The online racing simulator
DIY Shifter and Clutch Project.
Hey everyone, I been working on a shifter the last day or so. so here is what i have.

This is what I used. Logitech extreme 3d pro for the shifter because it has a good strong spring. And for the clutch im using a saitek ST290 pro because it was cheap from walmart. Just needed the axis so took out all the other wires and the handle.

I will be using cabnet clips to hold in gear, as it seems like the best way to go. They were to stiff and hard to pull back out of gear so i took fice grips to the part on the shifter to make it skinnier, now it holds just right and is easy to get out.

I kept the shaft long but the box tall so it still has a short actual throw, but it can move far enough to get all 6 gears and reverse.

Here is the diper wipe box that im using for a template, its perfect height and I can cut it easy. Then i will take dimensions and make a real box.

I made my H-Gate out of a license plate mounting kit. Its perfect width and such once you grind it down.

Carbon Fiber shift knob. Real JDM ; ) : P haha

Reverse isnt quite grinded down enough, sticks

First gear

I will update as I go along with pics of the clutch also.
#2 - steve
baby wipes
Quote from steve :baby wipes

Industrial size package too...

I spotted some Behringer gear also!
This has inspired me. I just pulled out my joystick plugged it in and downloaded a program that is able to translate the axis co-ordinates to gears and it works! All this time i had a shifter next to me an i never knew it! The only problem is there is no gate (yet ) and the joystick returns to the center which im not sure how to fix and still have a working joystick for my flight sims.
Any chance you could name this program or even give a link? I'd like to try something like that even if I could just use back/forth motion for changing gears.

Edit - Just plugged the joystick aswell as the steering wheel and didn't realise LFS would detect both of them. I tried to set the gear change to work from the back/forth axis (forget which one it was) but as shift is set to 'sequential' I can't use an axis, only buttons. Tried setting it to 'shifter' but that also needs to buttons. I couldn't figure it out. Is there any way around this?
Use this program mate http://forum.rscnet.org/showpo ... =2532040&postcount=59

There are other versions in the thread but this one works fine. Run the config and set what keys the gears will send to LFS. Then in LFS under shifter put the those keys for the gears.

Here is what i have:
Attached images
this is how.JPG
By the looks of that program it's only for an H-shift pattern.
Is there a way to, pull back = shift up...push forward = shift down?
setting to sequential mode and setting change up and down to the keys that are the keys for 3rd and 4th when running the program sort of works. The only problem is you have to change to another gear if you want to shift up or down more than once in a row which you obviously do. So i dont know if you can im new to this
Thanks for your help anyway. Kinda gutted about that. Another brain wave gone sour.

If anyone knows if it's possible please help.

Edit: Panic over, just figured it out. Didn't realise I could use the Logitech Profiler for the joystick aswell as the wheel. Thought it was for the wheel only. Basically recorded a press of 'A' and 'Z' and assigned them to the Y-axis.
Just need something to hold the joystick down now as it tends to rock back and forth when you use it. What happened to good ol' suction thingies?
Here sir is the answer to your problems. Least it works for me : )

cabnet clips

attach them to the base of your shifter and to the sfhifter rod. then forward and back stays in gear. You will have to use vice grips or something to make the part you attach to the shaft skinnier as its to hard to put it in an out of gears stock. Skinner = easy : D
Quote from spankmeyer :
Industrial size package too...

I spotted some Behringer gear also!

baby wipes box was only thing perfect size, its temporary because i could cut it easy to measure. I am going to get a real box for it haha.

and hell yeah on the behringer. only the best ; )

I play a 7 string.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG