The online racing simulator
2013 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix
(50 posts, started )
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Still a better love story than watching poor Ricciardo kicking Vettel's ass.

fixed it for ya
Quote from Ziomek21 :fixed it for ya

Would be nice to see that indeed, but let's stay realistic.
Shame. If the driver of the other Red Bull was quicker he might have won it. Really hard for the team to help Mark when he's just got good enough. He's quick, but can't look manage tyres/fuel at the same time.

Hoped Grosjean would win, but Lotus simply isn't there yet.
If he'd gotten by Grosjean as soon as he caught him, Mark might have had an (outside) chance. RB just isn't fast enough in a straight line, though.
Except that at Suzuka the Red Bull was one of the quickest in the speed traps if I remember correctly.
Hoped Lotus would win, but Grosjean simply isn't there yet

It's a shame, Lotus built such a great car again, but they don't have a Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg or Hamilton to finish the job.
Quote from Cornys :Well, it'll probably be kind of boring, but I'm going to split up my night of sleep to watch it live... If it's interesting enough to keep me awake :P

I actually slept through my alarm and just watched the race off of the DVR. Pretty good race
#33 - aoun
Quote from tristancliffe :Except that at Suzuka the Red Bull was one of the quickest in the speed traps if I remember correctly.

As long as the driver can put his foot down correctly, then yes.
Quote from ChristijaNL :Hoped Lotus would win, but Grosjean simply isn't there yet

It's a shame, Lotus built such a great car again, but they don't have a Alonso, Vettel, Rosberg or Hamilton to finish the job.

I Reckon its very possible that Grosjean could be faster or even getting to that stage, i mean gapping kimi by nearly a a full min, almost the same story at korea.

The car was similar pace to the bulls but he lacked a.team mate to push redbull into strategies, instead redbul forced lotus hand.
I think it's a simple case of Vettel making teh 2 stop work by driving slowly for the first stint and a bit. Webber had the more difficult of the two strategies but got borked by Grosjean at the start. Grosjean probably cost Webber the race overall, and not just because of the final stint. If Webber could've ran teh whole race in clear air he would've been able to make the gap he'd have needed to come out ahead. Even with 3 stops.
Quote from BlueFlame :I think it's a simple case of Vettel making teh 2 stop work by driving slowly for the first stint and a bit. Webber had the more difficult of the two strategies but got borked by Grosjean at the start. Grosjean probably cost Webber the race overall, and not just because of the final stint. If Webber could've ran teh whole race in clear air he would've been able to make the gap he'd have needed to come out ahead. Even with 3 stops.

Exactly, Webber lost the race when his tyres went off early in the first stint and was forced to pit.

However the team could of told him to back off right away and a 3 stopper could of worked if he pitted right behind grosjean and pass on the undercut.
It's a shame that Vetl still won, and that Gro couldn't quite pull it off Great result for Gutierrez, though.
Quote from ChristijaNL :
Hoped Lotus would win, but Grosjean simply isn't there yet

It's highly unlikely that the Lotus is at the same level as the RBR. Sure you can hypothesise that Grosjean is no good, but Kimi probably is. The RBR has such performance advantage in hand that it can look after its tyres like no other car- surely that is irrefutable.
It's good to see Grosjean showing his talent and the maturity to compete for the entire race at the same time.

Anyway it was a much better race thanks to Grosjean's great start, but the championship is done. Alonso wouldn't win each race even if Vettel crashes into Webber at the start each time.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :RB just isn't fast enough in a straight line, though.

I may be wrong, but I think Webber's DRS wasn't working. Or was the DRS disabled?
Quote from Speed Senna :I may be wrong, but I think Webber's DRS wasn't working. Or was the DRS disabled?

he opened drs, but just didn't had the top speed
Word is, Webber had a higher-downforce setup than Vettel, too.
Quote from tristancliffe :Except that at Suzuka the Red Bull was one of the quickest in the speed traps if I remember correctly.

You're right... Grosjean's best speed trap time was more than 10kph slower than Webber's. No idea how he couldn't get past him with DRS.

(Worth mentioning that the speed trap was AFTER 130R, though.)
#43 - CSF
He did for his 2nd lap. Anyway KERS affects how fast you get to your top speed rather than what your top speed is I'd guess. It would affect top speed, but not enough to say Vettels top speed was significantly higher
Quote from IsaacPrice :He did for his 2nd lap. Anyway KERS affects how fast you get to your top speed rather than what your top speed is I'd guess. It would affect top speed, but not enough to say Vettels top speed was significantly higher

No, he didn't. Horner confirmed it, the BBC side-by-side qualifying lap comparison confirmed it, then according to "Ted's Notebook" from Sky confirmed it too.

There is no point why he should lose time in the second sector where most of the KERS is used. Especially when he is dominant to him during the whole weekend in case Vettel's KERS worked.
Quote from Cornys :I actually slept through my alarm and just watched the race off of the DVR. Pretty good race

what channel was it on? I couldn't find it
I watched the sky qualifying coverage, they said he had it back for the 2nd qualifying lap as it happened. I also read the same thing on autosport hense why I believed what I did but like you say Ted's notebook pretty much clarified that they thought he'd get it back by doing something, but it didn't work in the end.

However, I wasn't trying to claim that it didn't cost him laptime, even if it failed on his first lap only, it would have disrupted his rhythm. My claim was simply that it wouldnt have affected his speed trap stats significantly.
Next time I'll make it clearer by only quoting the important bit for my response. The other part - that KERS doesn't effect absolute top speed - is clear as combination of downforce settings and gear ratio.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG