The online racing simulator
Uk traffic law information
(11 posts, started )
Me and a friend of mine are going to attend the Isle of Man TT race next year.

We'll take the ferry from Rotterdam to Hull, and ride our bikes to the port of Liverpool. Where we'll be taking the ferry to Douglas on the Isle of Man.

What I need is a good trusted source for UK traffic law, so I can study up on it to avoid any expensive tickets.
Where can I check some of these laws like speed limits on the various different roads?
Quote from Chrisuu01 :
Where can I check some of these lays(?) like speed limits on the various different roads?

from the road signs?
For speed follow this and you should be good. The speed limit will always be as follows unless there is something telling you of a different speed limit
Look out for speed cameras, if you see this slow down

Also be careful on the motorway, if there are roadworks they usually have a 50 mph limit (normally 70) with average speed cameras checking you through them.
Quote from GAVD999 :Look out for speed cameras, if you see this slow down

Also be careful on the motorway, if there are roadworks they usually have a 50 mph limit (normally 70) with average speed cameras checking you through them.

Are they indicated by a sign saying 50mph speed limit?
Or that speed camera sign?
That sign covers any speed camera,

on the motorway they will usually give a bit more info like this :

#9 - ajp71
Quote from Chrisuu01 :Are they indicated by a sign saying 50mph speed limit?
Or that speed camera sign?

There will always be a speed limit sign displayed to tell you what the limit is. The speed camera symbol just means there are speed cameras about, if you see the sign on a road without any other speed limit signs then the national speed limit (60mph single carriageway, 70mph dual carriageway) applies.

On some motorways we have variable speed limits, these are shown on overhead gantries and are strictly enforced with cameras on the gantries.

Note only numbers with a red ring around them are a legal speed limit (see picture, they can have black background white text on digital signs). You will also see orange displays with no ring on the motorway, which are advisory only and also sometimes you'll see signs warning of a bend with 'Max speed xxmph' in text underneath, again you don't have to follow those. Road works will normally have temporary signs and you should follow these.

To be honest speed limits in Britain are generally a bit faster than you'll find in the Netherlands and although we moan about them it is much harder to be caught by our speed cameras as they are mostly well signposted and painted fluorescent yellow. Just be careful if the speed limit feels too slow for the road it usually means it will have speed cameras on it!

Things to really avoid in the UK are using your mobile phone and drink driving, our limit may be the highest in Europe but it is taken very seriously.
Just one note on speed cameras.

Most of our cameras are placed just after a change in pitch/elevation on the road: ie: just after the crest of a hill or after the base of one.

Elevation changes on the road tend to result in drivers having to adjust their throttle/speed - and for a long time the police who placed the cameras where paid directly out of the fines and they realised that putting cameras where drivers are momentarily in a period of speed adjustment could earn them more money.

The police are no longer paid directly from the fines, but many of the cameras are still positioned at those places.
Basic rules.

Residential (Identified by streetlights) : 30mph
Single Carriageway : 60mph
Dual Carriageway/Motorway : 70mph

If there are any differences to these speeds they will be signposted.

Police usually don't bother people until they are doing 85 on the motorway, but speed cameras may pick you up. Watch out for average speed camera's. You have a set amount of time to get from one camera to another. If you arrive at the second set of camera's sooner than you are supposed to you might as well smile cause they are going to take your picture.

ajp71 and Becky provide some good info too!

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG