The online racing simulator
sampled/synthesized skid sounds
(26 posts, started )
sampled/synthesized skid sounds
I wonder if skid sounds could be synthesized or just modified samples according to relative wheelspin. Which will give more information about wheelspin... and there will be no annoying one sample sound in sand/gravel.
I agree that skid sounds need improvement. Currently, tire noise is remarkably absent, you actually sense wheelspin and drifts through visual means only (car movements) and steering response.
hey, you could also have no damage model cos once off the racing line you have no interest in simulating that, but... you have.
Compared to GTL/GTR2/rFactor which all has the same annoying sounding tire noise (sounds like some elephant) the tire noise in LFS is amazing.
Quote from Jamexing :I agree that skid sounds need improvement. Currently, tire noise is remarkably absent, you actually sense wheelspin and drifts through visual means only (car movements) and steering response.

Sliding in a car is not always noticeable at first instance by a skid sound... I don't know why people think that. The moment a car's rearend starts to yaw slightly, there is only a scrub sound which is barely heard. That is the time where in a real car the g-forces are felt through your body when in a real car. LFS does its best to recreate this, and the moment the skid noises actually happen are under extreme cases, like the real thing. If you had a car setup in LFS with some snappy oversteer, you know how stupid it would sound if it constantly made a skid noise for even the slightest of slides??? :zombie: Maybe your skid noise is turned down if you think it is absent, but I hear it just fine.

Persronally I think the skid sounds and actual excessive-markings need improvement for quality and have different types depending on the compound. I mean the BF1 sounds absolutely ridiculous with road tire scrub noises. And vice versa for some other cars.
In reality, tire skid noises vary WIDELY among different specific tires. A good example is the BF Goodrich KDW, which has very obvious skid noise with very small drift angles. As for slick style race tires, it's no surprise that they don't sound much. Slicks have the best tread stability due to their "giant single chunk of rubber" design. None of the tread squirm of treaded tires.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to make us feel the gs like in RL. IRL, we gain a lot of feedback through seat of pants sensations. This is obviously impossible in LFS. The best we have is to add a finite amount of driver lean to help sense the gs.
You're talking about drifting, which is in any case, exteme amounts of lost grip and/or actual sliding.

If you think the sound is non existant for mere slides and oversteer issues, that is perfectly normal. If a car in LFS were to just be constantly chirping and squeeking from typical swaying with minor amounts of grip, that would be the strangest thing to be heard ever from a car game. So adding a more 'sensitive' squeel sound wouldn't be helpful at all to knowing when your car slides, because 99.9% of the time, such minute slides are recoverable by pure driving nature and instincts, even if you don't feel G-forces.
Quote from Tweaker :You're talking about drifting, which is in any case, exteme amounts of lost grip and/or actual sliding.

If you think the sound is non existant for mere slides and oversteer issues, that is perfectly normal. If a car in LFS were to just be constantly chirping and squeeking from typical swaying with minor amounts of grip, that would be the strangest thing to be heard ever from a car game. So adding a more 'sensitive' squeel sound wouldn't be helpful at all to knowing when your car slides, because 99.9% of the time, such minute slides are recoverable by pure driving nature and instincts, even if you don't feel G-forces.

It is unfortunate that whenever I mention drift angle, some people think of the japanese tire smoking sideways melarchy. It is unfortunate that some people still believe that cars don't drift at all whilst serious race driving. IRL, tires generate maximum grip whilst drifting at slight angles. The ability to sustain this minute drift seperates the Micheal Schumachers from the average pro racer. And I'm just metioning facts. LFS is good, but there is still no substitute for RL feedback. And yes, I observed a surprsing lack of tire noise whilst sliding completely sideways in a RB4 for 50 meters. Amazing.
Sliding completely sideways in the RB4 and no tire noise? Quite surprising, because I'd like to see evidence of that. Otherwise this debate will be over something irrelevant -- defining what drifting is, compared to typical oversteer whilst racing and the fact that people expect noise from the slightest of slides. If you aren't talking about the small movements which are completely natural in everyday racing, and talking about some completely sideways driving, then it is best to maybe give an example. If any skid sound is absent in LFS during times that it should be evident, I'd like to see/hear.
one remark> in a real racing car you dont hear any tyre noise...
Jamexing - you are confusing your words - drift angle is to do with drifting, and drifting only. The word you are looking for is SLIP angle, which tyres (and the car as a whole) must have to generate cornering force.
thats not a race car
can only barely hear the engine hehe :P
I 100% agree with Tweaker on this one. There could possibly be some minor refinements made, but as for the major things LFS has it right as it is. There could be some compensation for different tires and so forth but as for the general behaviour it's very accurate as it is. Unloaded tires don't make much noise, which is generally true IRL as well.

This has been discussed at length before as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the optimal tire slippage in LFS heard in that humming scrub sound, right before the actual skidding screech?
Quote from Breizh :Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the optimal tire slippage in LFS heard in that humming scrub sound, right before the actual skidding screech?

judging by forces view i would say - yes, it is.
Quote from Jamexing :And yes, I observed a surprsing lack of tire noise whilst sliding completely sideways in a RB4 for 50 meters.

i think we, at least i will need .spr for that. if it was less than 50m that could be scrubbing, but but with one zero deleted.

and back to my first post, , i was thinking about some kind of modification, i.e.modulation of sample according to wheelspin to make it more live and less digital.
Well, at least the scrubbing noise whilst at optimum slip is brilliant. The real problem is when drift angles get extreme(>optimum). I'm not saying there's no noise. I'm saying that it's surpisingly soft and mild, none of the sceech that one would hear with RL treaded tires.

And as I've said before, race slicks are surprisingly screech free due to their monoblock nature (one giant tread block), which guarantees maximum contact patch stability and thus relative lack of vibration from grip slip cycles. When they do let go, they tend to do so suddenly with minimal noise again due to the nature of their contact patches.
In my experience, there's a pretty wide variety of street tire sounds and loudness, IRL.
True, sounds do vary widely as a result of tire construction, tread pattern, tread compound, etc. But those tires simulated in LFS are either normal sport tires for "normals"(high performance summer) or summer only ultra high performance, max performance or extreme summer tires, represneted by road supres. Not your average and DANGEROUSLY QUIET all seasons that drift with almost no warning(silent drift).

Try pushing a set of Yokohama Advan Neovas or Goodyear Deagle F-1 DS-3 tires around Albert park and you'll all comprehend my point with crystal clarity.
Quote from ORION :thats not a race car
can only barely hear the engine hehe :P

Not every race car has such a engine that you cant hear the tyres.Look in the video into mirrorr.You can see there safety cage.As far as I know road cars are not allowed to drive on public roads with safety cage(there are some exception but still there are not allowed to drive daily on the road).

This must be some kind of racing car so you still hear the tyres in some situations.
Quote from MillerM :Try these

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=178916#post178916

fcourse i did . the scrub sound is much louder, maybe heavy skid sound is bit to sharp . but now i have two sounds i hoped for in car sims: that squeek(?) sound which is skidLight or HeavyPre.snd so you can sound on braking like pingpong or basketball players, which i missed in S1. Second one is from the engine and how it hiccups on small bouncing or heavy speed cornering. available in lfs s2.
back to tires - nevertheless there are only 4 samples triggered with forces, like 4 stages of intensity, and they dont vary more continously with amount of wheelspin.

Many people allready increased the original skid soundlevel from 2.0 to 3.0

The new sounds are best at the original 2.0!

Also try different cars...
original skid volume slider is for all scrub, pre, light, heavy minor, major skid sounds.
Quote from Jamexing :Try pushing a set of Yokohama Advan Neovas or Goodyear Deagle F-1 DS-3 tires around Albert park and you'll all comprehend my point with crystal clarity.

You're all wrapped up in the tire and forgetting about the surface.

There's a lot more to it than you're mentioning... Said tire may make X noise on a particular surface and sound totally different at a different location with a different road surface. In my experience it seems that the rougher the surface, the less you can get any tire (including high performance tires) to scream for murder. In contrast, try laying a patch in a parkade and see what it sounds like (reverberations aside).

LFS sounds the same all the time. There are places IRL where the sounds LFS makes are great, and others where it's totally different. And the surface makes far more of a difference than the tire does as far as I can tell. I've been in places where lighting the tires up just sounds like a loud scrubbing, and in places where they screamed all the way through first. Same tires.

Strangely, I also seem to have made numerous observations that oppose the phenomenon you mention... In my experience, the vast majority of the time it's the "normal" tires that make the most noise when they've lost traction both in latitudinal and / or longitudual directions. Any high performance tires I've roasted (or been accomplice to roasting ) were far quieter than typical all-seasons and whatnot.

More to the topic though, I do agree with the idea of more variety etc....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG