The online racing simulator
Please Don't Hate: Engine Sim/Drift idea
What do people hate about LFS?

What do people like about rFactor, etc?

LFS is not open source

LFS will never be open source?

Why not half open LFS, similar to "LiteSpeed WebServer" recent action

Now before you flame to hell post, etc (I'm not reading replies, this I discussed with new LFS'ers I got into it recently, old ones of years, etc)

You NEED LFS license, there will be diff website, etc (Helped by LFS creators maybe)

In this new "game" sim, we get the fallowing

Ability to use custom models, car engine tunes, sounds, etc and all parties hear what "yours" sounds like, feels like, etc.

with as LITTLE changes to the LFS engine/program/libs, to do this.

The goal is not to be "Racing Simulator" but "Engine Testing/Drift/Race" with the bonus that why don't "we" test the new physics, etc that LFS is always waiting on- so then it's widely used, known to work, etc.

hell ALL major LFS patch's, if this version fallowed closely coding/program wise, could be pushed through this sub-version, before LFS. Thus eliminating the beta testing on LFS/diff server versions.

The main goal is to let people "tweak" separately from LFS, and nicer.

In the end it'll bring LiveForSpeed more license buyers, players (People would play both, if this one doesn't focus on all the LFS tracks, etc- maybe just the new track to give it attention (the sub sim- remember it'd require LFS license to "play") and the new physics too would draw tons of attention. Then when LFS releases with their new tracks/cars/physics in half life terms of coming out- people will enjoy LiveForSpeed RACING on those tracks with lfsworld stats, etc....and maybe by then the dev's will settle on a "fair" world based engine modified setup.

I don't see why we can't setup engine bases, and make people able to choose those based on server settings. I've used LFS since 04/05 as demo, and to this day I love it as an adult who builds race cars and drives fast cars- however limiting us to the same cars, tracks- it's been a god send being able to change the engine values.

This is all purely my opinion, I don't want to do the above- it's just an opinion, suggestion, idea. My idea focuses on keeping LFS alive, I've installed rFactor, got a refund- it blew. LFS is great, I'll enjoy being on more empty servers with cool folk who race/drift and modify their engines. I rarely get that "tweak" lag, and it's nothing that can't be ironed out

Edit: tried to make it neater but it's just a broad idea- all the long time LFS'ers (Diff replies then new folk) said "This would be so hard to get done though" it would. We would need the LFS dev team, they should do it maybe- I love LFS for the siming of racing, but theres also the door to engine and such is maybe a TL;DR to my post.
No
No way...

abismal idea.
eeeenope
yes
#6 - col
Quote from cmanns :Now before you flame to hell post, etc (I'm not reading replies...

If you're not intending to read replies, don't post.

As far as your 'idea' goes:
Anyone can start an Open-source project. If it was such a great way of developing racing simulations, there would be awesome open-source sims out there, and closed development projects like LFS and iRacing would be long gone.
The fact is that this has not happened proves that open-source is not a good way to develop racing sims. If you don't agree, why are you here? why are you not working on and playing with an open-source racing sim right now?
I like being able to reply without bumping
Quote from cmanns :What do people hate about LFS?
Ability to use custom models, car engine tunes, sounds, etc and all parties hear what "yours" sounds like, feels like, etc.
with as LITTLE changes to the LFS engine/program/libs, to do this.

TF2 is a good model to go on. Well, it's good when you have people to build a front-end for submitting and browsing content, build the back-end integration with your game, build the payment system, take care of the legal stuff, curate the content to ensure quality and copyright safety, balance the content for the game and a bunch of other stuff I haven't thought of.

There are a ton of reasons why I think that the TF2 way of including community generated content is the best way, but it doesn't seem feasible for LFS.

I don't know how rTractor 2 is dealing with community generated content, but the original rTractor sucked at it. What other sims have developer supported modding features? I'm not talking skins, either.

Quote from cmanns :
why don't "we" test the new physics...
...hell ALL major LFS patch's, if this version followed closely coding/program wise, could be pushed through this sub-version, before LFS. Thus eliminating the beta testing on LFS/diff server versions.

The stuff you're talking about seems like a lot of work. Why does there need to be another version?

Quote from cmanns :
The main goal is to let people "tweak" separately from LFS, and nicer.

We already tweak using a separate program, and it is very nice.

Quote from cmanns :
some more business

You're reaching with the "keeping LFS alive" bidness.
I get the impression that you want LFS and Automation to be combined, and generally let you do whatever you want. I'm right there with you.

Let's just hope for some new and exciting cars.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG