Elite: Dangerous
(23 posts, started )
Oh hell yes.

Until I started playing World Of Tanks, I have NEVER put so much time into playing a game as Frontier on the Amiga.

Try firing it up on WinUAE, set to emulate an Amiga 4000. It completely eliminates the pretty atrocious frame-rate problems it had on the 500 and 600, and makes it even more of a joy to play.
This will be big.

I assume it will be a bit like EVE Online?
279K now, trending towards 8.5 million
That's why I said 'early days'
Looks like a lot of people spent their xmas money on a pledge.
Considering one pledge says that you'll have a planet named after you and there were a 100 available... 100 planets, holy shit.
Considering the original Elite had 2048 stars (each with a planet), I'd hope there'll be considerably more than 100.
That much is certain.

Frontier had 100,000,000,000 stars, with about 8 planets each. And that was in the nineties, so we'll be in for a big ol galaxy with modern hardware... IF it gets funded.
Quote from Matrixi :That much is certain.

Frontier had 100,000,000,000 stars, with about 8 planets each. And that was in the nineties, so we'll be in for a big ol galaxy with modern hardware... IF it gets funded.

They artificially limited the size of the galaxies, and how many galaxies there were, when they launched the first 8-bit version, following a recommendation from the publishers not to make the world seem random even though it was all fractals.
Funding goal reached! It's happening.
Holyshityesyesyes
Kickstarter campaign has finished, they got over £1.5 million in the end

The stretch goals for a Mac version (which I imagine will make a lot of people very, very happy) and to add 10 extra ships have also been hit.
Between this and Star Citizen, we're gonna be in space sim heaven soon.
Oh wow.

Spurred by this, and with some help from WinUAE, I've spent the past 3 days playing nothing but Frontier Elite II.

I've started in the Lave system - something I never did on the Amiga since the pirates there made it so difficult - and I'm enjoying it again like it was the first time I ever played it. I think a lot of the charm of having the old polygonal graphics is that it means your imagination fills in the gaps with a greater richness than could ever be achieved with the latest shaders and graphics hardware (not that I'm not a fan of modern awesome graphics)

I'm currently trying to find a shipyard that will sell me a Radar Mapper so I can start collecting some bounties, but when you start in Lave you have outstanding 70,000 credit fines to pay with both the Federation and Empire so I can't go to the usual systems to find the good shipyards. Can anyone remember the best Independent shipyards in that area of space? I can't really find any so I think my best bet is to fill up with fuel and do a big string of jumps over to Sirius and that part of Independent systems.
Can you tell me hpw to go about getting it running?

Id love to try it myself.
Download WinUAE. http://www.winuae.net/

It's an Amiga emulator which can emulate pretty much any Amiga that was produced.

You'll need the Amiga Kickstart ROM image and the Frontier Disk image. These can be got by googling 'Amiga ROM download' and 'Amiga Kickstart ROM'. They're pretty easy to find. You might need to use a torrent search to get the Kickstarts.

I'll not post direct links as they're technically copyrighted I might get in trouble with the mods, although I suppose they're now considered Abandonware.

Once you've got them, it's just a case of setting the correct paths to the ROMs in WinUAE, setting the frontier Disk image as drive DF0 and pressing start.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG