The online racing simulator
You know what would be good
(71 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :

People who dislike Top Gear tend to have missed the point.
People who prefer 5th gear tend to have been stabbed by the same point in the head.

TopGear is annoying me more and more. It's the intentional ineptitude, which would be funny, if it were not so obviously intentional. I used to like their "adventures" but now to watch those parts of the show is to wait for them to "accidentally" set something on fire or cock sometime up in an amusing way. Trying too hard maybe, but it's getting boring, might help if they could act a bit.

I prefer parts of 5th gear *checks head* to those parts of Top Gear.
Top gear is a rather entertaining show. It`s guys like us, given the chanche to testride new car models.

Sometimes they make a lot of funny episodes, like the time they tried to smash a porsche, and the Toyota - LOL !

But they are englishmen, so all of their descisions, favors english build cars. That I don`t like about the show.
One day Denmark will make a real car - there are quite a few of you, and if you all club together I see no reason why you couldn't make something car like in a couple of months

*runs in case alland44 has no sense of humour*
Quote from sinbad :I used to like their "adventures" but now to watch those parts of the show is to wait for them to "accidentally" set something on fire or cock sometime up in an amusing way. Trying too hard maybe, but it's getting boring, might help if they could act a bit.

I dont think they will particullary need their actor skills in the FullMotionRacing . I just wonder what will they compare that with?

not suggested before collision detection bug fix
Regardless of whether Top Gear is any good, it is still one of the most (probably THE most) watched Car Programme there is and would certainly help LFS's exposure. However, I think that LFS's selling point is primarily the RACING (online) and it would be this that should be stressed when attempting to gain exposure through a TV Programme like Top Gear.

JC drove around GT4 on his own trying to discover whether his lap times were comaprable with a real cars lap time. Pointless in doing the same again with LFS and impossible (unless of course he drives one of the 'real' cars in LFS in real life. But they have not tried racing! especially online or over LAN. Now that would be exciting to see. It could certainly fill a 5 minute slot and still remain entertaining I think.
Topgear WONT test drive LFS on there show, or anywhere else for that matter.

How do I know this, well me and Tristancliffe worked for Cyberseat at the MPHShow 05 last year. ( Basically its Top Gear, Live show ) JC and crew all had a walk around and saw LFS Running on a wide screen with cyberseat. We tried to convince JC to "hop" in and have a go. He said, and I quote "That looks to complicated and my back hurts" OK so the Cyberseat may have played on his back a little, but "To Complicated"

Now this was actually at the Top Gear Show, its right there infront of them, and they still did have a go. They didn't want to embarasse themselves
Quote from tristancliffe :5th gear is even worse - they insist on believing that have a group of grannies stand next to their favourite supermini somehow qualifies as a decent result. Then they'll take a clapped out car and do a test badly to show how crashes occur. The fat bloke who clearly is a fool shouldn't be allowed on television. The only saving grace is VBH.

Tom "that fat bloke" Ford is actually, in my view, a better motoring journo than that idiot Clarkson. And you failed to mention Tiff Needell and Jason Plato. Who can both actually drive on a track, unlike the Top Gear presenters, especially May and Clarkson.

Quote :What it tries to do is provide entertainment with cars.

And it doesn't most of the time. (OK, I am partial to a bit of caravan destruction here and there, but who isn't)

Quote :JC says things that are contoversial on purpose, and there is a fantastic comedic trio with the presenters who bounce off each other very well.

JC is just a p*nis. Like the shape of his house. He lives on the Isle of Man (obviously just to not pay taxes).

Quote :People who dislike Top Gear tend to have missed the point.

People who dislike Top Gear do not want the BBC to pander to the lowest common denominator in motoring shows.

5th gear is the only thing at a sensible time worth watching on Channel 5.
Quote from Fordman :well me and Tristancliffe worked for Cyberseat at the MPHShow 05 last year.

I was waiting for some Yank saying "so you Brit claim it better !!?"
...but noone appeared

so i did that
Quote from fix1234 :Just a thought : instead of shitty show TopGear, LFS could make on "5th gear" show.

that show is gay
Tiff and Jason can drive, but as presenters I think they are seriously lacking. Tom Ford might be a good writing journalist, but on TV he just comes across as a fool.

I think it does, as long as you accept they aren't trying to be serious, or do serious races/challenges etc. Some of the time it's not funny (like wrecking perfectly good cars), but it's just about the only TV program I consider watching.

JC lives in the Cotswolds, not the Isle of Mann. It's quite a nice house if you must know

As for the lowest common denominator, I'll agree with you there - dumbing down (or sexing up) of TV is a big problem - many documentaries are a joke because they are made for people who like Big Brother. They have a sad lack of capacity for anything more complicated than "10:15 in the Diaaaaaaaaaaaaaarryyy Rooooooooooooooom".

Quote :5th gear is the only thing at a sensible time worth watching on Channel 5.

I'll agree with you there, but it's not exactly up against much competition now is it. Do more than a dozen houses get good reception on C5 yet?
Quote :But they are englishmen, so all of their descisions, favors english build cars. That I don`t like about the show.

This doesn't happen that often tbh, sure jc raves about the noble, but if I had the chance to drive one I'm sure I would as well :X.
Btw, rover blaimed topgear when they went under. Instead of blaiming the crappy grannymobiles.

Quote :I'll agree with you there - dumbing down (or sexing up) of TV is a big problem - many documentaries are a joke because they are made for people who like Big Brother. They have a sad lack of capacity for anything more complicated than "10:15 in the Diaaaaaaaaaaaaaarryyy Rooooooooooooooom".

Sadly all too true, best example is Horizon, used to make some great docu's now its more like a discovery channel show :/.
#62 - MR_B
^ How it's made, I love that show :P
Quote from tristancliffe :

I'll agree with you there, but it's not exactly up against much competition now is it. Do more than a dozen houses get good reception on C5 yet?

Poor Tristan, still receiving your TV through an analogue aerial?
Quote from sinbad :Poor Tristan, still receiving your TV through an analogue aerial?

I'm still receiving bog standard terrestrial (I.E. 5 channels) and get C5 no problem

I hate Sky. Ban them from showing anything. Kill rupert murdoch.
Quote from duke_toaster :I'm still receiving bog standard terrestrial (I.E. 5 channels) and get C5 no problem

I hate Sky. Ban them from showing anything. Kill rupert murdoch.

Me too - I get SKY+ fine too!
I don't know why people think it would be cool to have an opinion from Top Gear people about LFS? Are they some kind of gods? Maybe as a TV persons but the fact that Jeremy actually claimed GT4 to be realistic in the first place tells that his knowledge about simulations is really lacking. Actually any real racing driver's opinion about any racing game (even arcade ones like GT4) might have pretty low information value because it depends how much he knows about racing games and simulations in general.

ps. In the newest ASS Magazine there is an interesting article about some retired BTCC (and many other series) racing driver who has played sims since GPL and he was now working on racing cockpits (btw, actual quote from him: "GTR1 was completely unrealistic!" ).
Quote from deggis :I don't know why people think it would be cool to have an opinion from Top Gear people about LFS?

Exposure and publicity. Doesn't matter what their opinion may be. As long as it's not highly negative, people will hear the name and go check it out. I bet one short mention on Top Gear would increase the number of LFS players ten-fold.
#68 - MR_B
speaking of publicity... I went to the british international motor show today, loved it n' all but.... THERE WAS NO LFS!? WHY, even at the big outside BMW thing there was no simulator with LFS, I was looking forward to putting in a hotlap or 2, and then checking out the names at the top of the list on here.....but no, nothing. Sheesh.

International? International my..... Bruce Forsythe!
my chanel 5 is basically piss, i cant watch it prob a good thing coz its crap. we have cable downstairs but i live in my room lol. i have a little ariel in my room that cost 1p or summot but i dont need channel 5 to watch 5th gear
Quote from GWADanny :my chanel 5 is basically piss, i cant watch it prob a good thing coz its crap. we have cable downstairs but i live in my room lol. i have a little ariel in my room that cost 1p or summot but i dont need channel 5 to watch 5th gear

Holy macaroly !
I thougth you said - My chanel no 5
lol im not a prozzy

You know what would be good
(71 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG