The online racing simulator
2013 F1 Malaysia GP
(288 posts, started )
Quote from PMD9409 :He didn't, unless you're thinking that Williams had a fast car last year.

Won a race - had plenty of opportunities to be on the podium had they not had the catastrophe that is Maldonado and the mediocre Senna they could have reached those opportunities.
Quote from PMD9409 :He didn't, unless you're thinking that Williams had a fast car last year.

They did, you don't win a race like they/Maldonado did at Barcelona by some anomaly.
A quick car sure, but not necessarily a fast car that would be there every race.
Quote from tristancliffe :Salo was hardly "the best".

Oi! Ofc he was
Salo was / is my fav F1 driver since the '97 Monaco GP
#280 - CSF
Quote from CSF :Thing is, this is probably Newey's first consistent period since the early 90's. The vast majority of his McLaren's were utter disasters, as were his first two Red Bulls. He really didn't have a handle on the latter pre 2009 era car packages. When he's good, he's good, but when he's bad he's utterly stinking. Due a stinker with the new rules I suspect.

due to Mclaren being Mclaren and force him to do shit their stupid way and ruin championship destroying designs, Newey barely had much freedom with his designs and thats why he got fed up and left, where as red bull basically designed the whole team around him.

Williams if you look, always had a championship beater under Newey, problem is reliability Gremlins usually made it look less convincing or cost them a title.

Surely if they had a decent driver like Mika instead of Hill for 1994 and 1995 they would of won those too.
Quote from CSF :I think McLaren's unreliability is overstated because of the 2005 car. That was the only genuinely quick car they produced between 2001 and 2006.

2001 was good in phases, but had an inherent design flaw with the front wing that meant they were third best at a fair number of tracks.

2002 awfuly slow car, well of Ferrari and Williams.

2003 Newey's car never raced, an unmitigated failure on grand scale. MP4-17D was the most consistent car, but was not an Adrian Newey car.

2004 Terrible car for pretty much the whole season.

2005 - Best car speed wise, but not the best package

2006 - Third best, occasionally behind others too.

2007 Red Bull - Middle of the midfield.

2008 Red Bull - Probably the worst Red Bull since they took over from Jaguar.

So, yes, Newey produced one World beater between 2001 and 2008.

2008 was not that bad, its just with the Renault engine which lacked loads of HP on rivals that year made it look worse, the Ferrari engine in STR showed its potential better.

Also regulations didn't change much in his first two years at Redbull, so improvement was incremental.
Quote from Intrepid :Well we can argue all the day about that but since 2009 Vettel has enjoyed at worst the 'equal best' car on the grid. In retrospect he may have blown the 2009 title too. Unless we see him out of RedBull, or up against a decent team-mate there'll always be doubts. I must add that these doubts are irrelevant as championships are what really count.

But RedBull are protecting him, because they could have had Hamilton this year. But they didn't want to upset their little baby and kept Webber, someone who they know he can easily beat.

Problem isn't Red Bull, its Helmut Marko hes going around telling everyone Vettel is better then sliced bread(because Marko was the one that found him and put him into the driver program)and since his position is basically Number 2 in Redbull and he oversees all of the racing program he is able to make sure his star pick makes him look good for years to come.

Its the whole reason why there management is totally clueless and all over the place, they have no control over Vettel because Marko has made sure its that way.
Wasn't Newey who designed them Mika Hakkinen's championship cars?
Quote from N I K I :Wasn't Newey who designed them Mika Hakkinen's championship cars?

yes
thanks autosport forum DDD

2013 F1 Malaysia GP
(288 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG