The online racing simulator
Very rude to ban if your too slow. It's ridiculous. The most they should do is say you need some practice, unless you keep getting rammed. They don't need to ban
Having just raced against mr nutty, I have to say he's not a bad racer. Quite fun infact Like the saying, let just it fall off like water on a duck's back, life is too short to worry about things like that too much
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from yegadoyai :the 107% rule applies here, if you aren't capable of racing at 107% of the AVERAGE lap time set by other folk, get off the server because you will (or probably will) ruin the race, inadvertantly I might add.

I agree with this. In a real race you would be black flagged and removed from the track if you're too slow. You become a danger to other drivers and a hazard on the track. If you're not polite enough to remove yourself, then yes, a ban is in order.
Quote from yegadoyai :the 107% rule applies here, if you aren't capable of racing at 107% of the AVERAGE lap time set by other folk, get off the server because you will (or probably will) ruin the race, inadvertantly I might add. I practice offline and only come online to race. If folk are way faster than me then it becomes obvious that you are going to spoil some of thier fun. Chances are you are taking bad lines through corners which force the following car(s) to do some serious negotiating to get by cleanly.

Sorry, you couldn't be further from the point. Provided that you are capable of obeying blue flags and not crashing every other corner, there is nothing wrong with people slower than 107% being on the server.
Quote from alland44 :That is if the server isn`t named pro only or something like that.

Pro only servers are the stupidest thing. I'm a chicane on wheels and they haven't noticed me not being "pro".
Quote from alland44 :If people want to drive undisturbed, pick a closed server to do it on.

I should not have to race in a closed server to expect close, clean racing. If someone is so far off the pace they are getting in the way of competitive racers then they shouldn't be on the server. If said person is not smart enough or respectful enough to remove themselves, then they need to be kicked/banned. There are plenty of servers out there and anyone can run their own. If someone is too slow for a particular server they should find one that better suits their skill level or they should practice offline until they can race cleanly and at least not be a threat to other drivers who are trying to have some close racing.

Quote :As I`ve said before, if you pick an open server, you have to accept the people joining it - As long as they are not wreckers. Or put pro only in the server names. (Or other thing like that - Only skilled drivers etc)

If I'm running a server I'll kick/ban whoever I damn well please. If you don't like it, too bad. I personally don't kick or ban anyone without good reason, but I can see why some people would. You have no right to tell someone how to run THEIR server. If you wanna make the rules? Start your own.

Maybe instead of asking people to put "pro only" or "skilled drivers" in the server name you might ask the people who are slow to start their own servers and put "120% benchmark" or "slow ass drivers only" in their server name?
#32 - SamH
Quote from Cue-Ball :I should not have to race in a closed server to expect close, clean racing. If someone is so far off the pace they are getting in the way of competitive racers then they shouldn't be on the server. If said person is not smart enough or respectful enough to remove themselves, then they need to be kicked/banned. There are plenty of servers out there and anyone can run their own. If someone is too slow for a particular server they should find one that better suits their skill level or they should practice offline until they can race cleanly and at least not be a threat to other drivers who are trying to have some close racing.

Why is it the slower, more typical drivers that have to leave? Why not the primadonnas? LFS isn't exclusively for the elite drivers, and the fastest drivers don't "own" the course any more than the slower ones. If I were confronted with one slow driver desperately trying to get up to speed, gaining momentum and improving on their setup, and one fast driver, bitching about how the slower driver sucks and should be kicked or banned from the server, I can assure you there would be no contest... bye-bye-princess.
Quote from Cue-Ball :If I'm running a server I'll kick/ban whoever I damn well please. If you don't like it, too bad. I personally don't kick or ban anyone without good reason, but I can see why some people would. You have no right to tell someone how to run THEIR server. If you wanna make the rules? Start your own.

If you're running your own server, it's your baby, your rules. I'm not sure I agree with your idea of what constitutes "good reason", at this point, so I'd be avoiding it.

If I were to start a server, I'd do so in the hope that other people would join it. I'd be open to suggestions about what cars and tracks that people want to run, and the way they want to run it, in the hope that it would become a popular server, where people want to be. If I ever were to start a server, that is.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Maybe instead of asking people to put "pro only" or "skilled drivers" in the server name you might ask the people who are slow to start their own servers and put "120% benchmark" or "slow ass drivers only" in their server name?

I think marking your pro-only server as pro-only can only be a good thing. I can't see why anyone would take issue with that suggestion.

It would at least save the hassle of pulling over, and typing your kick/ban instruction every time some non-primadonna joined, anyway.
Quote from SamH :Why is it the slower, more typical drivers that have to leave? Why not the primadonnas?

I wouldn't say it's the slower drivers who have to leave unless they are in the minority. If you've got 10 guys who are running near WR laps and one guy who's spinning every third corner, running 20 seconds off the pace, I think it's reasonable to ask him to leave if you're trying to have a serious, competitive race.

Quote :If you're running your own server, it's your baby, your rules. I'm not sure I agree with your idea of what constitutes "good reason", at this point, so I'd be avoiding it.

90% of the time when I host we're running simple pick-up races and would have no problem with newbies, slowpokes, etc joining. I'm no alien myself, so I have no problem with people running off the pace, learning the track, asking for tips, etc. However; If I've convinced several people to join me running 30 laps at Westhill and someone joins who is obviously far off the pace, blocking people, spinning off in the corners, etc. I would have no problem asking that person to find another server. If they didn't leave after being asked nicely, i'd boot them. I have nothing against slow drivers (and I am one, depending on the track/car combo), but if they're being a hazard on the track for a serious race, they need to leave.

Quote :I think marking your pro-only server as pro-only can only be a good thing. I can't see why anyone would take issue with that suggestion.

Because it's asking people to cater to the lowest common denominator. If it's so easy to make a "pro only" server it should be equally easy to make a "newbie only" server.

I don't think anyone (myself included) has anything against slower drivers or people who don't know the track. Everyone was there at one time or another. The problem only occurs when you've got a sizable group who are trying to have a serious race and another person/group who are slow enough to disrupt it.
Quote from nutty boy :They did ask for me to leave but it wasn't nicely.

I can already imagine how the conversation went...
#35 - SamH
Perhaps the problem isn't slowbies, but hazards. I don't think that slow drivers are an issue, unless you're only a half-good driver - i.e. you're fast, but crap at negotiating obstacles on the track. Even then, it's not the slowbie that's the problem. That being the case, slowbies are useful practice, surely?

Hazards are a different story.. unpredictable or erratic driving styles are difficult to overtake safely. Hazards are not the same as a slow driver.. hazards aren't realistic, in the LFS racing sense, because they're not following racing conventions. There's an argument for removing them from the track during a race, but don't just kick them.. recommend to them somewhere else to go. There are some beginners servers out there, where they can get up to speed in a more friendly environment than a fast, hot race.
I originally posted the '107% rule' as a guide, i didn't mean it to be taken as a literal rule. I think that if I was racing on a server where everyone was hovering around 2-3 sec a lap faster than me I'd probably leave. But that is my choice. Like I said a ban is harsh but you do have to consider the fact that your actions have an impact on the other players.

IMHO a slow/practicing racer should try and do so in thier own time or on quiet servers. Unless you purposely set your server up to have the GTRs and the XFG on the track (or some other silly combo) then it would be expected that you'd try and find folk that are roughly the same level as you.

Can you imagine anyone getting kicked from CS:Source after being headshotted 20 times in a row? No, why? They'd have got bored and left to find a better balanced server. We all know that racing has a 'pureist' element to it that you can have fun when it is just you, the car and the track. But if that is the only factor you are taking from it then do it alone.
Normally I totally welcome new drivers, i'm keen to see LFS gain popularity. There is however one pre-condition, respect for other racers (which sometimes veterans are guilty of not having) and a basic level of competence.

Today I verbally bitch-slapped a driver who was clearly new to the game. Without wanting to be rude about it, the guy just wasn't ready to race online. I don't know if it's the same guy making this opening post (although the guy who I spoke too wasn't banned off he just left).

The thing is this driver was significantly slower than the rest of the field, I was lapping him around every two and a half laps of AS Club in the Fox, the speed differential was enormous and so approaching him involved taking evasive action, one moment he was a dot on the mini-map, the next I was fighting to avoid the barrier because i'd approached at around 80mph or more speed difference.

It would have been more appropriate for that driver to have either learned the basics of racing line and general driving in either a slower class of car with a lower speed differential, or in single player mode.

You are ready to race online when you can string some laps together without crashing, you don't need to be Fernando Alonso, you can be a good few seconds off the pace, but it is possible to drive so slowly that you are unsafe. Look what happened to Ide in Formula One ... super license revoked because of incompetency.

I've nothing against new drivers, quite the opposite, and i'm usually there with an easy-drive setup and some helpful advise, although today's muppet would have been hard pushed to get co-operation after what he did at T1... He hit me hard enough to play through 4 more cars.

It's ok to be slow, but it's not ok to lack basic competency. Other people are sharing the same environment and if a driver is so bad they are disrupting the fair play for other competitors, then they have to go away and get some practice before coming back.

LFS is a hard game to master, especially on mouse, and it only takes one bad apple and 6 cars have their race ruined ... as happened in the T1 incident above.
Quote from the_angry_angel :Having just raced against mr nutty, I have to say he's not a bad racer. Quite fun infact Like the saying, let just it fall off like water on a duck's back, life is too short to worry about things like that too much

Your welcome. It was a good race.

And anyway i'd much rather go to a server with nice people who welcome slow drivers than a server which you get banned just because your not up to theit speed and experience.
If the server is public everyones entitled to join, slow or fast
#39 - SamH
Becky, that driver, THAT slow, wasn't a slow driver.. he was a hazard. I agree.. but it's a different drum of pilchards from someone who's simply "not all that fast".
Becky it wasn't me, I saw you for 10 minutes in the german gamers club server but you weren't in the server when I got banned.
Quote :Becky it wasn't me, I saw you for 10 minutes in the german gamers club server but you weren't in the server when I got banned.

Great wasn't I ?
You were quite good actually.You had to go because your sis was irritating you or something.

Anyway, everyone I would now like to confess, I GOT BEAT BY A GIRL.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I should not have to race in a closed server to expect close, clean racing. If someone is so far off the pace they are getting in the way of competitive racers then they shouldn't be on the server. If said person is not smart enough or respectful enough to remove themselves, then they need to be kicked/banned. There are plenty of servers out there and anyone can run their own. If someone is too slow for a particular server they should find one that better suits their skill level or they should practice offline until they can race cleanly and at least not be a threat to other drivers who are trying to have some close racing.

If I'm running a server I'll kick/ban whoever I damn well please. If you don't like it, too bad. I personally don't kick or ban anyone without good reason, but I can see why some people would. You have no right to tell someone how to run THEIR server. If you wanna make the rules? Start your own.

Maybe instead of asking people to put "pro only" or "skilled drivers" in the server name you might ask the people who are slow to start their own servers and put "120% benchmark" or "slow ass drivers only" in their server name?

I have my own server, slow drivers are welcome there !

I often see servers named as beginners ... or noobs (Not the team NOOBS) They exist !

And finally.
Yes ! New slow drivers should know, when beaten with many laps, and people are murring, that it is time to find another place to drive.
It goes both ways !
Quote :You had to go because your sis was irritating you or something.

My greatness and general brilliance was shadowed by screaming 2 inches from my ear which went along the lines of:

"IS THIS DISTRACTING YOU?"
"DID YOU JUST HIT A WALL?"
"ARE YOU ANNOYED YET?"
Quote from Becky Rose :My greatness and general brilliance was shadowed by screaming 2 inches from my ear which went along the lines of:

"IS THIS DISTRACTING YOU?"
"DID YOU JUST HIT A WALL?"
"ARE YOU ANNOYED YET?"

Is your sis still alive ?
Quote from Becky Rose :My greatness and general brilliance

OK becky don't get carried away
I think the current hot spell in the UK is causing people to spam sh*t
Bollocks
you have a point though. i prefer to stay out of the heat and therefore i tend to go on this forum more. although i try to not post shite all the time. i prefer snow and cold much better. and the dark. its peacefull and relaxing.
Quote from Cue-Ball :I agree with this. In a real race you would be black flagged and removed from the track if you're too slow.

No you won't backmarkers often lap at bellow 107% pace IRL without causing a problem. Then you get championships with different classes, for example lap records from the Morgan Challenge round Brands Indy, class A being race prepared down to class D and E being standard road cars.

Quote :

A

B

C

D

E

The 107% cut off is around the 55 second mark. I know this series can't currently get any faster because the MSA won't allow a greater speed differential, although much larger differences are present in endurance events

I don't think speed is the issue, so long as people are in control and predictable there isn't any reason why they can't lap round slowly.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG