The online racing simulator
Whilst I have no issue with the principal of what you are saying ajp, I think there are a few exceptions in LFS. Take as a prime example racing Fox's around South City Classic - which isn't so much a race as it is an adrenaline rush.

A fast driver will do that combo in the 41's, personally i'm in the low 42's. A new driver will typically be in the 44-45 region.

This is all fine.

Sometimes though a driver will come on doing times as slow as a 48, and i've even seen drivers with a best lap of 55s at the end of the race, and a modal lap time over 1 minute.

Whilst lacking speed is not a crime, these drivers are (as Sam says) a hazard, and a dangerous one at that.

In real life you are not limited by monitor resolution and draw distance, but in South City Classic you can come across a 48second a lap driver in the chicane having not previously seen the car until you are already committed to the first right hander of the chicane, and by then it's already far too late.

This is an issue of general competency, if someone is doing 48 second lap times they're taking the chicane in low 2nd gear, on a good lap I take it in 4th with only a slight lift on the way in and there really isnt enough margin to loose that much speed in such a short period of time.

There's other combo's too where speed differential can be a serious issue.

Sure in Endurance racing you can have cars that are 50mph more apart at the top end, but then, not every race track is as open as Le Mans.
#52 - Gunn
To answer the original question: Do they have a right to do this?
The answer is simply: Yes, they do.
I guess servers are like private property (or some kid's sandpit) in a way: people can act like punks if they want and they can also decide who comes in and who gets kicked out, for any reason(s) of their choosing.

Then again, sometimes you'll find a group who are of similar skill and like to have a series of close races with each other. If someone comes in who can't match them they might not like having their field separated or their rhythm ruined or whatever, so they'll eject people as they see fit. Whether that's explained nicely to people, or people are just kicked with no explanation is up to the crew (if no admin's present). It's a fact of life online unfortunately.
Quote from thisnameistaken :People should be banned for opening "I got banned" threads.

Yeah, unless it was some bizarre reason that would be entertaining to read about

Anyways, getting banned for being slow??? I've noticed alot of F*d up attitudes lately... this one takes the cake.

I dunno. I wouldn't sweat it. there are alot of servers with ppl on them during the time you play. I assume you play during primetime in europe.
The people going off on you (this wasn't an oval was it? LOL) may think they're fast and whatever, but if all of them were THAT good, you'd figure going around an occasional hazard would be childs play.

BTW, I was a dreaded mouse newbie too - My advice? Save up for a wheel if you can

That being said, If you log on to a server that's a bunch a fast pple running neck & neck... sit back & spectate for a bit. Sooner or later the race is going to end and they'll more than likely goof off at that point. Then get you
some online time in. Drivng around them as they're bashing each other will give you alot of experience, and since there's no real race going on,
you shouldn't be under any real pressure. And who knows, you might get
a killer set-up to boot
Quote from Gunn :To answer the original question: Do they have a right to do this?
The answer is simply: Yes, they do.

Thats what I was going to say. They are perfectly within their rights to ban you from a server for any reason they see fit. Simple as that. No, it is not fair, but that's life. Life is not fair.
The thing about people like Nutty Boy, is that they don't {appear to} realise that most servers are just started on people's machines as a means to race temporarily, they aren't dedicated services.

Have you ever started your own server? I do all the time and I often get people who're rude & demanding & it p1sses me off because I'm offering my bandwidth and computer services to allow the racing in the first place. Sure I'm polite about it and I don't go banning people for silly reasons, but some people need to realise it's probably some guy's temporary server so try put yourself in their shoes. Or go one step further and host your own server where no one can ban you. I bet you'll find yourself wanting to kick people from from time to time
I used to host a mini-server quite a lot and I never felt the compulsion to kick anyone, I think it was because it only supported 9 cars and therefor didn't attract the pack seeking angry mob.

However I have to admit, for the most part I preffer to be a thrill seaking 20 car angry member of the mob, and that's a whole different story .
Can I just say that the 107% rule no longer exists in F1. It has been replaced by a different rule.

Before: A drivers qualifying time must be within 107% of the pole time to officially qualify.

After: During the fuel burn phase a drivers lap must be within 110% of that drivers fastest lap to be eligable for fuel credits. If a pitstop was made on that lap then the time allowance is increased to 120%. The relative pole difference is not considered.
I was also on that server when you got banned.

OK, it's not 100% fear, but everybody on that server drive's 1.08 a 1.09 constant, you're where driving around 1.16 and ingoring blue flag's, and crasht alot!

We ask't you to go practice offline and you where welcome again when you drive also around 1.09

It's very nice and close racing on that server, and when there is a slow driver that is very irritating for the rest of the people.

I also practiced offline until i drove 1.09.
Quote from garph :Dude, why bother posting if you know what people will think, you seem to know what happens when people post stuff about getting banned but you posted anyway.

Get over it and move on to another server, get faster and when the ban runs out kick thier assess.

I love that one!

But yea, I think, if you can be smart about racing...slow or not, you should not be banned from a server. Thats just not fair. Anyways though, like angel said, dont let little things spoil your day!

BUT!! If we did not here the whole story...and then the previous post stating what the truth was...then the ban maybe was in order, or you should have taken it to yourself to exit the server before they got really agrivated.
Quote from rAcEr2418 :I love that one!

But yea, I think, if you can be smart about racing...slow or not, you should not be banned from a server. Thats just not fair. Anyways though, like angel said, dont let little things spoil your day!

BUT!! If we did not here the whole story...and then the previous post stating what the truth was...then the ban maybe was in order, or you should have taken it to yourself to exit the server before they got really agrivated.

We askt him a couple of times, en wait about 10 minutes, he did'nt listen, so he was banned.
I always obey blue flags.
Quote from nutty boy :I always obey blue flags.

Maybe on your way, but not on the way whe love to see it!

Your PB is 1:26.44 :P
Ouch that's very bad. I admit that myself but i'm a 13 year old mouser with not alot of experience. Some tracks i'm good at, for example Aston something in FOX I'm only 4 seconds from the WR. Clearly FOX anD Blackwood is not a strong point.
I'm often not the quickest on the track, but I follow a couple of simple rules if i'm joining a server which I have limited knowledge of..

1. Download a setup from teaminferno website, so at least you've got half a chance of having a competitively setup car.

2. Watch the race leader in car for a couple of laps to understand where the fast corners are, braking points, what gear you need to be in and what line to be on.

3. Start at the back of the pack and put into practice what you've just seen / learnt

4. If you're anywhere to being lapped, make a point of moving off the racing line and slowing down to let them through easily. (or even off the track if you want to make sure)

5. Goto Step 2.

Racing offline is fine for getting an idea about the track layout, but to go fast, and get progressively faster, nothing beats seeing how other people drive round and then applying that knowledge to your driving.
I haven't raced S2 much since the alpha was released, I must admit, (into doing setups myself, and having the goal-posts moved regularly by frequent physics changes makes any knowledge gained pointless)
I've never considered myself a fast racer, (on rally cross I used to cut quite a dash though )

I find myself sorta put off by the eliteism and find that as a 'newbie' again, LFS is probably losing interest as a result of this sort of attitude.

I visit this forum more regularly than I race and sometimes doubt whether I will take up the wheel again when eventually S2 proper is released.

Vic still owes me a pint though so I might lurk till then lol
WHAT A LOAD OF W*NK, end of the day u gotta learn an as long as your getting round the track in a friendly manner then theres no problem. I'm sorry but do they throw Midlands, Super Agures, etc out of races for being slow??? Its for the quick lads to move around the blue flaggers dag nam it
Most tracks don't always require drastic setup changes.
Actually blonde11 they kicked Ide out because he wasn't competitive enough but since your sticking up for the matter in the first post i'll not mention it.

Anyway I think the pit crew radio people in Super Aguri's when they're not doing well and tell them to dive into a sand trap.
Quote from nutty boy :Actually blonde11 they kicked Ide out because he wasn't competitive enough but since your sticking up for the matter in the first post i'll not mention it.

The FIA kicked him out because it was a matter of when someone got hurt badly because of him.
Quote from tristancliffe :Can I just say that the 107% rule no longer exists in F1. It has been replaced by a different rule.

Before: A drivers qualifying time must be within 107% of the pole time to officially qualify.

After: During the fuel burn phase a drivers lap must be within 110% of that drivers fastest lap to be eligable for fuel credits. If a pitstop was made on that lap then the time allowance is increased to 120%. The relative pole difference is not considered.

That's just because they need bigger fields
Quote from duke_toaster :The FIA kicked him out because it was a matter of when someone got hurt badly because of him.

Still kicked him out cos he was slow.
They didnt kick him because of his speed, they kicked him because of the many mistakes, he made, that could and have endangered the health of him and other drivers.
#74 - Jakg
Quote from nutty boy :Still kicked him out cos he was slow.

no, beacuse he rolled over someone elses car at melbourne. Did you actually read the post you quoted?
Quote from MAGGOT :That's just because they need bigger fields

If they wanted that, they would cut costs. Which they are trying to do, but aren't because the rules are being changed almost every year. Get a good, cheap set, and stick to them!!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG