The online racing simulator
Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
Qualified 145th regionally with a 2:18.8 using the weird brake-steer technique. Honestly I don't think the steering ratio is linear, considering it was possible to get round the entire track without steering more than 5°. It bugs me sooo much that they still haven't fixed it.
Quote from BlueFlame :I think IMOL did, not sure though.

No, he is 9th and only 4 drivers from online competition pass...

Quote from Kid222 :I tried to qualify, but i've hit my limit on second day with 19,4. Couldn't get any better after that, but 19th in national standings doesn't sound too bad.

Hey Kid, you just didn't practice enough
Jesse did as far as i know
i ended up 14th with 19.2 or something. it could have been much better, but i had no time for practice.
i even borrowed ps3 from my friend only for this competition
i failed, but at least i could finally try GT. and i came to the conclution that it is really good game.....but lfs is better
LFS feels just as bad as GT 5...
This is more of a general GT post than about GT Academy

The feedback from the wheel always goes numb when the car yaws too much in GT 5 and GT Academy, generally noticeable while in a "tank slapper" or while drifting. Well, I finally found out why and it has nothing to do with the GT Simulation! (If this is already widely known please let me know)

Usually in LFS or any other PC sim, the simulation dictates the force feedback. For those whom use Logitech wheels there is an added steering effect, "centering spring" which forces the wheel to center. While messing around with the Logitech Profiler I wanted to see what centering spring force felt like. I moved the slider to 100% and started LFS, particularly to try drifting. Imediatly LFS felt just as bad as GT 5. The force feedback would just dissipate as the car yawed more until there was no feedback at all.

What happened in LFS is exactly what happens in Gran Turismo. I speculate that the feedback force starts to equalize with the centering spring force causing a net 0 force out of the electric motors. Try it for your self.

BTW: LFS feels much better while straight line driving with centering spring force on. Just need to find the medium where it is not too strong that it cancels out the force feedback.
Quote from legoflamb :...
BTW: LFS feels much better while straight line driving with centering spring force on. Just need to find the medium where it is not too strong that it cancels out the force feedback.

Increase the caster then.
So pd added the "kaz gtr" into the academy demo and you can drive the silverstone in it. And they also added forza steering (or iracing unlinear steering) into that. My GOD of deers and cows and all things with horns the steering is absolutely shit in that car! Basically going into turn and getting out of turns it is impossible to tell how much steering I need. It reminds me so much about the riley in racing when it came out and I took days to get the steering adjusted to bearable in that thing. And now they bring that trash into gt... So massively disappointed.

If this car is a sign of things to come in regards to gt6 I won't ever never buy it. It completely ruins the car.
If I recall correctly they had it in every GT up to date, horrible thing if you ask me.
I heard the steering is linear if you play with steering wheel but I dont have place to screw it (my tv is in living room, I dont want to readjust living room only so I can play GT with steering wheel or buy one of those stands.)
No, the kaz gtr is really really bad. I don't think gran turismos have had that unlinear steering before. In gt5 the formula cars have odd steering (or the odd steering is more easier to spot in those cars) but other cars are fine and feel very linear. There could be little unlinearity of course as it is very hard to tell if the steering is linear or almost linear but basically this much unlinearity makes the car undrivable for me. The unlinearity is mainly what killed forza 4 for me (plus the sucky online system) and gt5 was always fine for me and I never really noticed any unlinearity (apart the formula cars).
try playing LFS with a 360 controller and you can see why the steering is not linear when using a pad. Imagine going full lock in less than a tenth of a second at 150MPH. You can't do it in a real car, are you asking for that feature in GT6?
Quote from flymike91 :try playing LFS with a 360 controller and you can see why the steering is not linear when using a pad. Imagine going full lock in less than a tenth of a second at 150MPH. You can't do it in a real car, are you asking for that feature in GT6?

Quite the opposite actually. Forza applied non-linear steering even to linear input devices like Wheels. GT6 has also now applied non-linear steering to wheels.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :GT6 has also now applied non-linear steering to wheels.

Thats impossible, I think you need to check your aids or something (meant in game, not blood tests :razz
I mean come on, that would totally defeat the purpose of actually using a wheel.
I haven't tried it.. I was just interpreting what Hyperactive said as flymike got it absolutely wrong.
Quote from flymike91 :try playing LFS with a 360 controller and you can see why the steering is not linear when using a pad. Imagine going full lock in less than a tenth of a second at 150MPH. You can't do it in a real car, are you asking for that feature in GT6?

You don't even begin to understand what here is the topic. Do you even understand what steering ratio means? Do you understand that steering lock can be linear or nonlinear and it can also be adjustable in sensitivety by ratio and speed? By reading what you wrote you need to do some learning because no one here is talking about pads.
Quote from Hyperactive :You don't even begin to understand what here is the topic. Do you even understand what steering ratio means? Do you understand that steering lock can be linear or nonlinear and it can also be adjustable in sensitivety by ratio and speed? By reading what you wrote you need to do some learning because no one here is talking about pads.

If you really want to see him excel at comprehension, try asking him about politics.
dawesdust on politics:

Quote :It's ok baby doll. You're smart enough to be my big bimbo babe.

Well, by the sounds of it.. that's what most US politicians are really good at saying. So I suppose I'm quite apt even though you are quoting me out of context.
If anything you said was in context you would be more quotable
Quote from Keling :Increase the caster then.

Not all cars have adjustable caster, also that will really mess with the tire contact patch.
Quote from legoflamb :Not all cars have adjustable caster, also that will really mess with the tire contact patch.

In that case, there are two things to blame:

The car in the virtual world has too little caster.

Your wheel in the physical world has too little feedback torque.

It's not appropriate to blame LFS for low FFB force if it's technically correct.
Air Jordan car?
Earlier versions of GT had the "Nike One" which was a prototype car. It looks like they're continuing this.
does this mean we can play basketball with the cars?
about as close you'll get to a free roam "track" in GT6

Even those roads in the background look driveable

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG