The online racing simulator
ip question
(19 posts, started )
#1 - o2k
ip question
Hi, I WANT to buy a license, and i want to know if only i have to install on hdd , and thats all . I have a dinamic ip connection an i want to know if is that a problem or not... 'cause my ip is changing every day almost...

thanxs for the answer .

#2 - joen
Hi, welcome. That will be no problem. The first time you install LFS you unlock it online and that's all there is to it.
I also have a dynamic IP and I can assure you, that this is not a problem.
I highly doubt your router has a dynamic IP adress.
#5 - Jakg
Quote from wheel4hummer :I highly doubt your router has a dynamic IP adress.

i think he means ISP, which is quite common...
Quote from Jakg :i think he means ISP, which is quite common...

An ISP must really hate their customers to make their IP adresses dynamic.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from wheel4hummer :An ISP must really hate their customers to make their IP adresses dynamic.

only so that they can sell business static ones for £7 from BT!
#8 - o2k
yes , i have a router on my home and my isp has dinamic ip ... nothing to do... all isps are same around here...
Most ISP's will give you a static IP if you request one. Just tell them you want to run a server and a static would be better or something.

But it depends on what you want, having a static or a dynamic IP has it's pro's and con's.
Quote from wheel4hummer :An ISP must really hate their customers to make their IP adresses dynamic.

Or they are simply dealing with IPV4 addressing space depletion as discussed in RFC1744.

No hate involved.
#11 - shim
if you can connect to a demo server, then you can unlock S2 with your net connection

There are sometimes small ISP`s providing internet over WI-FI connection so they have small range of public IP adresses. They connect all customers on dynamic IP way or provide just internall adress starting usually with 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.

And based on your other posts already you seems to be not a quite friendly man.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=10724
Dont start a little flame war here devil
Personal things should be discussed by PM anyways.

He has indeed said some silly crap in that other thread, but no need to post this here.
"The cleverer give in"
Quote from kurent :Most ISP's will give you a static IP if you request one. Just tell them you want to run a server and a static would be better or something.

But it depends on what you want, having a static or a dynamic IP has it's pro's and con's.

My ISP, I have had the same IP for close to 4 years (It is dynamic, just not that often) and if I told them I wanted a static IP to run a server, They'd go "Thats a violation of our TOS, running servers, we are gonna terminate your account if you don't upgrade to package x" which is fine becuase I'm already violating the TOS with my massive amounts of DL's...

ISP's = Bunch of freaking scammers.
Running a server a violation of the TOS??? illepall

Check the papers. By the way is that the only ISP you can have in your area?
#16 - Jakg
Quote from kurent :Running a server a violation of the TOS??? illepall

Check the papers. By the way is that the only ISP you can have in your area?

is what most round here do, although i would like to see them define server as me sending a file or uploading a pic could make me a server
It is, and the other ISP around here sucks massively (maximum 2 computers, routers not allowed(don't work), bunch of other utter bullshit). They don't mind minor servers, I think their main scope is for Website hosts and such.
Technically speaking there is no way to define exactly a server since the word - without specifying exactly the context or restricting it to a specific kind of server - has hundreds or thousands of meanings.
By the way, there's no need to have a static ip address to host an LFS dedicated server since the LFS master server keeps track of the IP addresses of the various LFS servers and feeds them to the connecting clients, so dynamic addresses are fine. The problems may arise somewhere else: limited and unreliable connections and bandwidth, higher ping times, no backup connections or machines. If you want to test the server software, fine, there's nothing preventing it provided the needed TCP and UDP ports are reachable from the clients, but if you think about constantly hosting a server on your domestic connection you may soon find that in most cases a professional and reliable hosting has lots of advantages that won't limit your freedom, differently from a server hosted on a computer at home.

ip question
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG