The online racing simulator
Outgauge data format / issue
(17 posts, started )
Hi,

I'm reading outgauge in Python, and printing it to the screen. I've started with the code example here... http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/OutSim_/_OutGauge

However, the data doesn't seem correct. RPM seems right, but speed seems to be a bit less than half of actual, and engtemp is always zero (although it shows correctly in the game). Any idea why this is? I suspected data format issues, but the returned data is strings, which printed to the screen as is, is incorrect. Where can I find the format of the outgauge packets?

Thanks.
Engine temp isn't currently modelled by LFS at all, so it always shows up as zero in OutGauge. The temp dial in game is static and never changes.

OutGauge reports speed in m/s, so you'll have to manually convert it to mph or km/h yourself.

For more details about OutGauge, see the end of /docs/InSim.txt in your LFS install directory.
Quote from Degats :The temp dial in game is static and never changes.

Actually on LFS it shows FPS count, while on OutGauge it will be always zero.
Yes, just do a *3.6 .
Quote from Whiskey :Actually on LFS it shows FPS count, while on OutGauge it will be always zero.

Most cars do actually have a temp gauge, the FPS count is only in the non-turbo variants of some cars.

(clock, temp, FPS)
Quote from Whiskey :Actually on LFS it shows FPS count, while on OutGauge it will be always zero.

That's awesome, I never noticed that.
Of all the "primary" gauges I need, speed and rpm are great, fuel is nice to have, but engine temp, oil temp, and oil pressure all seem to be not reported, and I'd like to have 2 of those. Bummer.
That data is not simulated yet, so LFS itself don't know those values neither.

I'm waiting for the day that those things and brake temps are introduced.
Yeah, I found LFS as I needed to build a racecar sim to demo some products at a tradeshow. I'm now down to scrapping the project, or simulating temps somehow ... Temp = 170 deg-F + (RPM /100) etc) to fake some values. I don't need actual values, but something with realistic-looking values would be nice.
I can fake oil pressure as mostly tied to RPM I'd think, with some adjustment for temps, which itself would be faked as described above.

Wondering if it's worth it now.

BTW, is boost implemented? The demo version does not have any usable turbo'ed cars so I can't check.
Turbo boost is properly simulated and reported through OutGauge, with both +ve and -ve pressure.

Oil pressure (based mostly on RPM iirc) and Engine temp are faked ingame, but not simulated. I had assumed they'd work in OutGauge as well, but they appear not to.
Oil temp isn't simulated or faked at all afaik.

If you just want to show the temp & oil pressure dials doing *something* and not really bothered what, you could use the pedal input info.
My annoying omission is that outgauge doesn't have a simple "car is on/off" flag. You can detect a stall cause battery and oil lights go on. But you can't detect if someone turns off the car with the ignition button. (Other than waiting til RPM gets to a value below 300 or so)
Quote from dawesdust_12 :My annoying omission is that outgauge doesn't have a simple "car is on/off" flag. You can detect a stall cause battery and oil lights go on. But you can't detect if someone turns off the car with the ignition button. (Other than waiting til RPM gets to a value below 300 or so)

When a car is "turned off", RPM and speed is exactly zero and no dashboard lights are lit (maybe with exception of hazard lights and beam, I didn't check that). I can't think of any other condition under which you'd get the same readings. Except for the situation when a driver switches ignition off while the car is moving it's fairly easy to approximate the "on/off" status of a car.
I did fake it in my code... It just seems really obvious to have it. Just more for the thing I'm building. I want to emulate an "off" state (no lights, gear indicator set to '-')... but I can't do that in LFS without basically saying "car has 0 RPM"... which isn't the best solution.
The ignition button doesn't actually turn off the car, only the engine, so there is no full off state in LFS where the entire dash would be off. All dash lights and gauges work at all times, regardless of the state of ignition/rpm/whatever.
There still the desire to know of the engine is off. It's something that seems like it would be handy to have access to.
How does it work?
Quote from aadysor :How does it work?

Is this at me? I had to put the project on hold for the trade show due to time, but I'm planning to do it over the Christmas break.

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG