Steering assistant
(13 posts, started )
Steering assistant
Hi,
When I drive around a track and I lose control over the car, there seems to be some strange steering assistant that tries to get you out of the spin and it corrects the steering position for you. I was just wondering, is there any way to disable this feature?
Are you using keyboard to drive?

Try change it to "Keyboard - No help" (or whatever its called) instead of "keyboard - stabilised"

You can change that in options > Controls and click were it says "Keyboard Stabilised" (third option down)
No I'm using steering wheel
This is correct behavior. Forces acting on the front wheels will try to steer the wheels into the direction of car's motion. LFS simulates this effect very well actually.
Well, exactly, they should steer the wheels in the direction of the car's motion, but it does exactly opposite thing. Let's say I'm turning left and I get oversteer and at that point my steering turns right to get the car out of the slide. I don't think, that's what's supposed to happen.
Quote from dhbora :Well, exactly, they should steer the wheels in the direction of the car's motion, but it does exactly opposite thing. Let's say I'm turning left and I get oversteer and at that point my steering turns right to get the car out of the slide. I don't think, that's what's supposed to happen.

Maybe you have the force feedback on your wheel set too high and this is why you think it's strange ?
Turn force feedback off if you wanna remove that effect.

Or decrease it till fits your requirements.
No, I want to have force feedback, the only thing is, I don't think it works right ... unless I'm wrong, and perhaps it is the correct behaviour (like MadCatX said). Because, I was sure that if you get an oversteer while turning left, then the steering wheel should turn left even more, however, I'm not a racing driver, so it's quite likely that I'm wrong ... just want to be sure that this is what's supposed to happen.
Quote from dhbora :Well, exactly, they should steer the wheels in the direction of the car's motion, but it does exactly opposite thing. Let's say I'm turning left and I get oversteer and at that point my steering turns right to get the car out of the slide. I don't think, that's what's supposed to happen.

This is exactly what's supposed to happen. If you're turning in a real car and you take your hands off the wheel, it will begin to turn back and it will eventually center itself. The same effect (action-reaction principle) is what corrects a car when it oversteers. This effect is very prominent in LFS if you have a high end wheel like G2x or some Fanatec.
Oh, ok.I think I'll just need to adjust the FF settings in this case. In fact I've set them according to this http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Wheels but for some reason it feels very stiff (but then again, maybe it's supposed to be so stiff ). Thanks for the help.
If it's too stiff, try reducing the spring (all the way down to 5-10%) and keep the FFB for other effects. I sometimes change the settings depending on what car/mood I want to explore. However, there should not be a "strange feeling" at all, so I suggest you spend some time on exploring your possibilities. Good luck mate!

Just to add another comment, it may well take you a week of tweaking your config until you are completely satisfied. But it's totally worth spending that time so you feel that you are driving the car and not the other way around .
if you have analogue steer smooth set a little high (options - misc) then this can have similar effects
If for whatever reason you're sure that the FFB is wrong, try negative FFB strength setting.

But according to what you're written I believe the behavior is correct.

Steering assistant
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG