The online racing simulator
Racing Legends
(39 posts, started )
^^ I see a Gold Leaf Lotus transporter?
yeah i remember seeing those sweet screenshots and then never hearing anything about the game for years...
Yes, ajp71. It's owned by one of the drivers in the GP Masters.
Quote from Hoellsen :Yes, ajp71. It's owned by one of the drivers in the GP Masters.

What's the relevance to RL? I seem to remember they were making loads of renders of the Gold Leaf transporter but they don't have anything to do with it IRL do they?
No, they don't. I was making fun of their merchandise production years before they actually have a product in their hands and of their constant progress reports of things that might be a nice gimmick in an otherwise perfect simulation.

In reality I am quite surprise that people actually do think this software will ever see the light. The Wests have by now quite an impressive record of boasting and not producing (WSC anyone?).
That merchandise is fake anyways Hoellsen It's all photoshopped.
Fits right in with the rest of their "content".
WSC was canned by the publisher after a large marketing staff change (bunch of non-simmer PS2 type guys came in and thought it was too hard and wanted them to dumb it down, among other things that violated the original agreement that they refused to do). Not Chris and Tony's fault at all. There are tons and tons of videos and pictures of it out there. Just because it never hit the store shelves doesn't mean they didn't make something

And yes, RL is very much still in development and kicking.
Quote :WSC was canned by the publisher after a large marketing staff change

I guess that's the way the Wests like to tell the story. But after announcing the game in 98, showing vids in 99 and increasing development time due to ever outrageous feature ideas by the Wests, the publisher simply pulled the plug before they got mugged in by the same problem RL has now: it will never be finished. I know there was something there for WSC. I still have the vids somewhere, but it's not enough to make a few renders or videos, you at some point need to present contents to customers.
There was a Dr. of physics (or math or something) that joined the two devs some time after the game was already being delayed. Quite a while after the WSC split.
What would that guy benefit from taking part in development of vaporware, and what would the brothers gain from anouncing it, if it was a lie?

The most likely case is still that they are simply taking no chances, the same way Scavier and DNF's devs are, to release what they've promised.
You can't deny a sim encompassing all they've promised would be done quick.. It's probably at least as much as LFS will take in total, and we know how long that is.
Yeah, that's Dr. Gregor Veble, Ph.D in physics (chaos theory, specifically). We talk a lot about tire modelling and so on. Spent a fun weekend in Vienna with his girlfriend and him earlier this year.

http://www.performancesimulations.com/files/IMG_0451.jpg

That's Gregor on your left and yours truly on the right

But yes, they're still working very hard on it. Promise
Quote from Hoellsen :I guess that's the way the Wests like to tell the story. But after announcing the game in 98, showing vids in 99 and increasing development time due to ever outrageous feature ideas by the Wests, the publisher simply pulled the plug before they got mugged in by the same problem RL has now: it will never be finished. I know there was something there for WSC. I still have the vids somewhere, but it's not enough to make a few renders or videos, you at some point need to present contents to customers.

I think you missed the point entirely. I don't know if you've ever developed a commercial game yourself (I have), but if you're just about to finish the thing and then the publisher pulls the plug, you can not possibly release it. How on God's green earth is that Chris and Tony's fault? They weren't self publishing it. Empire was in charge, not them. That's a completely different scenario from RL. Don't for a second pretend you have any clue why it got yanked (feature creep?? Sorry, you're wrong). That's ignorance of the highest order.

Anyway, this doesn't look like they didn't have nothing going to me:

http://www.west-racing.net/newgallery/main.php
http://www.west-racing.net/new ... owItem&g2_itemId=4688

Careful not to judge without having the full story. I've worked with Tony for a couple of years now on VRC, had dinner with the both of them, spent a weekend with Gregor, and chat with all three of the guys on a daily basis. I know a bit about what really happened there and why. No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about on this one

I've got the RL physics engine right here on my hard drive. I know it exists.
The last reply I've ever had from one of the West brothers was about a year and a half ago, and the main point he made was that RL couldn't run on today's era of systems because it required two high performance workstation PCs or something :rolleyes:

If they are holding off because of that, well then that's a shame.
There was mention of it being used for safety/learning certification simulators, so it wouldn't be surprising.
Looking at the 3dfx sponsoring, from the corner of the eye it looked like the white and red McLaren was numbered 404

Racing Legends
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG