The online racing simulator
Best entry level DSLR/Bridge camera?
(Not sure if here is the right section but I suppose its 'other hardware' and I think offtopic is cluttered enough xD)
Soo.. I'm sure theres a few photographers around here somewhere so I'll ask

I'm looking to get into photography at a slightly more amateur level with a cheapish DSLR/Bridge camera, rather than just plain old 8MP smartphone camera with average quality lenses that don't really take good enough pictures to write home about.. Unless its a Nokia which are a little better with the Carl Zeiss lenses but I'd like a dedicated digital camera to carry around on my many ventures out walking the lovely Scottish wilderness haha

Basically just looking for some info, recommendations for a camera round the £150 mark that takes pretty decent pictures for that price range.
I've seen the likes of the Fujifilm S2800/S2900... Nikon L310... Canon 1000D etc.. but then I'm sure they all have their good and bad points for that price.
Not too worried about video capture resolution or quality.. Just raw image clarity in outdoor, bright, dull, rainy conditions. Mostly be used around a lot of greenery/grass... greys/rocks/hills... landscape... beaches.

I've used DSLR's before so it doesn't have to be something that my granny could use without problem, just don't have all that cash to throw at a decent one with lenses and all that good stuff lol.. And well I'm not exactly an expert so no point jumping in the deep end with a pro level DSLR.. Though I'd probably learn faster if I could afford it lol..

Anyways, Suggestions.. Tips.. Whatever.. All welcome
£150 isn't the price range for new dslr's.
You should get a Canon 450D with a 18-55mm kit lens for that money.
It doesen't shoot video, but the picture quality is pretty good.

I bought a 450D for 200€ like half a year ago, that had only 10k pictures taken with it, and was like new.
I can't comment on Nikon or Pentax cameras, I have no experience with those.
#3 - PoVo
I am actually in the same position myself.

Saw a nice kit for sale : "Canon EOS 1100D Kit - with 18-55mm Lens, Tripod, SLR Bag & 8GB SD Card" for €445. Seems like a good deal for me.

You should maybe check it out if there's something similar around where you live.

Although I'm not sure if the camera is any good.
You're pretty much going to be looking at used cameras with that kind of budget. I'd focus on getting a somewhat decent used body (400D or 450D) and try to find a good value used lens for it. You can take pretty nice photos even with a cheap body, as long as your lens is decent. Kit lens can get you started, but it's mostly good for being a paperweight.
#5 - Jakg
£150 gets you a Nikon D40 & kit lens on eBay if you look around for a bit.
I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just something fairly decent to start off with.
Around £120.. Fujifilm S4200, Nikon L310, Samsung WB101
I can get a WB101 for £80 brand new unused..

Or with a bit luck a 450D kit for around £220-250.. Need to save a bit more but probably worth it compared to the other cameras.
Looking at english ebay and damn, 450d's cost a lot there.
Mine cost 190€, had 2 batteries, charger, kit lens, 2gb card, neck strap, and had done only like 10k pictures.
If you can't get a 450d for a decent price, you can check 400d, not that big difference.
Any reviews on the Fujifilm S4200?

I can get one for £75 + £5 P&P on eBay.. it was bought in Feb2013 from PC World. Says he took <10 pics then put back in the box. Still under warranty for 4 months as it includes the original receipt from the shop

I've been looking at reviews and images taken with the camera and for its price it seems quite impressive

Any reviews? Before I snap it up before its gone lol xD
Quote from Matrixi :Kit lens can get you started, but it's mostly good for being a paperweight.

Pretty much, as soon as I bought a 24-105+100-400mm that 18-55 has been sitting in the bag for my 24-105 ever since

I started my DSLR journey with a 60D. Works ok for motorsports, though a bit slow at times, and now I want a 5D mk III :\
Yeah, I'd love a full frame too, but they are way out of my price range. If motorsports is all you shoot, then you might want to look in to a 7D, it's a crop sensor but great at shooting fast moving objects. I spent some four years on a 300D with kit lens and another three years on 400D with kit lens. I guess the kits have gotten a bit better now that they atleast have IS on them and slightly improved optics, but the difference to a kit lens when I got the 18-135mm STM for my 650D was... significant to say the least.

To avoid going completely offtopic, I'd advise the OP to stick with either a Canon or Nikon. They're easily the most popular ones out there, and that means cheaper used lenses so you can actually make the most use of the body.
Got the S4200 for £60 still in warranty and taken <10 pics
I'll save some cash and get a decent DSLR once I've gotten used this camera.

No point jumping straight into a DSLR from a smartphone and not knowing how to use it to its full potential lol.. I'll use this camera and get used to it, some decent pics etc then go for a better one in 6 months to a year
http://s969.photobucket.com/us ... y/S4200?sort=2&page=1
A few images taken with my S4200.. Not exactly the best weather or light but the pictures taken aren't that bad

24x zoom is quite impressive too, can be seen on the small PILOTS boat a few images in, The picture of the wall you can see how far the boat is away, then zoomed you can clearly see the name, flag and cabin

Wall Shot, No Zoom..
http://s969.photobucket.com/us ... 0.jpg.html?sort=2&o=9

Same position, full 24x zoom..
http://s969.photobucket.com/us ... .jpg.html?sort=2&o=11
Just realised your location says Kirkcaldy and that the pictures were taken down the prom! Keep walking past Seafield, through Kinghorn and you'd get to me in Burntisland
haha, yeah was a little cold today to get as far as Kinghorn lol. Got as far as the Seafield Tower and turned back xD
I just happened to have the camera at around 10pm as I was walking home.. So I decided to give it a quick little night shot

What's a better upgrade...

8MP Canon 350D with 18-55mm kit lens for £100
or
11MP Fujifilm S100FS with fixed 28-400mm for ~£140

The zoom isn't that important, just the best image quality + a decent amount of zoom, going from 700 to 55 seems a bit much as I did use the zoom on the s4200..

or any DSLR under £200 with a lens?
I have a Canon 30D + kit 18-55 + Tamron 28-300 lying about here not being used, though would want a little bit more than £200
Managed to pick up a S100FS for £75 perfect condition with all accessories, hood, remote trigger and 2 batteries
I'll get used to manual zoom and focus with this for a few months. Probably go for a DSLR with a nice lens closer to Christmas time

Photo taken with the S100FS in RAW, Converted to TIFF and uploaded to DeviantArt.
Full 11MP Resolution Image Here: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs7 ... by_davidtiger-d6l8y8z.jpg
It was raining outside so I thought I'd play around with some water

Best entry level DSLR/Bridge camera?
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG