The online racing simulator
Just Imangine LFS in Your Browser.
http://vimeo.com/55561636

Done in WebGL, the graphics seem to be about on par with Live For Speed. I think it would be very interesting to see a Browser version of LFS.
Who wants to drive with a phone?
Although I see developments of API's as quite interesting, I believe LFS is a bit too complex to transfer into a web browser. I could be wrong though.
On the other side, is there really a need for it - why would it be interesting? (i.e. what are the benefits?). Just wondering.
Thanks for the link btw.

PS: It sure looks good with a FPS@65 at the showcase. DS
Why would you want to drive a car by moving your phone?
I'm a just a sim racer here, wheel and pedals or forget it, in fact I'd go as far as saying that if you can drive a car with anything else (even a mouse) its NOT A SIM but an arcade game???

Simon
You know that you can get controller inputs in the browser as well, yes?

But yeah, games like LFS in a browser isnt happening yet.
For traditional PC use, it's fine. But I don't see much benefit. Making demo-trying easier?

For mobile, we all know touch/gyro control sucks. If anyone knows a way to make it suck less, please post. Whether it's browser-based or not doesn't really matter here.

@Simon
Look out, there are motion platform people around.
Right.. Tire physics being reverse engineered in 10 seconds. Nah.

Useless.
Ridiculous. I mean, we're simracers, not phone gamers in terms of racing! Pretty useless for us who hope some great sims get released.
You guys are focussing on the wrong part.

Yes in this demo, a phone was used as the input method.. but in recent versions of Chrome (or it may be beta).. there's the ability to access Gamepad inputs from Javascript. Thus allowing some useful interactions.

For instance.. a LFS remote which was 3d and in WebGL, with cars and track.. and you could use a Xbox controller to navigate through the environment and interact/follow cars.

There are a lot of possibilities with the browser.. especially because Javascript is VERY fast (not quite as fast as C.. but is close).

There's actually not a lot stopping browser games from becoming more advanced other than the stigma that Javascript has of being a "toy" language. The recent things that have been added as well (Typed javascript arrays) are pivotal for a 3d engine for efficiency and speed.
Thank you dusty for pointing out the part that is important! You don't even have to do it in JavaScript, you can still do the whole game in C / C++ with the NaCl backend. You really could have LFS in your browser, running native on every platform, Mac, Linux, Windows.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG