interleaved monitor should display, just not interleaved. That software you are talking about, I think does too much! I don't know if software is available that can convert a top-and-bottom image into an interleaved image, for display on a passive screen. That is a really simple operation - it would be nice if LFS could do that, but I couldn't find an option to render only to alternate lines. If anyone knows a method, that would be really helpful for the people with passive 3D displays.

This is what I think. I don't really want people to buy a monitor or TV to see this - it's not worth it in my opinion. for those people who have a large 3D TV, it's probably worth moving their computer into the other room to try it out. I really think VR headsets are the real way to have 3D and I think the Oculus Rift consumer version is worth waiting for.

Ok thanks for the advise, i thought £140 for a 3d monitor was cheep, any way ill have to start saving for the Oculus Rift, they look very good.
0.6E4 with Rift
Hey so I just tried this with the Oculus Rift DK, and it works pretty well! Wow!

I had to make it windowed and scaled the screen down a bit to get the images to converge. I'm guessing that the IPD of the rift (or my eyes ) is too narrow for your current settings, such that in full screen, my eyes would have to diverge to get the images to line up. When I used the sliders, I could bring the two images closer, but it wasn't enough (the slider ran out of values before it started to converge. I'm guessing this is to do with the 7" screen (rather than the 5.5" one.)

You can use Oculus Overlay to add in the distortion, but it actually looks OK without it. Problem is when you add in head tracking (via opentrack), without the distortion, you get some funkadelic warping when you look around haha. It's not too bad, and Oculus Overlay has a bit of lag, so I actually prefer it without the overlay.

If you just add in other slider for the offset, introduce the warping (not sure how hard this is) and maybe increase the range of the 3D slider, it would be (more) awesome on the rift.

In the meantime, I will just play windowed and slightly distorted!
Quote from rediske :If I connected it via HDMI it offered some more menu options - and obviously the required ones for SBS and TAB. It's working now!

Pleased you got it working!

Quote from marty-bett :Hey so I just tried this with the Oculus Rift DK, and it works pretty well! Wow!

I had to make it windowed and scaled the screen down a bit to get the images to converge. I'm guessing that the IPD of the rift (or my eyes ) is too narrow for your current settings, such that in full screen, my eyes would have to diverge to get the images to line up. When I used the sliders, I could bring the two images closer, but it wasn't enough (the slider ran out of values before it started to converge. I'm guessing this is to do with the 7" screen (rather than the 5.5" one.)

You can use Oculus Overlay to add in the distortion, but it actually looks OK without it. Problem is when you add in head tracking (via opentrack), without the distortion, you get some funkadelic warping when you look around haha. It's not too bad, and Oculus Overlay has a bit of lag, so I actually prefer it without the overlay.

If you just add in other slider for the offset, introduce the warping (not sure how hard this is) and maybe increase the range of the 3D slider, it would be (more) awesome on the rift.

Thanks for the Oculus Rift report.

Interesting point about the diverging eyes, and that is because the OR requires the centre of the images to be closer together than the centres of the left and right rectangles (because the screen is wider than 2 times interpupillary distance). This should be fixed in the next update because I plan to add a headset / TV selector.

TV mode will also have a "screen width" slider so LFS can avoid eye divergence. The 3D effect slider will then adjust the horizon distance.

In headset mode the 3D slider will move the two images closer together and that should help on the OR if you are using it without the proper distortion.

The only thing I don't get in your description - when you tried to use the 3D adjustment slider (which did not solve the divergence problem) in fact that should have made the problem even worse. Because the current version moves the right eye image more to the right and the left eye one to the left, to give the horizon some depth on a monitor or TV.

I don't know yet about applying distortion - I should try an experiment. As I don't think DX8 has suitable shader capabilities, the only quick solution I can think of is to render the L and R images to an off screen texture, then use that to render the distorted image on the screen. Worth a quick test anyway...
Quote from Scawen :

The only thing I don't get in your description - when you tried to use the 3D adjustment slider (which did not solve the divergence problem) in fact that should have made the problem even worse. Because the current version moves the right eye image more to the right and the left eye one to the left, to give the horizon some depth on a monitor or TV.

You are correct. I realised that was confusing, the slider needed to go more negative.
Reading this, I sorta wish I got a rift now, instead of waiting for produciton version
Hey !
i do not own a 3D TV or a PC with some fancy graphic card (not even HD)
So I'm wondering if i could it working by just buying some glasses , if so then which ones ?
Quote from Daniel199751 :Hey !
i do not own a 3D TV or a PC with some fancy graphic card (not even HD)
So I'm wondering if i could it working by just buying some glasses , if so then which ones ?

For something like that it will require mix of blue/red color or similar glasses. What this does is it 'duplicates' the image so the TV can use it and tranform it into 3D. I'd like though to see something like that. Got a pair of these glasses somewhere in my room.
Hi im a all new player of live for speed.
i searched on youtube for some good record and i found a hack for this new patch. i didnt downloaded it since i dont want to cheat, but it really look like the new patch got ****ed.
I cant even play in any server because every ones speedhacking or crash.

here is the link of the video.

[removed link]
Quote from DarkKostas :For something like that it will require mix of blue/red color or similar glasses. What this does is it 'duplicates' the image so the TV can use it and tranform it into 3D. I'd like though to see something like that. Got a pair of these glasses somewhere in my room.

Yes i got a pair of those glasses too , but since that 3D technology is kinda old i don't think it will be included in the next patches or updates..too bad though , could of been really cool. :3
Quote from prodriver59 :Hi im a all new player of live for speed.
i searched on youtube for some good record and i found a hack for this new patch.

Thanks for the info. I have now uploaded the cheat protection data for 0.6E4
CPW? Because I don't see anything happen yet, online.
Yes, CPW check for E4. What are you expecting to see?
That I get CPW banned when I change one of those values on mentioned addresses (00559EC80, 00559FCC, 0C636798).

I can still drive through objects or have unrealistic acceleration/top speed. I'm using E4.

// maybe that last bit unrealistic acceleration/top speed isn't possible anymore now. Not sure. // edit2; no, still possible
What I would expect is that the CPW check on 0.6E4 is the same as on 0.6E. So any local values that can be hacked in E can still be hacked in E4.

I've just covered the same parts of the program, not added anything new. But until this evening E4 was not protected by that system.
Scawen, this hacks arent protected by CPW or OOS. All variables offsets/types used in this patch are in your mail long time ago Let me know if need to resend them
Quote from cargame.nl :That I get CPW banned when I change one of those values on mentioned addresses (00559EC80, 00559FCC, 0C636798).

I can still drive through objects or have unrealistic acceleration/top speed. I'm using E4.

addresses you mentioned are referenced by pointers which can change...
OK, thanks for the info. Nothing new at this point.
Yes, now I understand as well... Hmm.. Too bad.. Admins, especially demo admins, would be happy if these methods could be history.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks for the info. I have now uploaded the cheat protection data for 0.6E4

Did you updated it already? Is the exe from first page is patched now or it will be patched on another patch?
Just wanna be sure i use the correct exe. Thank
CPW is an online control/check system between client<->server. No .exe is changed/patched in the process.

However, that hack which was quoted is still working. It's quite an obvious one, but there is no "cure".

Quote from cargame.nl :CPW is an online control/check system between client<->server. No .exe is changed/patched in the process.

However, that hack which was quoted is still working. It's quite an obvious one, but there is no "cure".

Ok thanks for the infos
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG